The Rabbit Hole of Remotes (Just Ordered a URC MX-890)

Youthman

it is odd that they don't have Panasonic projectors listed in the data base. But you do need to remember as far as URC is concerned you're not supposed to be programming your own remote, you are not supposed to have the software. URC does not intend on customers ever programming their own remote. They intend on you paying for a custom installer more than the cost of a Harmony One just to program your URC remote. URC installers can get codes that aren't in the database and learning commands from another remote is also very easy to do.

But URC does not consider itself in competition with Harmony they are in the custom installer market.

• Moderators
URC installers can get codes that aren't in the database

That seems strange but I'm not URC.  LOL

But URC does not consider itself in competition with Harmony they are in the custom installer market.

I totally get that Installers are the ones using the software but it just seems strange that they don't provide the codes to their installers within their own software.

They are a pair the MRF-350 needs the RFX-250 to work, If I had an MRX-1 base station I'd also need an RFX-250 to make it work.

Also you can also use more than one RFX-250 to increase RF range.

In addition the MRF-350 has six 3.5 mm IR outputs another MRF-350 can be added if more than six 3.5 mm IR outputs are needed

Edited by Rich_Guy

Here is more on the MRF-350

http://www.universalremote.com/pdf/MRF-350_Rev04_130822.pdf

URC remotes are capable of far more than Harmony especially in its RF capabilities, plus much more customization. URC remotes also have the most powerful IR signals I have seen in any remote, plus they are very well made, I think quite a bit better than Harmony.

• Moderators

Unit has some wear on the 8 buttons at the top of the remote.  Looks like the black paint is peeling off. 

Headed back into the manual to see if I can figure out some basic programming.  So far I haven't gotten very far.  LOL

urc-mx-890-1.jpg

Edited by Youthman

• Moderators

Here is what I would like to setup

Home Page will have my "Activities" (Watch Bluray, Listen Music etc).

2nd Page will have my "Devices" (Receiver, Projector etc)

If you click on a device, it will take you to the page with the buttons for that device that I use.

So I decide to start from scratch to get some guidance as to whether or not I'm doing it correctly to achieve the above

1.  Open CC and chose Default (1 Room, 1 Remote), selected MX-890 and hit OK.

urc-complete-control-01.jpg

2.  Selected Glass Theme and hit OK

urc-complete-control-02.jpg

urc-complete-control-1.jpg

3.  Right Click on "Page 1" and renamed to "Activities"

4.  Right Click where I want to create a button on the LCD screen and choose "Add Button"

urc-complete-control-2.jpg

urc-complete-control-3.jpg

5.  Click on "Create and Name Devices"

urc-complete-control-4.jpg

6.  At the bottom, I chose Category > Activities and Theme>Apex and found "Watch" in the list of icons and dragged it to the left panel and dropped it onto the "Button" that I had created.

urc-complete-control-5.jpg

7.  Under "Device Name" at the bottom, I changed it from "Watch" to "Watch Bluray" and hit "Next" and then "Save this Page".

urc-complete-control-6.jpg

8.  Chose a Layout for "Watch Bluray"

urc-complete-control-7.jpg

• Moderators

Before I go too far, do I need to reset the 980 to Factory Default to remove the programming from the previous owner?  In the "Programming in CCP" PDF, it says to press and hold the "Watch and Listen" buttons for 5 seconds.  The 890 does not have those buttons.  I do not see any info on resetting to factory in the "MX-890 Programming Manual".