Phase on woofer in Fortes?

LeonBryant

Yes...it does.  You'll get a deep frequency response null at the crossover frequency to your midrange if you get it wrong. 

Chris

I put Crites crossovers in my 1989 Forte IIs last year (I updated my tweeter diaphragms circa 2005).  At first I was hard-pressed to quantify the sonic differences beyond one word: "louder".  I'd guess I recovered a few decibels of efficiency (this is an off-the-cuff estimate since I was too lazy to find my SPL meter to confirm).  But then I just forgot about them and listened... 

After a few weeks it hit me that my speakers didn't seem so finicky about source material, changes in amplification, cabling choices, or even location in my listening room (I move and switch stuff around constantly) as they had before.  My Forte II's now seemed more "solid" which made my whole system seem more consistent with less day-to-day and hour-to-hour variation in sound quality.  I found myself leaving my listening room in frustration less and less and staying in it playing music for longer stretches.  This is not at all what I expected and is a very pleasant surprise.  I was hoping for more and better bass, improved imaging, and smoother more "open" treble.  I suppose I got some of this but not enough to blow me out of the room.  Instead, my already awesome speakers just got better at being what they are: the easiest to live with and biggest bang-for-the-buck speakers in the entire Heritage line up.  It was $260 well spent!

Get a flashlight. Put the light on the back of the driver. One side will have a "factory mark" - an 'X' or '/' made with a magic marker (either red or black). The side with the mark is positive. Connect the positive wire from the crossover for the woofer to the side with the factory mark.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, everyone! So, I finally opened them them up again, and the woofer is wired from the Crites crossover with red wire to the + mark so that seems correct, Deang. i reversed the wires on the mid horn, but did not seem to make a difference. My room undoubtedly has an effect on bottom end distribution as it is a bit narrow.with a couch several feet from the speakers, which are against a rear wall.

One consideration might be replacing the woofers. I am sure they are the originals and these speakers have been been well used by two owners before me. They were made in 1976.

Thoughts on replacing the woofers?

Finally, I must saythat these are indeed the most amazing stereo speakers I have ever owned. I am definitely splitting hairs here!  :P  :emotion-29:  :emotion-29:  :emotion-29:

I reversed the wires on the mid horn, but did not seem to make a difference....One consideration might be replacing the woofers. I am sure they are the originals and these speakers have been been well used by two owners before me. They were made in 1976. Thoughts on replacing the woofers?

Unless you have some sound quality issues, I'd recommend keeping your present woofers. 

One way to hear any issues in the crossover phasing is to run a fairly slow upsweep through one Forte at a time, noting the point at which you get to 600 Hz (the "C" an octave above middle "C", i.e., above the tuning-fork frequency of A440).  If you hear a disturbance, then reverse the leads on the woofer and try again, listening for the same disturbance.

If you don't have REW or True RTA installed to do the upsweep, then you can use something like this.

Chris