How many here can actually solder?

Deang

I've been playing with wires since I was 7, and soldering since I was about 8, mostly radios and other projects I saw in library books. In high school I accidentally shorted the output of a graphic equalizer and blew the op amp IC; the repair guy at the car stereo store told me to get a roll of desoldering wick and explained how to replace it. In the navy I went to a month long miniature soldering school and got NEC 9527 out of it. I remember one entire day was spent tinning resistors, another whole day was spent bending them so that they fell out perfectly when the board was held upside down. After one of the tasks, the instructor would take the hot soldering iron and stick it straight thru the board and tell the student to repair it. I still clean, flux, and tin everything before soldering it to something else, then clean the flux off with IPA. I've recapped the crossovers in my 1966 KWOs, rebuilt the ones in my Minimus-7s, and built a 45 amp from an article in Glass Audio. A crossover would have been something that a bunch of us here could have assembled before junior high school.

Dave    retired USN tron chaser

• Like 1

Mustang Guy, my avatar picture is a common one I lifted off the internet. My mom told me how I was left alone in a room as a toddler and a piece of string was found hanging out of an outlet when she returned. Some of us got bitten by the electrical bug pretty early. Or zapped by it.

Dave

My, then ~8 year-old, younger brother used diagonal cutters to cut the cord of a TV that was plugged in and turned on. He was knocked across the room. He suffered no longterm ill-effects, but the cutters had a notch melted into the blades. I came across those "welded" cutters among our late father's tools, so I made certain they went to my brother. He still uses them. They still cut and the notch works well to strip insulation.

Even though he's now an engineer, his soldering skills are minimal. The TV cord experiment gave him a lifelong respect for the danger of electricity.

Edited by DizRotus

I've got a Pioneer Elite receiver that needs a new IC surface mount soldered on a board. It's a known design defect. I haven't spent the money on the new IC ($50?) until I find someone willing do it. After the IC is mounted then there are two 0-ohm (???) resistors that need no be moved.

Been putting this off since October and is the only thing keeping from throwing the whole thing in the trash as I really don't have an immediate use for the unit (hoping to put it in my new garage that hasn't been built yet and probably won't for a good while). Paid $125 on CL a few years ago for it.

0 ohm resistors? That would be a wire wouldn't it?

I guess so: "Zero Ohm "resistors" are frequently used as links on single side boards because they can be placed by component insertion machines that can insert resistors. High volume single sided board manufacturers often use a separate link inserting machine - whose frighteningly fast speeds need to be seen to be believed."

Dave, the picture you have as an avatar could be many of us on the forum I suspect. My experience was with one of my mom's bobby pins. I don't know how old I was, but I know it was before I got my chemistry set. That's when the real fun began!   :)

And I suspect what you suspect is 100% right. 

I looked exactly like that little kid in Dave's avatar, when I did exactly what he did.  At age 6 I would NEVER have thought to put a butter knife in an outlet, until of course my mom told me not to, and then refused to tell me why.  When she wasn't looking I put that knife in there and it blew me across the hallway and I banged my head against the wall.

So I figured out "why" for myself.  Apparently putting a butter knife in an electrical outlet hurts your head.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Yeah.  My earliest memory (two years old?)  was getting zapped when I put my finger in a light bulb socket.  It was a lamp for the nursery with a blue and white stylized locomotive at the base.  I must have somehow climbed up and unscrewed the bulb and worked the switch.

Recalling that I realize how parents say that inquisitive kids will get into dangerous things quite unexpectedly. 

WMcD

Ok. The real test is unsoldering a 40 pin chip without destroying the board and then soldering in a new one without destroying the chip. If you can do that I will certify you even though my certification means nothing.

JJK