"Encryption -- A Right of Privacy?"

Jim Naseum

According to you, good.  That way, software developers can't prevent unauthorized access to their applications.

According to me, bad.  Intellectual property rights are a good thing for developers.  Further, unrelated to software development, people should be able to communicate using whatever means is available to them to secure their right to privacy.

• Like 1

According to you, good. That way, software developers can't prevent unauthorized access to their applications.

According to me, bad. Intellectual property rights are a good thing for developers. Further, unrelated to software development, people should be able to communicate using whatever means is available to them to secure their right to privacy.

Ha ha! Very good. But I'd be happy to trade copy protection for my own ability to keep my digital information completely private under any and all circumstances. So, I say, bad, very bad!

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

I've heard a lot about the Swartz documentary, but have not watched it yet. I will probably see it soon.

How is Comey planning on accomplishing this new law? I assume it will be national security related? He has been grumbling very loudly of late.

The government chose this case since it was terrorists, and the public can't sympathize with terrorists. This whole case is troubling to me since the first day of the San Bernadino attack, all witnesses reported three white athletic built men in military black uniforms carried out the attack. Not a conspiracy theorist, just a realist. Even though eye witness accounts are the least trustworthy in any investigation, something just doesn't feel right about this whole mess.

It is too late to change this country becoming a police state to rival any in history. The majority believe in giving up rights for security. I have sons working in the cutting edge of tech, and neither believe there is any way that privacy exists, or has existed for the last couple of decades. 

Edited by Rivervalleymgb
  • Like 4

Suppose the dead terrorist had buried his data in the desert. Can the government require construction companies with lots of digging gear to go dig in the desert to help them find the box, using this all writs law?

Apple says they are not a party to the case.

Suppose the dead terrorist had buried his data in the desert. Can the government require construction companies with lots of digging gear to go dig in the desert to help them find the box, using this all writs law?

Apple says they are not a party to the case.

That's not a perfect analogy, nor is this one:

Can the government require a landowner to allow it to enter its premises to dig up evidence of a crime committed by somebody other than the

landowner?

The Apple situation is in between our 2 analogies.

According to you, good.  That way, software developers can't prevent unauthorized access to their applications.   According to me, bad.  Intellectual property rights are a good thing for developers.  Further, unrelated to software development, people should be able to communicate using whatever means is available to them to secure their right to privacy.
Anything wrong with preventing access except through a judge's order -- in other words, get a warrant? 
  • Like 3

According to you, good. That way, software developers can't prevent unauthorized access to their applications. According to me, bad. Intellectual property rights are a good thing for developers. Further, unrelated to software development, people should be able to communicate using whatever means is available to them to secure their right to privacy.

Anything wrong with preventing access except through a judge's order -- in other words, get a warrant?
The technologist properly argues that once a tool is created, everyone will have it. Just like the back doors in the internet.

• Like 1

I don't believe for one minute that the powers that be cant see what is on this phone.  However, I don't care who listens to my phone calls, looks at my pics or laughs at my naked azz while strolling through my house on Sat. morn.  One thing is for sure, I still want everyone's bag checked and I still want everyone go through a screening at the airport....and hey maybe metal detectors are a good idea at schools and movie theaters.  And no I don't want that "scared" woman to accidentally shoot me with her 380 that still has the tag on it while she is fumbling in her purse and Im just standing in line trying to some dam diapers.  The Govt doesn't scare me, but some of the "scared" people out there do.

• Like 1