How many here can actually solder?

Deang

For many years I used a Hakko 936 that served me very well. Then about a year ago, I got a Hakko FX-888 that I love.

I have posted this picture before of my workbench. It is off to one side of my sunroom that holds my DIY/vintage system.

workbench2015.jpg

But it's so clean.  And organized?  :)  

• Like 2

I'm winding things down over here. I'm down to three AA builds and then I think I'm done. I have a half dozen emails that I haven't answered yet because I really don't want to take the work, but can't seem to say no. So I started thinking about kits again, but this could be a potential nightmare. So I was curious to see how many could actually solder.

I'm decent.....but my son is an expert.  He's a certified Fiber Optics technician.  He's also and Air Traffic Control Technician (repair). 

I think a lot of folks admire the neat work creating a show piece of sorts.

As easy as it is to assemble these networks by following a schematic, laying them out properly and strategically with no reference and making them look professional is different than just "building" them.  Not the same end product.

• Like 1

I think a lot of folks admire the neat work creating a show piece of sorts.

As easy as it is to assemble these networks by following a schematic, laying them out properly and strategically with no reference and making them look professional is different than just "building" them.  Not the same end product.

Something like this?

wiring4.jpg

• Like 2

I did quite a bit when I was working at an R&D engineering firm many years back.  I'll still pick up an iron but admit that I'm not as skilled as I was back then.   Some of it attributed to the lack of decent equipment and materials.  I am planning on taking the PSOM out of my Bronco and replacing some caps and re-soldering the joints.  I just hope it will fire back up after.  :wacko: