Why Is Marijuana Banned? The Real Reasons Are Worse Than You Think

MyOwn

Living in Washington state where it is legal, I have not seen any measurable difference since legalization.

You mean civilization as we know it didn't come to an end?  INCREDIBLE!

Or maybe it did, and was replaced with something like REAL civilization. 

Dave

• Like 4

It would be nice if people could revel in being healthy and alert and active.  

For the most part, I agree - as a general sense. But, in all of history, there has always been a need and desire for mind altering drugs. The reasons are many. First, there is escapism from dire realities like fear, insecurity; second there is a desire for mind altering consciousness expansion (spirituality rituals);  and third is recreation. The need for various kinds of inebriation, and escape are universal in almost all cultures.

Alcohol is the worst choice for general use because it has higher aggressiveness than other drugs, and no one has much claimed any conscious expanding on alcohol. I think the right and best answer would be to legalize institutional and professional use of all hallucinogens and empathogens. So that, psychiatrists for example, could treat mental disorders with these drugs. Simple inebriating drugs like MJ, and perhaps some opiates and empathogens, should be decriminalized. My reasoning is that it is very regressive that the upper classes can take advantage of these drugs with impunity, while the poor use them at great risk of prison.

People deserve more personal freedom.  

• Like 5

Living in Washington state where it is legal, I have not seen any measurable difference since legalization.

You mean civilization as we know it didn't come to an end?  INCREDIBLE!

Or maybe it did, and was replaced with something like REAL civilization. 

Dave

It is this...

A lot of human beings want to leave "what we perceive as reality"...Been this way "most likely" from the beginning our being...

• Like 4

extremely detrimental effects on young people, and it creates a life sentence for the kids who have the nerual pathways in their brains rewired. It should be banned and stay banned.

For argument sake, lets agree.  But doesn't alcohol and tobacco as well? Doesn't the average male brain mature around the age of 24-25? If so, why don't we push the legal ages up to 25 for them and create stricter laws? 

• Like 3

Little Jenny has had her pot before and partakes with an expectation of a manageable level of intoxication and the next thing she knows there are all sorts of new colors and nothing comes into focus.  

Hey, if you can find shit as good as that, we can all get rich.

I always thought that was what shrooms are for.

• Like 3

The industry of recreational MJ needs to refine its products for consistency and somehow the grow your own side of the equation needs to end.  Why?  Because todays MJ is so much stronger that it really needs regulatory controls.  You cannot have a 'browny' one time and get 'X' amount high and have a 'browny' another time and get '4X' high.  Every browny needs to be equivalent and that is just not possible with homegrown stuff getting into the mix.  I live next to Washington and there has been an increase in accidents across the board with NJ legalization.  Oddly it is not the fatal ones but the low speed ones.  People just misgauge responses and reactions when they're stoned.  One the upside there are breathalyzer products being developed that purportedly can provide a quantitative measure of MJ inebriation.  From a cultural perspective we now have a quasi form of socialized medicine and adding another legal inebriate into the fray will add to the medical burden in many ways.  We cannot remove alcohol - so there will be 2 sources of sloppy joy and splendor.  It is an enigma because of the two I'd agree that MJ is better.  But this is not an exchange proposition.  It would be nice if people could revel in being healthy and alert and active.  

Yes you have to be very careful with the edibles...some cookies you can eat a small portion and others you can eat several (I am talking retail purchased Meds).

MJ has extremely detrimental effects on young people, and it creates a life sentence for the kids who have the nerual pathways in their brains rewired.  It should be banned and stay banned.

I have worked with young people who have been jailed for drug use and who are in residential treatment facilities.  It is a HUGE problem and it affects other parts of their lives as well, too much to get into here.

Anyone who smokes pot and wants to continue to do so will not be persuaded by my opinion.  If you saw the young lives ruined by MJ and worked with kids everyday, you might change your mind.

+++

In before the lock.  B)

Like alcohol, it should be illegal until adulthood.  The studies with use of those under 17 are clear enough to support this, much as alcohol has been shown to impair development in the young.

I think that it should be legal for anyone over 21. I first smoked in the Military, and then quit until recently. I have been on Medical MJ for about 3 years now, and I have to tell you it is working much better than the prescription meds i was on before, and I don't have any of the side effects that the prescription meds had (not MJ). I have Asthma, PTSD, and IBS, and I have found that using oils in a Vape pen work very well. It is also great to watch a movie or listen to music while under the influence of MJ.

As far as people getting into accidents I am a firm believer that you should not be driving while under the influence of MJ, alcohol, as well as some prescription meds. If you think it is ok to drive intoxicated, you are wrong IMO. When I was in the Military I drove high once, and several times after drinking, and i do not condone it for anyone. I was lucky i never got into an accident or caused one. If you drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol you need to pay for the crime. I do believe i was a safer driver after smoking MJ than I was after drinking by far.

• Like 3

Lately i heard a commercial about getting constipation from opiate medicines, another win for big pharmaceutical company's pocketbook.

Extremely addictive opiates do ease the some of the pain but so does a little weed and side effects are easy to take care of, just have some Doritos, ice cream or fried pork skins handy to take care of the munchies.

• Like 4

I wish I could say the same about Colorado. My wife any I are trying to move back there but ever since legalization it is impossible to find a house. The market is so hot that houses are literally going under contract withing 12-24 hours of being listed. Its crazy.

• Like 3

I have Asthma, PTSD, and IBS, and I have found that using oils in a Vape pen work very well

i find this interesting...very interesting actually. I too have Asthma and have wondered how my lungs would handle vaping.  glad to know that (it sounds) like that is much easier on the lungs.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 2

I wish I could say the same about Colorado. My wife any I are trying to move back there but ever since legalization it is impossible to find a house. The market is so hot that houses are literally going under contract withing 12-24 hours of being listed. Its crazy.

Ahhh Yes....In time for someone to figure out that there is Money to be had...And it is grown by Mother Nature...To bad Tomatoes didn't produce the same affect POT does....Grown by Mother Nature...People have the ability to change things for the Worst...Take the Coca leaf...

http://cocaine.org/cokleaf.html

Edited by Steve_S

I have Asthma, PTSD, and IBS, and I have found that using oils in a Vape pen work very well

i find this interesting...very interesting actually. I too have Asthma and have wondered how my lungs would handle vaping.  glad to know that (it sounds) like that is much easier on the lungs.

I was given a inhaler a few years ago due to my Asthma, and I have not used it since vaping. As a matter of fact I saw my Dr. yesterday and he was shocked when I said I use MJ with Asthma...he looked at my xrays, did some tests to check my lungs, and said they were clear. He also told me the only thing  he has a problem with is irritating the lungs with Carcinogens. I have actually felt my lungs expand since starting treatment of MJ.

Edited by ellisr63
  • Like 3

I was given a inhaler a few years ago due to my Asthma, and I have not used it since vaping. As a matter of fact I saw my Dr. yesterday and he was shocked when I said I use MJ with Asthma...he looked at my xrays, did some tests to check my lungs, and said they were clear. He also told me the only thing  he has a problem with is irritating the lungs with Carcinogens. I have actually felt my lungs expand since starting treatment of MJ.

I'd prescribe a brownie, or if your twisted and don't mind a TWIST....A suppository...LOL

• Like 2

I'd prescribe a brownie, or if your twisted and don't mind a TWIST....A suppository...LOL
I just had a colonoscopy, so i think i’ll take a pass on the suppository.  I detest chocolate--been chocolate free since ’83.

I did read about a mouth spray though...a spray under your tongue and you’re good to go (not drive; but, go). 

I think the right and best answer would be to legalize institutional and professional use of all hallucinogens and empathogens.

I have read and seen several documentaries that suggest that these drugs can have an incredible effect on the attitude of terminal patients.  No clue why, but apparently they come to peace with it.  

No Carcinogens at all, and no odor.

Not aware of any carcinogens in pure weed.  I HAVE come across many who believe that it is, in fact, an anti-carcinogen.  I do not know whether there is substantial evidence for this but the material I read seemed to have some scientific validity.  Certainly worth more testing. 

While living in SEA I used to purchase a Thai made cough syrup.  Tincture of opium, a percent or two.  Didn't give you a buzz but totally knocked out a cough.  It was about a dollar for a bottle.  In this country, you can't buy cough syrup.  Repeated tests have shown that the patent cough syrups available over the counter have no more effect than hot lemonade and honey with a shot of whiskey on a cough...plus taste worse and cost more.  By the time you get an appointment and then pay 30 bucks for a real cough syrup, the cough is gone. 

It's a racket. 

Dave

• Like 1