Copper woofer issues?

teaman

18 copper cerametallic goldish looking woofers in my room and no dents, creases, etc. yet Been rocking most of them for almost 5 years now.

My buddy with his RF82II's who gave his 12 year old son an air soft pistol, well that's a whole other story.

Edited by Tasdom

I did put my knee into one of my RB5s (on stands) in my bedroom. Put a couple of creases in it.

Just the weight of the magnets can distort the woofer and cause creases / wrinkles if not handled correctly. Especially when shipping is involved.

• Like 1

I think a lot of the ones that hit the secondary market have been mistreated over the years, by owner or their children.  We all want that perfect set of used speakers, well at least I do.  Problem is when a guy puts his "mint" grade speakers for sale, people offer comparable prices to the damaged speakers that are listed or have sold.  Maybe the ones that hit the seconadry market are being sold for the reason that they do have cosmetic damage. 

As for the color of the woofers, what color would you describe them as beside copper?

The only time I got a dent in a woofer was when I was building my RW-12d sonosub.  I dropped a screw on the dust cap and it got a couple of small dents.  Shortly after, I purchased a new driver from Klipsch.   :)  It's in a downfiring position and I can't see it, but I still couldn't stand having dents in the woofer.

The dust caps seem to dent significantly more easily.

Edited by yamahaSHO

• 1 month later...

Had a friend over showing off my speakers. Took the grill off and three dents in the bottom of my RP-280F. Same as the OP. Just bought in January. No kids, no pets. Grills have always been on except when showing the copper to people.

post-62781-0-58400000-1459710515_thumb.j

• Like 2

Had a friend over showing off my speakers. Took the grill off and three dents in the bottom of my RP-280F. Same as the OP. Just bought in January. No kids, no pets. Grills have always been on except when showing the copper to people.

Did you look at them when you got them? That wouldn't make any sense from just playing them. Perhaps something happened in manufacturing or shipping.

I've had bunches of Klipsch speakers over the last 10 years after upgrading time and time again. Never seen this. Was hoping this was my last upgrade and wanted to keep them looking good.

Crap, I just don't know how it happened. I don't really crank them up much

• Like 1

Just the weight of the magnets can distort the woofer and cause creases / wrinkles if not handled correctly.

The cone is NOT mechanically connected to the magnet except by the foam surround, right? I'm guessing a crash (dropping the speaker) could cause this problem?

In my case, the RC-3 II that has the tiny imprint pock marks on the copper cone were definitely not there when I put the speaker up. I have two pugs but can assure you they have never been on the four foot high shelf over the tv. It wasn't until I checked the speaker out right before starting this thread that I noticed the marks. I have never cranked the speakers up and no one else goes in my room, or anywhere near the speakers.

• Like 1

Just the weight of the magnets can distort the woofer and cause creases / wrinkles if not handled correctly.

The cone is NOT mechanically connected to the magnet except by the foam surround, right? I'm guessing a crash (dropping the speaker) could cause this problem?

If this was true, they couldn't be shipped. I helped the UPS guy take them off the truck. They were flat in the truck. And I'm sure bouncing around all day in the truck ( I was his last delivery of the day, about 6pm). And I don't know how they were shipped across the country.
  • Like 1

I don't have a clue what happened. I do not abuse my speakers I am very proud of the way they sound and look. I am very careful around them. I want to keep them good. I'm nearing retirement and I have to take care of what I have.

No pets, kids are grown up, no grandkids yet, didn't drop anything on them. Where the dents are, something would have to be thrown into them. I can assure everyone that did not happen.

Really like my speakers. I'm just very disappointed this happened.

• Like 1