Why Is Marijuana Banned? The Real Reasons Are Worse Than You Think

MyOwn

There's a reason for that.  Synthetics can be patented.

Have you ever seen the video of the woman that went into the restroom and smoked synthetic marijuana...stripped naked and destroyed a fast food restaurant? Synthetic marijuana is a stupid idea when we have organic marijuana that is safe,a and actually helps people.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:56 PM, ellisr63 said:

Synthetic marijuana is a stupid idea when we have organic marijuana that is safe,a and actually helps people.

This appears to be another perfectly OK thing made bad by the laws.  Had some of the stuff when it was legal in Texas, original K2.  Very nice and apparently actually pretty much synthetic THC or very close.  Then, they made it illegal and the makers kept changing the formula and it eventually apparently wound up pretty nasty. 

Went the same way as the "real" stuff.  Perfectly good pastime rendered illegal and dangerous ignorance.

Dave

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

From the article:

Women’s health expert Jennifer Wider, MD, tells Yahoo Beauty she has some concerns.

“It has been well-established that THC comes along with side effects — even in older people,” she says, listing anxiety, paranoid thinking patterns, drowsiness, slowed sense of time, and dizziness as examples. “More research will be needed before this could become an accepted therapeutic modality.” Ammerman agrees, noting that “there are still a lot of unanswered questions.”

Yeah.  We can't have any of that.  Might as well go for a good margarita - or two!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

From the article:

Women’s health expert Jennifer Wider, MD, tells Yahoo Beauty she has some concerns.

“It has been well-established that THC comes along with side effects — even in older people,” she says, listing anxiety, paranoid thinking patterns, drowsiness, slowed sense of time, and dizziness as examples. “More research will be needed before this could become an accepted therapeutic modality.” Ammerman agrees, noting that “there are still a lot of unanswered questions.”

Yeah.  We can't have any of that.  Might as well go for a good margarita - or two!

Carl already has those, so how could they tell?

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Carl already has those, so how could they tell?

But he's old.  I bet they'd know once he found his way out of the maze!

Didn't you read the article?

Scientists first tested the mice on their ability to recognize familiar objects and navigate a water maze without the influence of THC and found that, while younger mice did well, older mice struggled. Once they were given THC, the younger mice had a drop in performance, but older mice showed improvement that lasted for weeks afterward — and even did as well as younger mice that had no THC.

Breaking News!  Carl beats young mouse out of maze!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mallette said:

This appears to be another perfectly OK thing made bad by the laws.  Had some of the stuff when it was legal in Texas, original K2.  Very nice and apparently actually pretty much synthetic THC or very close.  Then, they made it illegal and the makers kept changing the formula and it eventually apparently wound up pretty nasty. 

Went the same way as the "real" stuff.  Perfectly good pastime rendered illegal and dangerous ignorance.

Dave

From a pharmacological perspective, the synthetic THC analogs are quite a bit worse than the natural stuff.  They have twice the affinity for cannabinoid receptors in our nervous system as actual THC.  Tolerance builds rapidly, making it kind of pointless, and risky in terms of pulmonary and psychological health (compulsive/addictive behavior).  The shit is bad news.  If you really want the full blown "lab rat experience", then feel free to smoke synthetic THC analogs.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ski Bum said:

From a pharmacological perspective, the synthetic THC analogs are quite a bit worse than the natural stuff.  

Lost me at the first phrase as I've no qualifications in that area.  Then you seem to reference multiple THC analogs.  I think I made it clear that after the initial apparently close analog things got worse as the law kept forcing fast changes this stuff got really bad.  Certainly scientifically reasonable that synthetic THC should be no more harmful than the natural stuff.  But all bets are off when you have to start adding this or that to beat the "stuff that makes people feel happy" is bad crowd. 

Not much more I could add to this as I am not a chemist and have no medicinal training.  But I do have skepticism when it comes from this crowd which has caused so much pain compared to that which they rail against. 

Dave

They have an interesting history (well, if your a healthcare provider like me I suppose).  They were initially developed to facilitate legitimate medical research into cannabinoid pathways, as THC is a controlled substance in most places, which precludes such research.  (We're still suffering from that, with cannabis still inexplicably classified as a Schedule 1 drug...oops, political drift, sorry.)  Anywho, of course it was subsequently used for recreational purposes, having similar effects as the real thing, only with much higher abuse potential.  The specific compounds are all quite similar, allowing various peddlers to change from one formula to another as authorities caught on and began imposing controls.  They were made illegal mainly due to use within the military ranks (the analogs don't result in a hot piss test), with some literally chain smoking the crap and getting all sorts of weird.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

From the article:

There are also marijuana strains that help combat anxiety, paranoid thinking patterns, drowsiness, slowed sense of time, and dizziness.

The "side effects" can sometimes be exactly what you need, if not also what you want...

• Like 1

Another one... 

Vermont became the first state to pass legislation legalizing the recreational use of marijuana through its legislature Wednesday....

a quote... “I think the public is ahead of us, but elected officials tend to be cautious when it comes to change. ”

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/vermont-becomes-first-state-pass-legislation-legalizing-all-pot-use

• Like 1