Yamaha SP2060

Chris A

Very good used 2-in, 6-out loudspeaker processors (active crossover) at a low price ($CA), 24 bit/96kHz internally. I use one of these on my Jubs with TAD 4002s: its performance is very transparent relative to Dx38s:

http://www.allstar-show.com/used-gear/0,29,yamaha-sp2060-speaker-processor.html

No affiliation.

Chris

• 1 month later...

I just received the last one complete with the box, paperwork and cord for 516.97 US Dollars.

I inquired back in December and didn't get one because of the lack of box, plus these units were 8 years old... I got interested again when I found out the price listed was CAD. So, I emailed the seller a couple of weeks ago and he said: "Turns out you got lucky – you’re getting the last one we have, which has been designated as a “spare” all its life.  It’s still got its original packaging and it’s not unlikely that it’s never even been plugged in."

It is spotless! No doubt about it looks and smells brand new!

post-54865-0-04520000-1458075105_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just received the last one complete with the box, paperwork and cord for 516.97 US Dollars.

I inquired back in December and didn't get one because of the lack of box, plus these units were 8 years old... I got interested again when I found out the price listed was CAD. So, I emailed the seller a couple of weeks ago and he said: "Turns out you got lucky – you’re getting the last one we have, which has been designated as a “spare” all its life.  It’s still got its original packaging and it’s not unlikely that it’s never even been plugged in."

It is spotless! No doubt about it looks and smells brand new!

I was one of the people that got one of the units without the original box and just received it last week.  Ordered it in February not long after Chris posted, but it seemed to disappear for a while during the process of clearing customs somewhere in Pembina, ND.  I never had to wait this long on anything international coming through New York, but maybe they move much slower in North Dakota as opposed to New York.   

• Like 1

I was extremely fortunate to get the only unit that was basically new.  Fjd, I feel even more so now that I've heard your story.

I've never had an item take so long to clear customs, especially since I couldn't find any signs that the box was actually opened and content inspected.  However, the aspects that I find most important are that it did arrive safely and appears to be in working order with minimal cosmetic wear.

I got one of the "used" ones also. It is all water under the bridge now but the seller charged me $48US for "customs brokerage" then when I got the unit I was charged another $67US "customs brokerage and tarif" by UPS. So basically 25% of the unit cost to get from Canada to the US. I am so glad we have a "free trade" agreement with Canada.

I realized that my few previous interactions with Canada have been to either make the drive and pick up the item or the seller has used Canada Post, and sending to Canada has been USPS resulting in none having gone through customs.  I don't have my notes with me, but I had tried to verify the various charges to figure out exactly who got what, and I had the same $48 for customs and brokerage, but I was only charged the standard $25.95 by UPS upon delivery (not sure the exact reason for the additional $41 you were charged over the $26).  I tend to believe that UPS automatically sends everything to customs in order to charge $25.95 for brokerage, somewhat similar to how they often refuse to insure something unless you let them toss it in their box of peanuts and pay an additional $20 - $30.  Overall, still an excellent deal over what I've seen available on the use market and still substantially cheaper than the $1,000 "c-stock" example currently on eBay. 

All I received from the AllStar was a "transaction receipt" that only listed the charge amount as $690.33 CAD. Which came to 516.97 US Dollars. So, I dunno what I was charged for tax and all that? I tried to get a hold of the salesman, Warren Strum, but he no longer works there. I'm actually happy with how my deal turned out. Sorry to hear that you guys weren't so. It still beats Ebay.

I have a variety of pro amps powering my front, center channel and sub all active. My plan is to use the Yamaha SP2060 to go active with my surround Khorns. I'm looking into picking up a couple (three, maybe that would be a "few"?) Crown amps from AllStar, different salesman, Michael McMahon. They currently don't have any used amps in stock, but he said he could swing a package deal on multiple units. I'd be surprised if he could beat the going US prices.

So DavidH,

You did not get charged any "customs brokerage" or "tariffs" on this side of the border?  Pasadena and Murrieta are like what 50 miles apart and both in the USA last time I checked. I am happy for you but just more po'd now. WTF? Fu*king UPS azzholes. I still did OK price wise compared to a "new" unit, problem is I did not get a "new" unit like you did. Buy from Canada? NEVER AGAIN. FREE TRADE MY AZZ!

BTW, 50 miles, would love to come and hear your system someday. :)

Edited by babadono

I guess I didn't get charged? It really doesn't make any sense that you got such a raw deal and I didn't. I must be living right... But, I've had my share of bad luck with a couple of audio acquisitions. This deal makes up for another one that I'm still PO'ed about.

Forget about any other deals from the Canadian AllStar Industries. They quoted me $20 under list for the Crown amps I'm needing. There's always Amazon!

Your welcome to come by and take a listen. Send a PM and we can work out a time. It's 77.1 miles between Pasadena and Murrieta. That's not too much of a ride, much on a Sunday morning.

• 9 months later...

The real advantage of the Yamaha crossover is that AES/EBU input port on the back that you can route S/PDIF digital through (using an S/PDIF-to-AES/EBU converter), thus bypassing the conversion to analog in the preamp and reconverting back to digital in the input of the crossover. 

That's a nice feature that can bring its own level of hi-fi along with it.  It also eliminates noise down to that level in the signal chain.

Chris

• Like 1