Enough is enough - gas prices are scary low

richieb

Growing up close enough to where you did I am sure I don't understand the business at all.  Knowing the people I met over a lifetime involved in it never helped my understanding either.  Try not to be the buggy whip guy.  On the other hand, if necessary we still have lots of coal and somehow the technology hasn't been forgotten!

Recently President Obama gave an executive order for cleaner emissions knowing the coal plants (we have LOTS around West Virginia) could not meet the standards.  As a result, several coal fired electric plants have already closed down, with many more planed.  No coal fired plants, no coal mines.

In the last month West Virginia has had THOUSANDS of coal miners laid off.  It is about to be an economic catastrophe in our state.

Edited by wvu80

Coal is the nastiest product in modern use. There is no telling what suffering is caused by the burning of coal. This country has the technology to do better. We just don't have enough interested voters to make a governmental difference.

Keith

Coal is the nastiest product in modern use. There is no telling what suffering is caused by the burning of coal. This country has the technology to do better. We just don't have enough interested voters to make a governmental difference.

Keith

The problem is there is no planning.  You don't take something out with putting something back in its place.

There is no governmental version which understands "unintended consequences."  I have no problem with taking coal off-line, but there should be something in-place FIRST to compensate for the lack of the energy coal fired electric plants provide.

What is about to happen is electric prices will shoot waaay up.  That doesn't just hurt the laid off plant workers and coal miners, it hurts everyone.

And my problem is that it's foreseeable and predictable.  Except to our government "leaders."

• Like 1

The current oil price is absolutely a symptom of the ongoing significant slow down of the production of goods based economies in China, India and Brasil. The lack of continued and growing demand for petroleum along with the increased supply (through increased producible reserves) will have the world's producing countries locked into a race to the bottom.

Soon that could manifest in bankruptcies worldwide (of entire countries) that will make Greece look like a small hick-up. Imagine what will happen in the Middle East if Saudi Arabia is among the first to fail? 

The period from 1929 to 1939 was the last time this kind of economic uncertainty happened and the fallout was WWII.

Edited by Wolfbane
  • Like 2

The problem is the lack of leadership. Real leaders. Every house in this country that would benefit from solar use should be using it. Those unemployed miners in WV could be building solar panels and be just as happy and much healthier. The raw materials should be furnished by American companies in this country. There was an attempt by our current president, if you remember, but that business failed. And that fact was used politically. Imagine that some of our leadership actually used an attempt at strengthening our country as a political tool. And many of the brain dead followers mouthed that fact as a political failure. We're phucked. And we deserve every inch of it.

I've blown that black crap out of my nostrils at the end of the day many times. It's time for something cleaner and safer. The problem is the money. The special interest money. And the fact that we're financing the economy of other countries in the name of our safety while our country circles the drain.

Keith

Creative Destruction is a cornerstone piece of global capitalism. Industries transition, and if a few million get crushed in the move, well that's life. Look at what happened when steel crashed. The USA lost the entire steel making capability, and hundreds of thousands of jobs. Manufacturing? Boom! Software? Boom!

So, now it is oil related.

In the meantime, 315 million people are saving $2 a gallon on gas. With all that savings they can upgrade now to the iPhone 7 in a month or two. That's how it works.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

$1.30-$1.60/gal here. Gasoline prices haven't been this low since 2002. Today was the first time in 14 years that it took all of $20 to fill up the car.

But like you guys have already said, I'm not about to go out and see how far or fast I can drive. I'll still keep it reasonable, driving the 'ol 90's Accord with 1/4 million miles, averaging 34 MPG in the process. Meanwhile we've got more Volts, Leafs, and Prius than I can shake a stick at here.

The motorcycle guys are lovin' it right now but that's about it. Disposable income, for very many, is still quite elusive.

• Like 1

driving the 'ol 90's Accord with 1/4 million miles, averaging 34 MPG in the process.

90's Honda Accords were some of the BEST Honda'a ever built..... They really do last for almost ever.... I just retired my daughter's 94 Accord this past summer with over 400k on it.... still got 30+ mpg....

MKP :-) 

• Like 1