I am shopping for my first set of Klipsch...

sbcoffey42

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post as I just joined the forums today. The reason I am posting is that I have decided to buy a vintage Marantz receiver and I need to get the "right" pair of speakers for this. I will use this amp just for listening to music, cd's, vinyl, and, use my iPod as a source. When I went shopping for an amp, the salesman paired a Marantz 2245 with an older set of Heresy speakers, they looked like II's. It was the first time I have every really heard such detail and clarity, so naturally I want a pair. The demo song was Dave Brubeck, "Take five", and I was amazed that I could actually hear George Morrello's stick hit the ride cymbal. I am fully prepared to get a pair of Heresy's, new or used but I thought I would see if anyone could share an expert opinion on what speaker would be a better match for a vintage solid state receiver.

The system will be in a carpeted room with finished drywall ceilings and walls. I would say its a small to medium sized room. I have not bought the receiver yet, it could be a 222x,3x, or 4x all three would be more than adequate. So I guess my question would be is the Heresy too much, or not enough. I listened to an R-26 and R-28 at my local ABC Warehouse but they only had one speaker each so i don't want to judge the sound of that until I can find a place that will actually let me hear the speakers. Also, are there any bookshelf speakers that would also get the job done?

Any help or guidance would greatly be appreciated.

Any number of  klipch speakers will sound great with that receiver.    Depends on the music you like.    The Hersey I've heard seemed a little weak on the low end but they are very clear.

If you like it loud and clear the chorus and larger ones are nice.

From what I have read the Fortes are a very good balance.  They deliver good sound from low levels and loud and have good bass.

• Like 1

Welcome!  You are in a similar position I was in almost 7 years ago.  Next thing I knew I owned 2 old pairs of Cornwalls. Added about a pair a year for a while after that.   Depending on your budget you will not go wrong with ANY Heritage Klipsch speakers!   I kind of consider Heresy's to be bookshelf speakers :)  but with much bigger sound than their size.  

I am finding plenty on Ebay but no one wants to ship, and I don't blame them. so what is meant by the extended heritage series? Budget wise, I am prepared to buy new Heresy's but the more money I save the more stuff I buy. I listened to the Heresy's, and they passed the girlfriend check, meaning they can go in "her" living room. One other thing, would a sub be necessary?

• Like 1

are there any bookshelf speakers that would also get the job done?

For music, I really like the RP-160M. They are balanced nicely and have a surprising amount of bass. I literally listen to rap on them in a 9,000 cubic foot room and don't complain. Just a killer price for what they are.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Welcome to the forum sbcoffey. If you can afford the Heritage series, hands down go for it. I am just down the way from you and there are some good deals that come up on your local Craigslist. The Heresies, Fortes, Cornwalls, etc are all amazing speakers. As far as bookshelf I really like the KSB 3.1 and SB-3. Also keep an eye on the KG series. All are nice sounding speakers

Tim 

The need for a sub kind of depends on how serious and loud you want to get. Most of my listening is actually hard rock and low'ish levels. Foo Fighters, Metallica, 90's alternative, etc. primarily as background music. I love bass as much as the next guy but I don't really feel the need to add a sub for this type of situation. The RP-160M covers bass guitars and kick drums just fine at low'ish to medium volumes. Heresy is probably a different story due to the sealed design.

I am finding plenty on Ebay but no one wants to ship, and I don't blame them. so what is meant by the extended heritage series? Budget wise, I am prepared to buy new Heresy's but the more money I save the more stuff I buy. I listened to the Heresy's, and they passed the girlfriend check, meaning they can go in "her" living room. One other thing, would a sub be necessary?

I sent you a PM.

Give me a call at 419-231-5494.

I live in Bluffton, Ohio, between Lima and Findlay

Roger

Nothing wrong with buying a new set of Heresy speakers. My first Klipsch system was just that and always put a smile on my face! If you end up needing to beef up the low end you simply add a well chosen sub down the road. I say go for it Klipsch deserves the new customer...the current version Heresy is the best they ever produced..

• Like 4

It was Heresy's that hooked me too. I think the receiver was a JVC, but that was 37 years ago.  :)

Marantz with the horizontal tuning dial is IMO the best looking, but don't rule out some other fine vintage tuners. Pioneer made some great receivers of that vintage too. When you are budgeting for a vintage receiver, keep in mind that even a mint condition receiver that is 40 years old may need to make a trip to the electronics repair guy to get it right.