Why Is Marijuana Banned? The Real Reasons Are Worse Than You Think

MyOwn

The industry of recreational MJ needs to refine its products for consistency and somehow the grow your own side of the equation needs to end.  Why?  Because todays MJ is so much stronger that it really needs regulatory controls.  You cannot have a 'browny' one time and get 'X' amount high and have a 'browny' another time and get '4X' high.  Every browny needs to be equivalent and that is just not possible with homegrown stuff getting into the mix.  I live next to Washington and there has been an increase in accidents across the board with NJ legalization.  Oddly it is not the fatal ones but the low speed ones.  People just misgauge responses and reactions when they're stoned.  One the upside there are breathalyzer products being developed that purportedly can provide a quantitative measure of MJ inebriation.  From a cultural perspective we now have a quasi form of socialized medicine and adding another legal inebriate into the fray will add to the medical burden in many ways.  We cannot remove alcohol - so there will be 2 sources of sloppy joy and splendor.  It is an enigma because of the two I'd agree that MJ is better.  But this is not an exchange proposition.  It would be nice if people could revel in being healthy and alert and active.  

MJ has extremely detrimental effects on young people, and it creates a life sentence for the kids who have the nerual pathways in their brains rewired.  It should be banned and stay banned.

I have worked with young people who have been jailed for drug use and who are in residential treatment facilities.  It is a HUGE problem and it affects other parts of their lives as well, too much to get into here.

Anyone who smokes pot and wants to continue to do so will not be persuaded by my opinion.  If you saw the young lives ruined by MJ and worked with kids everyday, you might change your mind.

+++

In before the lock.  B)

• Like 6

For personal consumption, which apparently is not what you are speaking to, brewing your own beer or whatever and growing your own should be perfectly legal.  Forms of public intoxication, such as DUI are already illegal and on the books and enforced. 

The devil is in the details.  Sure, if you are the only one using your own crop then the scenario works fine.  But Johnny Joe at the fraternity who throws a party and offers his own homegrown killer extravaganza buzzmonster for the gang could be a real problem.  Little Jenny has had her pot before and partakes with an expectation of a manageable level of intoxication and the next thing she knows there are all sorts of new colors and nothing comes into focus.  How can you draw the line?  IMHO if we want MJ legal it needs to come packaged in edible forms with reproducible levels of intoxication.  If the intake cannot be guaranteed then the consequences cannot be either.

• Like 1

MJ has extremely detrimental effects on young people, and it creates a life sentence for the kids who have the nerual pathways in their brains rewired.  It should be banned and stay banned.

I have worked with young people who have been jailed for drug use and who are in residential treatment facilities.  It is a HUGE problem and it affects other parts of their lives as well, too much to get into here.

Anyone who smokes pot and wants to continue to do so will not be persuaded by my opinion.  If you saw the young lives ruined by MJ and worked with kids everyday, you might change your mind.

+++

In before the lock.  B)

Like alcohol, it should be illegal until adulthood.  The studies with use of those under 17 are clear enough to support this, much as alcohol has been shown to impair development in the young.

• Like 5

For personal consumption, which apparently is not what you are speaking to, brewing your own beer or whatever and growing your own should be perfectly legal.  Forms of public intoxication, such as DUI are already illegal and on the books and enforced. 

The devil is in the details.  Sure, if you are the only one using your own crop then the scenario works fine.  But Johnny Joe at the fraternity who throws a party and offers his own homegrown killer extravaganza buzzmonster for the gang could be a real problem.  Little Jenny has had her pot before and partakes with an expectation of a manageable level of intoxication and the next thing she knows there are all sorts of new colors and nothing comes into focus.  How can you draw the line?  IMHO if we want MJ legal it needs to come packaged in edible forms with reproducible levels of intoxication.  If the intake cannot be guaranteed then the consequences cannot be either.

and yet there are existing liability laws on the books.  How many defendants judged not guilty of a criminal act get scorched by subsequent civil suits? 

• Like 1

Like alcohol, it should be illegal until adulthood. The studies with use of those under 17 are clear enough to support this, much as alcohol has been shown to impair development in the young.

Thread Drift:  The problem with underage drinking is that it has an accelerated rate of debilitation on young people people due to a still-growing brain and lack of mature judgement making skills.

It takes an adult about three years of abuse to become a full-blown alcoholic.  It takes an adolescent or young adult about a year.

• Like 3

and yet there are existing liability laws on the books.  How many defendants judged not guilty of a criminal act get scorched by subsequent civil suits? 

We could ask OJ.  :)

It is a fact that the "War on Drugs" is a failure. It has caused the underground to become more organized and wealthier. It has caused the militarization of police. It fills prisons with underprivileged and minorities. It has caused the Prison System to become one of the fastest growing industries.

Should drugs become legal? That is not the right question! Look at the way this is handled in other countries, where education and rehabilitation is the punishment for the ignorance of self medicating. I'm sure Dave will appreciate that it is much better for a trained psychiatrist to prescribe the appropriate drugs and therapy to those who need it than a drug pusher.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 3

While levels of intoxication can vary per person due to size, weight and tolerance most all edibles in "Green Cross" stores are clearly marked for THC amount and graded by level. High quality cannabis is actually very difficult to cultivate and the chance of a frat bro coming close to what commercial growers can produce in CO is very slim and even then there are natural limits. (I will concede though that home made edibles can vary quite a bit and be much stronger than intended.) The last time I visited CO we went to a store and they were very clear on what edibles had what strength and made suggestions due to our tolerance etc. The significant difference however between alcohol is that I can drink far too much and end up dying of alcohol poisoning but it is virtually impossible to OD on Cannabis.You may be uncomfortable for a few hours or pass out but there wont be any long term effects.

Another thing to mention regarding smoking/vaping and overall intoxication is that the effects are almost immediate so they strain may be stronger but consequently you smoke less as opposed to alcohol where you can down two Long Island Ice Teas and be wasted without even realizing it.

The actual reason both Cannabis and Hemp are illegal is similar to the article posted above but it actually has more to do with Industrial hemp. In the 1930s a new machine was invented that could rapidly process the hemp plant into textile material and it threatened the Forestry and synthetic fabric industries (Nylon was invented in 1935) so the likes of DuPont used their influence to lump Hemp with Cannabis (Marijuana is actually a totally different plant) and created the whole "Reefer Madness" and "Black Men are going to use it and attack your White Women" ridiculousness. 

Industrial Hemp could have and still can drastically improve American domestic production as shown by this Popular Mechanics article from 1938:

http://www.hempfarm.org/BillionDollarCrop.html

Edited by twk123
  • Like 1

+++

In before the lock.  B)

The issue is kids can get Cannabis illegally much more easily than Alcohol because a scumbag dealer isnt going to ask for ID when he trolls by the local High School. However, if you bring it into a controlled environment in which the store checks valid ID then it drives out the dealers and makes it harder for kids to get. Nobody is going to go to some street criminal dealer to get questionable weed that was stuffed who knows where and carried across the border by Drug Cartels when they can go to a friendly store that pays taxes and sells a quality product.  

• Like 1

Here's my take....

Kids now aren't gonna be any worst off say in 20 years after it is legalized...

I'm 53, grew up with a lot of shit around me. Started when I was 13. "I've tried a lot of it, I still drink...

I raised 2 kids on my own, both are grown adults, productive and living life happily :) :) :) .

• Like 6