Why Is Marijuana Banned? The Real Reasons Are Worse Than You Think

MyOwn

I think the right and best answer would be to legalize institutional and professional use of all hallucinogens and empathogens.

I have read and seen several documentaries that suggest that these drugs can have an incredible effect on the attitude of terminal patients.  No clue why, but apparently they come to peace with it.  

No Carcinogens at all, and no odor.

Not aware of any carcinogens in pure weed.  I HAVE come across many who believe that it is, in fact, an anti-carcinogen.  I do not know whether there is substantial evidence for this but the material I read seemed to have some scientific validity.  Certainly worth more testing. 

While living in SEA I used to purchase a Thai made cough syrup.  Tincture of opium, a percent or two.  Didn't give you a buzz but totally knocked out a cough.  It was about a dollar for a bottle.  In this country, you can't buy cough syrup.  Repeated tests have shown that the patent cough syrups available over the counter have no more effect than hot lemonade and honey with a shot of whiskey on a cough...plus taste worse and cost more.  By the time you get an appointment and then pay 30 bucks for a real cough syrup, the cough is gone. 

It's a racket. 

Dave

Everywhere I have looked it says Carcinogens are produced from smoking weed just like cigarettes. From what I have read the advantage to Vaping weed is that it isn't burning...hence no carcinogens. I do know that a friend has went off quite a bit of her meds now that she vapes weed. She also had Bronchitis, and no longer has any problems with it since stopping her meds and started vaping weed.

• Like 1

On the medicinal side, benefits are way beyond anecdotal, as it's not just about getting high and participating with Jazz anymore.

But that's just the thing. They need to reschedule MJ so proper research, at our best research hospitals and universities, with peer review, can take place. Our bodies are rife with cannabinoid receptors, they do modulate things (mood, pain, etc), and it demands proper study.

And this is the key........ to fully dissect the properties of the drug so that we can understand how to best apply it contributions. There is a good and a dark side to recreational use of psychoactive drugs. When used with others, socially they can add positive dimensions to the overall experiences. When used alone to recede from troubles or stresses they become ineffective mental crutches that do not in any manner contribute to solving problems. I believe the world is at a point where advancement depends upon serious participation. Future generations have a sizable learning task ahead of them requiring mental acuity - not mental retardation. I suppose those who survive the wash will rise to the top. But will there be hordes of the lesser accomplished needing to be supported by those who succeed? Already we witness social stratification and its consequences. Tough and complex questions, really.
"Ineffective mental crutch." Such as what?

We have many millions of people on prescription psychoactives right now. Is that what you refer to? Paxil, Zanax, etc.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

PS - While I speak as a moderator only for myself, I consider this to be a perfectly good topic. PLEASE keep politics out of it so it can remain a discussion of great interest to the nation as a whole.

There should not be finger pointing and blame. Unless I understand incorrectly, that is what you are talking about. What is done is done, and we can most definitely look at what science is saying and what other countries are having success with. Our government does need to be a part of the conversation, because it is them who have gone down the wrong path. The War on Drugs is a failure as has been defined by the government. Repeating the same behavior and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. There are many governments who have been successfully combating addiction while not empowering the drug underground. They are not locking up the young underprivileged and minorities as we are. This is a social win for them, and makes us look cruel and a bit silly.

Perhaps we can still have a war on drugs, but it involves some of the things we have discussed. A war more on the reasons for drug abuse. Notice I called it drug abuse and not drug use. IMO, there is a big difference!

What's the War on Drugs that you think is proper?

Future generations have a sizable learning task ahead of them requiring mental acuity - not mental retardation. I suppose those who survive the wash will rise to the top. But will there be hordes of the lesser accomplished needing to be supported by those who succeed? Already we witness social stratification and its consequences. Tough and complex questions, really.

Tough, but not new at all. Social strata has always existed and always will. If a comfortable life is any indicator of using the right ingredients in the proper amounts, I'd say whatever we're mixing right now is a pretty good recipe.

I'd say what we're mixing now is marginal to unravelling. Add a new layer of inebriate fog into the blend and who knows what'll occur. IMHO we need to be adopting behaviors understood to enhance the human condition and I remain unconvinced that easy access to MJ is such a swell idea. Imagine visiting the grand kids and finding them sloppy stoned glued to their electronic games - week in and week out. I dunno - I s'pose if they churn out good grades, can be articulate and informed, objective, etc.......... that being in a chronic state of giggly jello makes little difference. :huh:
So, what theoretical power are you wanting to invoke over others? What's the basis for your imposition on what other people choose to use in the way of drugs?

Not a thing in their that isn't consistent with MJ history and science. What is inaccurate and one-sided?

That there are no harmful effects whatsoever of marijuana use.

Don't get me wrong, the political history of that was full of crazy propaganda and lies, but it's not completely harmless the way the article implies.....especially for younger people. Brain development in the early years is certainly impacted, and it goes until an average age of 25. It's related to the same chemical changes that causes 25 year old males to start thinking about consequences that allows insurance rates to go down.

Whether it is harmless or harmful is going to be based on thousands of assumptions about what constitutes harm.

A better question is what principle you apply to get involved in what others do? Sugar is harmful under many definitions. Sugar is killing more people in the usa than mj.

Are you adopting some principle of regulation of behavior? What's the principle?

• Like 1

On the medicinal side, benefits are way beyond anecdotal, as it's not just about getting high and participating with Jazz anymore.

But that's just the thing. They need to reschedule MJ so proper research, at our best research hospitals and universities, with peer review, can take place. Our bodies are rife with cannabinoid receptors, they do modulate things (mood, pain, etc), and it demands proper study.

And this is the key........ to fully dissect the properties of the drug so that we can understand how to best apply it contributions. There is a good and a dark side to recreational use of psychoactive drugs. When used with others, socially they can add positive dimensions to the overall experiences. When used alone to recede from troubles or stresses they become ineffective mental crutches that do not in any manner contribute to solving problems. I believe the world is at a point where advancement depends upon serious participation. Future generations have a sizable learning task ahead of them requiring mental acuity - not mental retardation. I suppose those who survive the wash will rise to the top. But will there be hordes of the lesser accomplished needing to be supported by those who succeed? Already we witness social stratification and its consequences. Tough and complex questions, really.

We have many millions of people on prescription psychoactives right now. Is that what you refer to? Paxil, Zanax, etc.

I have been on some of those, and i ma not going back to them as the side effects are just too much to deal with. My wife and i sometimes watch the prescription warnings on tv commercials, and to be honest a huge amount of the time the side effects are much worse than the original problem. I'll stick with my vaping weed, and zero side effects.

I have been on some of those, and i ma not going back to them as the side effects are just too much to deal with. My wife and i sometimes watch the prescription warnings on tv commercials, and to be honest a huge amount of the time the side effects are much worse than the original problem. I'll stick with my vaping weed, and zero side effects.
Good! That's exactly the choice you should be free to make.

• Like 1

I think the right and best answer would be to legalize institutional and professional use of all hallucinogens and empathogens.

I have read and seen several documentaries that suggest that these drugs can have an incredible effect on the attitude of terminal patients.  No clue why, but apparently they come to peace with it.  

No Carcinogens at all, and no odor.

Not aware of any carcinogens in pure weed.  I HAVE come across many who believe that it is, in fact, an anti-carcinogen.  I do not know whether there is substantial evidence for this but the material I read seemed to have some scientific validity.  Certainly worth more testing. 

While living in SEA I used to purchase a Thai made cough syrup.  Tincture of opium, a percent or two.  Didn't give you a buzz but totally knocked out a cough.  It was about a dollar for a bottle.  In this country, you can't buy cough syrup.  Repeated tests have shown that the patent cough syrups available over the counter have no more effect than hot lemonade and honey with a shot of whiskey on a cough...plus taste worse and cost more.  By the time you get an appointment and then pay 30 bucks for a real cough syrup, the cough is gone. 

It's a racket. 

Dave

Everywhere I have looked it says Carcinogens are produced from smoking weed just like cigarettes. From what I have read the advantage to Vaping weed is that it isn't burning...hence no carcinogens. I do know that a friend has went off quite a bit of her meds now that she vapes weed. She also had Bronchitis, and no longer has any problems with it since stopping her meds and started vaping weed.

That is correct. i seem to recall reading that the carcinogens are produced during the combustion.  Since, with vaping, the marijuana is not heated enough to combust --thus you’re getting a vapor vice smoke.

• Like 1

Willie got high on the Whitehouse roof

And ole Merle Haggard liked to smoke that hooch

There's a tale or two to tell on Jerry Lee

My favorite country singer is Johnny Cash

And back in 68 he liked to smoke that hash.

So if its ok by June, I guess its alright by me.

Lets all get stoned, and listen to George Jones

We get higher than a Hippie on a helicopter ride.

Roll up your home grown, and sing some redneck songs.

Youall sing the low parts, and brother I'll sing mine high.

the (railbenders)

• Moderators
That is correct. i seem to recall reading that the carcinogens are produced during the combustion.  Since, with vaping, the marijuana is not heated enough to combust --thus you’re getting a vapor vice smoke.

This is true, but you have to consider how little your actually are smoking, it's not like smoking cigarettes  which people do all day long, this would be a very small percentage of that. But vaping is probably better.

• Like 1

• Moderators

What was we talkin about ??  :wacko2:

Smoking POT...Because I choose to do so and why should anyone else care if I do.

But many think it's perfectly fine to drink until you fall down as long as your not driving, and have no problem taking prescription meds like candy for every little problem, it's crazy. But if you smoke that poison devil weed your a criminal, hypocrites.

• Like 2

Why does society need to be stoned, or drunk, or speeding to feel like they're having fun?

Why does the answer matter. What if I just say, "because I enjoy it!" Then what?

What principle ate you trying to apply to human behavior?

You require needing your mental acuity altered to have fun?  That's pretty sad.  Are you not the same person who blames all others for your diet miseries?  Have you any command of your faculties?

Whatever happened to the principle of a man's (or woman's) house is their castle and the power of the state doesn't reach into another person's castle? It was the basis of the Fourth Amendment. Of course, that amendment was disregarded and made impotent with the WoD.

What someone chooses to do in their own home is none of my business.

• Like 1