Should I drill mounting holes in RS-3's?

Smokin' Joe

I just bought some omnimount speaker mounting brackets from www.omnimount.com. for my rears. The RS-3's arrived today and they already have mounting holes for a 2 screw vertical mount on the back of the speakers. I like the omnimount brackets since they have the ball joint which allows for varying directional movement. The RS-3's would have to be mounted basically flush onto the wall. So should I mount 'em flush and leave the new beautiful Klipsch's alone, or is it OK to drill 2 discrete holes in the bottom of them for the brackets? Please help.

-Undecided in Houston confused.gif LOL

This is purely my opinion...but I would not drill holes in order to use the Omnimount. RS-3's were not designed to be focused sound speakers; therefore, having the ability to "aim" the speakers using the Omnimounts is not necessary. RS-3 are designed to disperse the rear effects. I would decide where the optimum location would be and mount them using the supplied keyhole mounting brackets. That's what I did.

Tom Adams

The brackets will not grip the speaker tight enough even with double sided tape. Actually, the tape grips but it is not nearly as secure as I would want it to be if I were going to angle the speakers downward. That sucks! Anyway, thanks for responding guys, and let me know if you have any other ideas.

Also, do these speakers need to be mounted into a wall stud? Since they are 12 lbs. I am assuming you can easily secure them to any wall with anchors? Thoughts?

Smokin' - Lots of good input in this thread. Tom Adams has the ideal answer, which is to find a place you can mount them that will cover the listening area with them flush on the wall. The dispersion pattern is 60 degrees vertical (up and down). However, if you have to mount them too close to the listening area so that the 60 degree "cone" goes over the listeners heads, you may have to angle them down. I had to do that for a while when my SS-1s were in my living room.

Perhaps, if you need to, you can use the Omnimounts this way -- make a wood mounting plate that has screws on one side placed to allow the RS-3s to hang on the screws (snugly!) using the keyhole mounts. Then, afix the mounting plate to the Omnimounts using whatever the strongest method is to attach the Omnimounts. That way, any holes you drill will just be in the mounting plate.

Doug

At the risk of sounding like a dork, I would use 36" - 40" speaker stands. One of those heights should put the RS-3's just above the listeners head, unless your sitting on barstools. This way you have more flexibility in positioning them, instead of holding them up and trying to decide where they sound best. You won't end up with 28 holes in the wall either.

If stands just won't do, I would do what Tom said. Set them up temporarily until you find the right position and then mount them. I would try and find a wall stud as well. Nothing would make me more upset than to have the drywall give way and have the RS-3's come crashing down. Thinking about drilling holes in the cabinets of my Klipsch's makes me shudder.

At the risk of sounding like a dork, I would use 36" - 40" speaker stands. One of those heights should put the RS-3's just above the listeners head, unless your sitting on barstools. This way you have more flexibility in positioning them, instead of holding them up and trying to decide where they sound best. You won't end up with 28 holes in the wall either.

If stands just won't do, I would do what Tom said. Set them up temporarily until you find the right position and then mount them. I would try and find a wall stud as well. Nothing would make me more upset than to have the drywall give way and have the RS-3's come crashing down. Thinking about drilling holes in the cabinets of my Klipsch's makes me shudder.

Smokin' Joe - I think the answer to using a wall stud or wall anchors for mounting is obvious. In my discussions with Trey "loose" Cannon about mounting locations for my RS-3's on the vault of my vaulted ceiling, he was very insistent about me using a rafter/joist. FWIW, I made a 1x12 mounting plate to span between two rafters in order to give me some flexibility in locating the speakers after the sheetrock was up.

However, having said all that, I think you'll find that there are some wall anchors that can support the weight. A new type I've seen at Home Depot are large diameter plastic screw-in things. Just be aware of the risk involved in mounting with these things. At the very least, your speakers may fall off the wall. At the very worst, they will fall off just as your wife/GF/SO/friend is standing underneath of it and it bonks them on the head!! frown.gif

BTW, can you give us a feel for your room & seating layout? It might help us understand your issues.

Tom Adams

I have a pair of KSF-S5's, and used OmniMount brackets (model 53-RWX, can support up to 25 lbs.) to hang them from the ceiling. The S5's have a threaded insert in the lower "keyhole slot" on the back of the speakers. The threads are matched to the "mounting arm" on the Omnimount, so the arm securely screws into the S5's insert.

The RS-3 looks very similar to the S5, and the weight is similar. Maybe Klipsch has been kind enough to carry this threaded insert over to the RS-3's. If so, the Omnimounts should work just fine without defacing your speakers by drilling holes ...