Cornwalls vs Klipschorn Sealed - Short wall

prerich

From everything I've read - the Khorn should be on the long wall (room wider than it is long). in a room that's roughly 15ft wide x 19ft long - would Khorns work as well on the short wall as Cornwalls? These Khorns would have sealed backs, so corners would not be necessary (from what I hear).  The room's bass would be augmented by subs as well. 

Fellas and ladies chime in - before I do somethings crazy :blink2:  :wacko2:  :emotion-55: !!!!! 

The short wall would give you a sweet spot at about 7.5' feet back if placed in the corners.

These Khorns would have sealed backs, so corners would not be necessary (from what I hear).

Even with close backs you still need corners to get full bass extension.  The closed backs make it easier to get a good seal.

in a room that's roughly 15ft wide x 19ft long - would Khorns work as well on the short wall as Cornwalls? These Khorns would have sealed backs, so corners would not be necessary (from what I hear). The room's bass would be augmented by subs as well...P.S. listening position would be approximately 12.5 feet from the speakers.

Fifteen feet is enough distance between the speakers if you can clear the wall between the speakers of acoustic reflections or pad them with acoustic absorption treatments: this means that all electronics, cabinets and furniture within 6 feet need to be moved out of the way or covered on their sides.  This also includes furniture within 6 feet along the side walls.

Having sealed backs means you can aim the Khorns pretty much at your listening position--which is a big advantage in a case like this.  Recommend also thick carpet and ceiling treatments if the ceiling is low.

You'll need corners for full bass extension down to 31 Hz, otherwise, you'll have to cross to your subs at a higher frequency to compensate for the loss of Khorn bass.  I like horn-loaded bass over direct radiating, so getting the most out of the corners is usually better.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1