RF-7 Continuation?

GeneralZod

I think a 3 way RF-7 type, with a much lower (600-700 Hz) woofer to midrange crossover, and a separate tweeter, would be a speaker worth potentially purchasing. Until then I'll stick with my LaScalas.

Over the years I've seen this comment made so no offense to the poster but,  don't you think the engineers at Klipsch thought of that and would have implemented it if it were going to sound better, in that footprint? For the record, the KLF-20s.30s are 3 way design speakers and they were replaced with the RF-7s which still have rave reviews...Fwiw, I have the KLF-20s/C-7 and they sound awesome but what is listed below is what is on our main Home Theater.

Edited by Zen Traveler

I think a 3 way RF-7 type, with a much lower (600-700 Hz) woofer to midrange crossover, and a separate tweeter, would be a speaker worth potentially purchasing. Until then I'll stick with my LaScalas.

Over the years I've seen this comment made so no offense to the poster but, don't you think the engineers at Klipsch thought of that and would have implemented it if it were going to sound better, in that footprint? For the record, the KLF-20s.30s are 3 way design speakers and they were replaced with the RF-7s which still have rave reviews...Fwiw, I have the KLF-20s/C-7 and they sound awesome but what is listed below is what is on our main Home Theater.

Having seen and heard much of what has come out of Klipsch since the KLF series ended... I don't think the "engineers" were exactly getting their way. I think marketing to a particular customer/segment that was more interested in looks/size won out. And that was driven by profit and competing for market share, as most other manufacturers were moving to/towards slim and smaller speakers.

The RF-7 is just an extension of that... 2-way like the cheaper lines with the same copper colored (hey look at us!) drivers.

Yes, the RF-7's are highly respected. And from the very short time I ever heard a pair, they sound pretty good. But, I wonder how many people would think that if they were blindly comparing to a similar sized 3-way design (KLF 30 or Chorus 2).

Or to put it another way... if Klipsch were to build brand new versions of the KLF 30 and Chorus II and line them up against the current RF-7, and sold all for the same price, which model would you choose?

Over the years I've seen this comment made so no offense to the poster but, don't you think the engineers at Klipsch thought of that and would have implemented it if it were going to sound better, in that footprint? For the record, the KLF-20s.30s are 3 way design speakers and they were replaced with the RF-7s which still have rave reviews...Fwiw, I have the KLF-20s/C-7 and they sound awesome but what is listed below is what is on our main Home Theater.

Having seen and heard much of what has come out of Klipsch since the KLF series ended... I don't think the "engineers" were exactly getting their way. I think marketing to a particular customer/segment that was more interested in looks/size won out. And that was driven by profit and competing for market share, as most other manufacturers were moving to/towards slim and smaller speakers.

The RF-7 is just an extension of that... 2-way like the cheaper lines with the same copper colored (hey look at us!) drivers.

Yes, the RF-7's are highly respected. And from the very short time I ever heard a pair, they sound pretty good. But, I wonder how many people would think that if they were blindly comparing to a similar sized 3-way design (KLF 30 or Chorus 2).

Or to put it another way... if Klipsch were to build brand new versions of the KLF 30 and Chorus II and line them up against the current RF-7, and sold all for the same price, which model would you choose?

I had almost this exact scenario when I brought my RF 7's.  The guy had KLF 20, KLF 30, and RF 7's and wanted to get rid of a couple pair of speakers.  I liked the KLF 20 and RF 7's over the KLF 30.  The bass was a bit softer with the 30's.  It was a toss up between the 20's and 7's.  I took the 7's because of the body style.  The Forte's and the RF 7's were in the same room at my house for about a year and I liked both of them.  I recently sold the Forte's since the rest of my system is Reference.  A lot of this will come down to personal choice since we all may favor one thing over another.  With that said, the Heresey, Forte's, Cornwalls and LaScala's are all excellent speakers and if I had more room to use and not just have them sitting, any of them would be fine.

Edited by derrickdj1

" New caps are needed on this model to tame the harsh top end and firm up the flabby bottom end. "

Everyone one does not find the top end harsh. Everyone does not need mods. The speakers are fine and most of us liked the sound when we audition them with no mods.

He wasn't talking about speakers.  I don't even want to think about the flabby bottom end.

And yeah, it was pretty funny.  :lol:

Don't get me started on the shouty midrange!   :rolleyes:

Over the years I've seen this comment made so no offense to the poster but,  don't you think the engineers at Klipsch thought of that and would have implemented it if it were going to sound better, in that footprint? For the record, the KLF-20s.30s are 3 way design speakers and they were replaced with the RF-7s which still have rave reviews...Fwiw, I have the KLF-20s/C-7 and they sound awesome but what is listed below is what is on our main Home Theater.

If you want to know what the engineers think - look at the commercial cinema models.  If you want to know what the marketing/bean counters think - look at Reference.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Old thread but I have been thinking trickle down here. Now that it looks like the Palladium may be wrapping up an RF-7 III utilizing a Palladium style tweeter and midrange horn might be a good offering. The development costs and such must have been long recouped.

• Like 1

After hearing my proud RP-280Fs be shredded by the old pair of Heresies I bought, I think I'm ready to count myself into the three-way camp as well. The Heresy's mid-horn would just fit into the width of the RP-280F, too. I think that'd be a real giant-killer!

And while we're here, what happened to wide floorstanders? I haven't had a chance to set up my KG 5.2s yet (a donation pair from somebody who's moving) and I'll be sure to count them into my 3-way vs. 2-way comparisons, but I really like the wide look. They're the kind of speakers that make your friends say, "Oh, those look loud."

• Like 1

I think it has a lot to do with WAF and room aesthetics. The narrower footprint is easier to work with. Showed my wife photos of Chorus II and the RF-7 II and it was no contest. RF-7 II hands down. Same thing with the LaScala...to thick, in her words.

A three way RF7 would be ideal. The Palladium P17b received a Class A rating from Stereophile due to the smoothness of the two horns, and those guys aren't usually fans of anything Klipsch.

• Like 2

Wasn't the KLF-10 the "cheapest" of that line and very similar to the RF-7 in design?

The KLF-10 was a 2-way and may be similar to the RF-7 in design, but it had a 1" driver for the horn, whereas the RF-7 uses a 1 3/4" compression driver there and the LF drivers are made of different material.  

Edited by Zen Traveler
  • Like 1

You guys can yook for a three way RF 7 ll replacement but, I am perfectly happy with the two way design.  I love the Chorus, Forte, Heresey, Cornwall's and LaScala's.  I 'RF 7 ll is not taking backseat to any of the Heritage speakers that I've heard.  Just my humble opinion.  I like the style of the Reference line.

• Like 2

I too would love to see the Palladium style mid and tweeter combo in a newer RF-7 type speaker, it would not only hang with the older models you mentioned but easily best them. I'm still just in awe over these little P-17b's, it would just be a shame if that technology went away.

Edited by jjptkd
  • Like 1

I too would love to see the Palladium style mid and tweeter combo in a newer RF-7 type speaker, it would not only hang with the older models you mentioned but easily best them. I'm still just in awe over these little P-17b's, it would just be a shame if that technology went away.

That was my thought as well. I can't see them letting it go after all the work to design it without at least considering repurposing it into another product.

I'd be interested to know the sales volume of the RF-7 II vs. the heritage models.

With the Palladium being discontinued, and if the RF-7 II's seemingly at the end of its product life, I hope that there's enough remaining Heritage production in Hope to keep all those folks busy.

• Like 1