How many here can actually solder?

Deang

I was 10, dad knew I was fixing TVs/Radios, I ask for a solder iron, he had no problem with that and awile later comes out of the garage with one.

Couple years later I find out it was a Wood Burning pencil :o, Hell it worked!

I learned to solder dam good.

Now that is a good story!

• Like 1

Jupiters flat side bees wax replacements... I Bought most of what was needed for a passive network that happened to be left for sale in the united states. As a matter of fact, I had to get some of the caps back from europe for my XO build.

Edited by Schu

Ok I give. What is it?

I think it has something to do with an alien invasion :)

LOL!!! Craig sometime you just crack me up!!! Ok that was the wires to the motor on one of my RC helicopters, while cutting the motor shft shorter I had forgot to move the stiff *** wires and hit it with the air grinder!!! So I cleaned the area up and wrapped and soldered some bus wire to repair it, I have since then gone 140 mph with this motor and those wires better than original!!! Before I became the Quality Inspector where I work I was in Production and all I did was solder all day long...

Wow 140 mph with one of those little toy cars...impressive.

Back in my drag racing days my 100% street driven stock suspicion 10" tired 67 camaro did 4' wheel stands running 9:20 @ 154 in the 1/4 mile before I gave it up and sold it to invest in this business...

The Jupiter Flat Stack has been replaced with the axial wound VT Series. I thought it was interesting that the first values Chris put out there were the 12uF and 2.2uF - the two values I use most.

I guess I'm scratching my head here....Jupiter has made flat stacks for a long time...What is new? Like I said I might be out of the loop over the last 10 months or so.

EDIT:

Oops there I go not reading your entire post before replying. I knew that but I figured they were readily available.

Edited by NOSValves

The Jupiter Flat Stack has been replaced with the axial wound VT Series. I thought it was interesting that the first values Chris put out there were the 12uF and 2.2uF - the two values I use most.

Dean, have you received any of the new Jupiters and how do the new VT sound compared to the Flat Stacks in the A and AA ?  If this is something you don't want to address in this thread I will move it.

No technical reason for them to sound any different. But visuals could easily skews folks perception.  

I was 10, dad knew I was fixing TVs/Radios, I ask for a solder iron, he had no problem with that and awile later comes out of the garage with one.

Couple years later I find out it was a Wood Burning pencil :o, Hell it worked!

I learned to solder dam good.

Now that is a good story!

Now for the rest of the solder iron story:

Couple of years of using the "Wood Burner" dad ask me to solder a couple wires on mine/HIS, HO gage train track, he watched, saying something like, WoW iv never seen anyone solder so fast/clean!, I told him I had to get fast and good because if you try and do it slow it will snap crakle and pop, and fry whatever you are working on!

All he said was , TOO MUCH HEAT, TOO HOT OF IRON, I did not know any better, he said he would get me a "Real" Iron, that is when he told me I was using a Wood Burner :o

The next day I set out to figure out how to cool/adjust the heat in my "Wood Burner".

I remember thinking of what I could find that has a control for heat.

Ah Ha, Mom's Sunbeam Iron!

Got into that puppy, disconnected the heating elements and hooked up my "New Temp controlled solder iron".

Took a week for mom to ask if id seen it, I was informed the next day by dad, he found it!

All he said was, tell your mom I will come home with a new Sunbeam and you're solder iron, meanwile, im taking this to work with me.

Got my new iron that night. Never saw my woodburner again, but when I went to dad's work sometimes the guys kept looking at me yelling

"Hire Him"! 

Burning fingers as a child taught me much :emotion-21:        

• Like 1

And that, my friend is a GREAT story. I really, really hope folks are raising their kids to use their brains nowadays. This is the kind of attitude and curiosity that made this country great! If we lose this we are doomed.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 1