"Encryption -- A Right of Privacy?"

Jim Naseum

Recently I changed my email host. As it turned out, the one I was using did not support SSL or any other secure connection and had decided not to in the future. What bugs me is that many folks don't even realize the emails they send and receive are not only sent as plain text through a dozen or so networks, but that their login and password are also plain text. Who needs to read the emails on the fly when all you have to do is put a packet sniffer on a network and get the login credentials.

Does anybody know if cell communication is encrypted? What about using a smartphone in a wifi network? How secure is it?

Everyone buckle up.

Think I have a better take on your thoughts.  Thanks for that, and stay happy. 

Dave

Please, give me your say. My views are adjusted daily as I wake up in a new world.    All jokes aside, I can look back at the simplicity of the 70's until now and its pretty scary when I think what my little boy will experience in his time.  I hope it is a lot less turbulent globally than it is now, but will it happen, no way.

Can anyone say where we are going?  It just makes me angry when I read what is going on and the decisions being made. Many "fixers" think they can over simplify things with policy remedies, but really what we need is a 9th grade honor student calling the shots.  Wait, I just over simplified things.

Everyone buckle up.

Think I have a better take on your thoughts. Thanks for that, and stay happy.

Dave

Please, give me your say. My views are adjusted daily as I wake up in a new world. All jokes aside, I can look back at the simplicity of the 70's until now and its pretty scary when I think what my little boy will experience in his time. I hope it is a lot less turbulent globally than it is now, but will it happen, no way.

Can anyone say where we are going? It just makes me angry when I read what is going on and the decisions being made. Many "fixers" think they can over simplify things with policy remedies, but really what we need is a 9th grade honor student calling the shots. Wait, I just over simplified things.

Keep your "real life" local.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dang, Max2, wish I could respond as I'd like but this isn't the place.  Let's just say I have some hope.  Not a lot, mind you, but hope.  Perhaps it's possible to have a country again where lights in your rear view mirror for no reason you know means it's a tail light or something that you really need to fix. 

Dave

• Like 1

They were definitely going to bury this kid so deep he'd never be see the light again.

Incorrect. Watch the video.

Well, I exaggerated a little, but they definitely were going to run his future with a felony.

Not to mention the threats and abuse of his girlfriend.

Edited by jo56steph74

A policeman is harmless compared to a used car finance man.   I needed some blood pressure meds about 3 hours ago, just now coming back down.

Max2, I respect your opinion but cannot comprehend your willingness to allow the government absolute power...which is really what you seem to be saying.  How did it come to be that people believe that the government has ANY rights to you unless you commit a crime?  This is incomprehensible to me. 

Today I would fear what was once common and given no thought...refusing to identify myself to an officer without reason, or wanting to search my car.  Did both back in the last days of freedom, but would fear now and don't know whether I'd surrender the last vestiges of an illusion of living in a free country or just cave in. 

Dave

Im from the South which you all can stereo type and I would probably hit on all the guessed keys. I don't like to see privacy and infringement going on. However, I can see the inevitable and its going to be more disclosure.

What do yo think Freedom will be like in 100- 150 years with technology hurling out of control like it is? Just think how plugged in the world will be then.   Just imagine for a minute.      There are going to have to be DRASTIC changes in many avenues.

Now think who and what regions will have the technology we have today at that 100+ year point....only hoping we are then, well, well beyond that.  How is that going to happen without everyone being somewhat "transparent?"

How long before GPS chips are mandatory for newborns or for children?

I bet it comes well before X-cons are mandated to have them.

Its all about Technology and mix it with Democracy and brother things are going to get much wilder. The country turning in to haves and have-nots is only fueling the turmoil. Desperate people with nothing to lose, brainwashed Xbox junkies massing the AK's and AR's,  "Spiritual" Fanatics and few bad immigrants,  well they're all coming over for a long stay if they're not already here.

Everyone buckle up. 

Don't worry. A reset is coming. By 2032 we'll have a new form of government. Whether it is a dictatorship or an evolution with an expanded respect for human rights and freedoms with the advancements in technology as a focus remains to be seen. As it looks now it'll be a dictatorship. Either way is fine with me since I'll be looking at it all from a distant shore.

Edited by Bella
  • Like 1

Swartz:

The story is worse than I had imagined. The level of ruthlessness, and slavish devotion to over prosecution is breathtaking. The government has had a couple hundred years to build a vicious superstructure of repression of democratic ideals. Brick by brick, with nothing but the two narrow interests of security and crony capitalism, the public's interests have been stolen and locked up behind a police state.

• Like 1

Don't worry. A reset is coming. By 2032 we'll have a new form of government. Whether it is a dictatorship or an evolution with an expanded respect for human rights and freedoms with the advancements in technology as a focus remains to be seen. As it looks now it'll be a dictatorship. Either way is fine with me since I'll be looking at it all from a distant shore.

We have a functional dictatorship now (since 2001). The dictator isn't a man, but a set of principles enforced at all cost. People rotate through a nominal presidency, but the policy matches on. The will of people is neglected, as proven by the researchers at Yale.

Minus superficial rhetoric in newspapers and media outlets, you wouldn't know by walking around that a different guy is in the WH as years go buy. Nothing changes.

Edited by jo56steph74

So the one thing that bothers me is if I put in a wrong code on the I phone once a day does it still erase the stuff after the 10th wrong code? How long a time interval is involved? One hour? One week before you can send in 10 wrong codes? When the Quantum computers hit the market this issue will be mute.

JJK

I think Apple will lose this battle. 

All the major networks are lining up the usual neocon-security-state-spokemen to pitch the public on why they don't need privacy and must do anything ordered to combat the massive fear of terrorism. CBS in particular, might as well be called the Pentagon Channel. But all those same, tired faces of the terrorism propaganda are making the rounds. John Miller, Chief Bratten, James Comey, et al. Not once yet, have I seen a privacy advocate appear on the same segment with the scare advocate - - not once!

Update

An exclusive USA TODAY poll conducted by SurveyMonkey reveals 51% of 1,093 people polled on Feb. 18-19 support the FBI's request to unlock the iPhone of Syed Riswan Farook, one of the killers in the San Bernardino, Calif., shootings in December.

END

The public is turning against Apple, and that spells doom for privacy advocates. 

A policeman is harmless compared to a used car finance man.   I needed some blood pressure meds about 3 hours ago, just now coming back down.

Max2, I respect your opinion but cannot comprehend your willingness to allow the government absolute power...which is really what you seem to be saying.  How did it come to be that people believe that the government has ANY rights to you unless you commit a crime?  This is incomprehensible to me. 

Today I would fear what was once common and given no thought...refusing to identify myself to an officer without reason, or wanting to search my car.  Did both back in the last days of freedom, but would fear now and don't know whether I'd surrender the last vestiges of an illusion of living in a free country or just cave in. 

Dave

Im from the South which you all can stereo type and I would probably hit on all the guessed keys. I don't like to see privacy and infringement going on. However, I can see the inevitable and its going to be more disclosure.

What do yo think Freedom will be like in 100- 150 years with technology hurling out of control like it is? Just think how plugged in the world will be then.   Just imagine for a minute.      There are going to have to be DRASTIC changes in many avenues.

Now think who and what regions will have the technology we have today at that 100+ year point....only hoping we are then, well, well beyond that.  How is that going to happen without everyone being somewhat "transparent?"

I bet it comes well before X-cons are mandated to have them.

Its all about Technology and mix it with Democracy and brother things are going to get much wilder. The country turning in to haves and have-nots is only fueling the turmoil. Desperate people with nothing to lose, brainwashed Xbox junkies massing the AK's and AR's,  "Spiritual" Fanatics and few bad immigrants,  well they're all coming over for a long stay if they're not already here.

Everyone buckle up. 

I'd bet within 25 years we are there. Not even remotely close to 100 years.

• Like 1

I think Apple will lose this battle. 

All the major networks are lining up the usual neocon-security-state-spokemen to pitch the public on why they don't need privacy and must do anything ordered to combat the massive fear of terrorism. CBS in particular, might as well be called the Pentagon Channel. But all those same, tired faces of the terrorism propaganda are making the rounds. John Miller, Chief Bratten, James Comey, et al. Not once yet, have I seen a privacy advocate appear on the same segment with the scare advocate - - not once!

The mother of one of the victims actually spoke out and said Apple is correct, it should stay locked.

I'm on both sides of the fence as it's easy for me to be. I don't think we should lose our so called "rights to privacy" as they have been long taken away from us, but on face value, if a terrorist has done something already, then we should be able to access the information. I know it's a double edged sword and isn't really a realistic way, but that's my thought on it. Until you've done something to get those rights taken away, you should have them.

They are already experimenting with this idea at several companies where employees have chips put into their wrists as a "key" to punch in/out, make copies, etc.

Maybe what we need to do is have a child as president for their ideas, and have implementation done with technology. What child is a racist? What child shows hate towards another child? What child doesn't think we are all "equal" in most ways? What child values money?

I know as a child I always thought why can't everyone just get along and help each other? Why do we need money if we all come together and help each other with everyday needs?