Who sells trailers?

Coytee

I forget who, but I recall someone saying they built/sold trailers.  I presume we're talking about the kind you pull behind a car/truck.  If so....

My wifes cousin next door has an approximate 16 foot trailer (if memory serves me, maybe it's only 12)

Anyways, it has a ....  jack that holds the tongue up.  The jack is welded to the unit and has a top mounted arm to adjust the height.

Since this isn't mine, I don't yet know all the details....but.....  the only thing that is there is the cylinder.  The wheel at the bottom is missing, the handle/arm on top is missing.  I don't know if the guts are missing or not.

Mounting the trailer or taking it off your vehicle is a real chore because you are wrestling the weight of the trailer and trying to adjust it to the ball.  It doesn't help at all that the trailer is usually parked on a slope so it's trying to roll down on you while you are trying to attach it.

I'd like to fix this for him but since it's not a bolt on....  I need to figure out what to get.  If he had a bolt on I'd just toss this and buy a new one.

Are these standardized parts?  Are they indeed serviceable while being on the trailer?  (again, it's welded on so my options there are limited)

If the guts are user replaceable, do they go in through the bottom of the cylinder or the top?

Well Richard, I read the title and was getting ready to explain the difference between "trailers" HUD code manufactured homes and state constructed modular homes and it was going to be a lengthy dissertation, and I'm still laughing at what I assumed your post was going to be about.  :lol:   Sorry, but I don't do anything with trailers.  LMAO 

Anyways, it has a .... jack that holds the tongue up. The jack is welded to the unit and has a top mounted arm to adjust the height.

With out seeing a photo, it seems like a very easy fix/modification, to me?  Just get an angle grinder with a few cut off wheels in hand (wafer type).  With the angle grinder, cut the welded seams of the old jack and discard.  Install a grinding wheel to smooth out all the rough edges and what-not.  Prime and paint to protect.  Install the new "bolt on" tongue jack.  DONE :D  ???

• Like 4

I forget who, but I recall someone saying they built/sold trailers.

Yeah you're probably talking about me, I've sold thousands of them over the course of 15 years.

To be honest I've never heard of anybody rebuilding one. They are so cheap that it wouldn't be worth it if it is anything significant. The ones with the wheel aren't very popular on the larger ones so I've only seen one or two in my life, they are not that stable with heavy loads. If the only thing else that is missing is the handle, just do a google search, some place like etrailer.com might have what you need.

If you do have to replace the whole thing, I'd recommend looking at drop leg jacks, those are awesome and will spoil you. It's actually a quick swap if you have a nearby manufacturer that is used to doing it, but a welding shop will probably gouge you. There's actually some jacks that can just bolt to the side of the tongue but I can't vouch for them.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I took my camera with me when someone came to meet Lucky the dog.....and I never made it to the trailer.

The trailer has a cylinder that is welded to the frame.  As I recall, I think it goes through the middle where the two sides come together as a "V".  I also think it blocks a location for a bolt on.

I really need to get a picture of that darn thing.

The trailer has a storage box on the tongue as well.....  so that is in the way and adds more weight to the whole thing when you are trying to lift it and at same time, put your shoulder into it so it won't roll down the hill on you.

Why on earth my wifes cousin hasn't yet done something to fix this is beyond me.  I absolutely detest having to deal with the trailer.  (then again, maybe that is why he's not fixed it!!)

The rest of the story.

I took the camera out this morning as I needed to take the trailer off the truck to go to town.

Took some pictures and realized I was wrong.  This wasn't welded on but instead, had a triangular plate and bolted on.  NIce!

I went to town to Tractor Supply for my propane....while in there, looked at their jacks and low & behold....  found some exactly like what I need.  

About $50 out the door.  Grabbed it and for last 20 minutes have been banging on it with futility.  Looks like the 2" cylinder goes through two holes to keep it aligned and then the triangular plate gets bolted down.

The very bottom of the cylinder where the (currently missing) foot would go seems to have been bent ever so slightly.  This won't just slip out and slip a new one in.  The bent end is out of round just enough to make it not go through the bottom hole.

Came home (trailer is next door at wifes cousins house) to grab a pry bar and maybe a large hammer.  This bugger might kill me but I WILL have it out one way or another!!!

Last resort will be to hook it back up to the truck and bring it home where I can take my grinder to it and just cut the dang thing off!

post-12967-0-75720000-1455473905_thumb.j

Edited by Coytee

Heh...you should see the good part.

This truck is "the farm truck".  My wifes uncle used to drive it about three times a day and make a circle around the farm.  (checking all the fields.... which really means he's just going to look at any deer/other)

At one time, there was actually grass (as in your front yard) growing on the hood.

We were loading the back one day with a bunch of stuff to go to the dump.  We had a trailer so I hoisted the trailer into the truck.  Turns out it was a really really heavy trailer and bent the truck sides outwards (oops).

Soooooooooo, I took the backhoe bucket to the side of the truck bed and pushed it back in.  

Nice part was, you couldn't tell I had pushed on it with the steel bucket of the backhoe.  That might give you an idea of what it looks like.

No muffler, no A/C, no fan (so no heat either), wipers do more smearing than wiping, you have to physically hold the door "UP" while closing or it won't latch.  That's always nice to find out when you're going down the highway.

Yeah....  the back end is very likely the best part of the whole thing!!

As an update to the trailer thing....  got the old one out.  Had to use a crowbar to get the bent part past the opening.  Once out, the new one slid right in, easy peasy.  

• Like 2

I've had some overkill orders for jacks recently. One was for a farmers market trailer, dude had five different drop leg jacks on the thing. Same thing with a tiny house trailer except two more, had scissor jacks in all four corners, a drop leg jack on the front, and two scissor jacks in front of each fender. If I could make my guys stay on top of it, those tiny house trailers have a surprising amount of demand right now.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters