Cornwall II - may take a look at a local pair

adam2434

Cornwall II's are phenomenal sounding speakers... I heard a pair with the round terminal cups, from 1985 I believe, driven with Accuphase Gear, and this combo knocked me out man. They had the horn dynamics without any harshness whatsoever. Really left an impression on me, and this is not normal for Klipsch speakers and me.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input.

The guy is asking $1,200 for the pair, so that seems very high based on the replies above.

Current CW III are $4,400 a pair.

Anyone know the original price of CW II in the 1980's?

Think I know the pair you are talking about. Black and and pics make them seem pretty worn. He is way over priced, 600-700 for the pair at most IMO.

Anyone know the original price of CW II in the 1980's?

Unless you're a trivia buff and just want to know, that's irrelevant to your purchase.

Just curious to see how they hold their value vs. today's adjusted dollar value.  Also curious to know how their retail price compares to today, adjusted for inflation.

The Cornwall reflex cabinet is a very well tuned device. I was designed before the days of TS parameters and computer simulations. When Don Keele worked at Klipsch he did an assessment of the Cornwal cabinet for the k33 and found it to be just about textbook perfect tuning. The fact that the cabinet tuning is so good combined with the large K600/601 horn is really what make the Cornwall so special. The Chorus and Chorus ll have a conical/tractrix mid horn that is an improvement over the old K600 exponential horn of the Cornwall's. The Cornwall 3 while having the very nice titanium diaphragms have regressed to using the small exponential K701 mid horn which for me is more than enough to remove them from contention in any way they are now simply supersized Heresy with a fifteen rather than a twelve and a reflex cabinet.

Horn size is very important and the larger the mid horn the better it will hold its polar patterns down to lower frequencies compared to a smaller horns, this helps make them sound more real to life. If you can get a mid horn to radiate from as low as possible say 500 - 600 Hz and up as close to 6KHz as possible then you will create listening magic. The simple reason why you don't see many such designs these days is that the consumer does not want to look at huge mid horns. You still see this approach in the specialty market with small niche market companies building very large horn systems but your average Joe consumer is not interested and does not have the room or the money for such extravagance. The day of the large two way monitor has past for the most part. The days of the 500Hz crossed large two way Altec's and JBL's are long gone though they do so many things so well. Companies such as Danley Sound Design offer point source multi way horns with response down to 300Hz but they are large and industrial looking on the plus side they sound glorious. There are some Danley owners here on the forum who can attest that these are very much the real deal. The synergy horn is the future of high performance high efficiency horn loaded loudspeakers.

When I bought my first Klipsch I said how much then wrote out the check no questions asked. If you get too picky you may be dead before you get them in your living room and might have to settle for some Bose.

JJK

Edited by JJKIZAK
  • Like 1

When I bought my first Klipsch I said how much then wrote out the check no questions asked. If you get too picky you may be dead before you get them in your living room and might have to settle for some Bose.

JJK

I had my wife write the check...... Just because she use to own Bose..... 

G.E.M 

I sold a pair of CWII's for $800, 8 years ago.  They were near mint oak with cane grills.  The reason I sold them was because I replaced them in the living room with Klipschorns, and they were too nice (and big) to use as garage speakers, although I did use them in the garage for about a year before I regrettably sold them.  I kept the CWI's for my HT instead of he CWII's because I had a vertical Corn for the center channel and Heresy rears.  While sounding great, the CWII did not timbre match in my HT. For two-channel they were wonderful.