Hawking is on a Roll - Black Holes to Power the Earth! (And a Nobel~!)

Jim Naseum

OTOH, getting power from black holes orbitting the earth may be a moot point for a couple generations. The reserves of natural gas just keep growing, and the price is falling like a rock. 

Reserves are now over 7T ft3. And growing. And of course, there is still oodles of oil, and even larger oodles of coal. 

post-61387-0-99680000-1455220737.png

I just saw where two LIGO arrays have probably detected gravity waves from, "A merger of two black holes".

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gravitational-waves-discovered-from-colliding-black-holes1/

Seems to prove Einstein's theory of general relativity. Somebody's going to get a Nobel prize for this.

This is the coolest shit ever.  Some other good pieces from one of my favorite cosmology authors HERE and HERE

Thanks for those links. This discovery is really huge because this increases what we know about gravity 10 fold. This will be the basis for future gravitational research for many years to come.

I doubt Hawking is able to beat his own, but at the same time this is the guy who is warning us how AI will destroy all humans who now speaks of creating black holes for power close to the earth.  I wonder if the hole is to be built by our AI robots?

Exactly!  The man might be very intelligent, but these soothsayer-like predictions are fun to ponder over but not of a whole lot of use.

Then science is of no use? 

So far, you have discounted the use of introspective philosophy and science. 

I guess science starts with a guess, too.  However, one should be careful not to decorate a guess too colorfully and allow it to become "science."  It's still a guess.  To guess is the most rudimentary step into the scientific method. I believe it's called a "hypothesis."  Call it "hypothesis" if you will, but it's just a guess, and if it's a guess nobody can test, I will go back to my analogy of "beating one's meat."

Edited by Jeff Matthews

and if it's a guess nobody can test, I will go back to my analogy of "beating one's meat."

Nobody could test for the existence of atoms for 2 millennia.  I would hold there is NOTHING than cannot be tested. 

Dave

Why is testing the heart of the matter? 

I find it almost unbelievable that people don't find any application in their life for believing in some cosmological theory or another. 

and if it's a guess nobody can test, I will go back to my analogy of "beating one's meat."

Nobody could test for the existence of atoms for 2 millennia.  I would hold there is NOTHING than cannot be tested. 

Dave

Why is testing the heart of the matter? 

I find it almost unbelievable that people don't find any application in their life for believing in some cosmological theory or another. 

Because they actually do.  Relax.

Open to thoughts.  What would be such an application?

Dave

My suggestion would be to inquire with Catholics, Jews, Hindi, Shintos, Buddhists, Humanists, or Protestants you may run into in daily life and see if any of them have a use for understanding the universe.  You'd have a better chance of a deeper discussion.

My suggestion would be to inquire with Catholics, Jews, Hindi, Shintos, Buddhists, Humanists, or Protestants you may run into in daily life and see if any of them have a use for understanding the universe.

No more or less than anyone else, best I can tell. 

Dave