"Encryption -- A Right of Privacy?"

Jim Naseum

We have a functional dictatorship now (since 2001). The dictator isn't a man, but a set of principles enforced at all cost. People rotate through a nominal presidency, but the policy matches on. The will of people is neglected, as proven by the researchers at Yale. Minus superficial rhetoric in newspapers and media outlets, you wouldn't know by walking around that a different guy is in the WH as years go buy. Nothing changes

Can you provide a link for the study?

We have a functional dictatorship now (since 2001). The dictator isn't a man, but a set of principles enforced at all cost. People rotate through a nominal presidency, but the policy matches on. The will of people is neglected, as proven by the researchers at Yale. Minus superficial rhetoric in newspapers and media outlets, you wouldn't know by walking around that a different guy is in the WH as years go buy. Nothing changes

I have no idea if there is a link. It was published a few months ago. Shouldn't be too hard to find, I suspect.

I have no idea if there is a link. It was published a few months ago. Shouldn't be too hard to find, I suspect.

I don't see a link either, but I do have to agree, we do have this happening everyday. It's getting worse daily. And being on the east coast we are bum rushed with the BS daily. NYC now wants to make it legal for illegal aliens and undocumented immigrants,which are still illegals to vote in the upcoming elections. We just had an arrest yesterday in Ocean County (Waretown) where the perp was arrested for having an outstanding warrant. He gets pulled over, no plates, no ID, no SS#, no insurance, no registration, has a deportation warrant out for him. Cop calls it in, desk calls ICE, ICE turns and says we aren't coming to get him, release him. Desk turns around and says to cop release him. Cop says to perp, you're free to go. Tells him to call someone with a valid license to come and drive him back home. No impounding of the car, no tickets, nothing. Why? But let you or me do this, and we are in jail, out on bail, tickets, car impounded, court dates, and license suspension. How's that work? Sounds like principals being enforced to me. Is the will of the people here being neglected when we have to abide by rules, but illegals don't?

Cop calls it in, desk calls ICE, ICE turns and says we aren't coming to get him, release him. Desk turns around and says to cop release him. Cop says to perp, you're free to go. Tells him to call someone with a valid license to come and drive him back home. No impounding of the car, no tickets, nothing. Why?

Disgusting. I don't know why we can't make one nice clean sweep of all the trash and be done with it, do you? Alex Jones has had some mighty interesting things to say about this, and has The Savage Man! 

Cop calls it in, desk calls ICE, ICE turns and says we aren't coming to get him, release him. Desk turns around and says to cop release him. Cop says to perp, you're free to go. Tells him to call someone with a valid license to come and drive him back home. No impounding of the car, no tickets, nothing. Why?

Disgusting. I don't know why we can't make one nice clean sweep of all the trash and be done with it, do you? Alex Jones has had some mighty interesting things to say about this, and has The Savage Man! 

Thank the powers that be in Washington.

Under no circumstances do I think Apple should be forced to develop a product that today does not exist. This isn't compelling a company to comply with a court order, this is forcing a company to make something they aren't in business to make.

This will go to the U.S. Supreme Court I'm sure. A decision supportive of the FBI's position will have profound affects not just on privacy, but on corporate policy. If they can force you to make something outside of your business model what precedent does that set?

Edited by Bella

Pardon me if I missed it, but if the Feds want the phone unlocked why don't they do it themselves?  I am somehow supposed to believe that we don't have a corps of government hackers capable of hacking a TELEPHONE?  God help us with anything really sophisticated like a malignant foreign power.

Looks to me like a red herring to get a verdict that Apple may actually want.  Could well be that they told the Feds "Sure, but make it an order so we can say we had no choice but to build a back door" and the people say:  Of course, it's for our safety!"

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Pardon me if I missed it, but if the Feds want the phone unlocked why don't they do it themselves?  I am somehow supposed to believe that we don't have a corps of government hackers capable of hacking a TELEPHONE?  God help us with anything really sophisticated like a malignant foreign power.

Looks to me like a red herring to get a verdict that Apple may actually want.  Could well be that they told the Feds "Sure, but make it an order so we can say we had no choice but to build a back door" and the people say:  Of course, it's for our safety!"

Dave

Wrong.  The new generation will be impossible to crack.  Only because apple can get into this one is it an issue.  No one can help us as technology advances, just ask Hawking..

The new malignant foreign powers will be the technology corporations, haven't you seen Terminator?

Edited by oldtimer

Pardon me if I missed it, but if the Feds want the phone unlocked why don't they do it themselves?

They don't have any 14-16 year old's working for them yet. They outlawed that practice a while back.

Edited by Jim
  • Like 1

Wrong. The new generation will be impossible to crack. Only because apple can get into this one is it an issue. No one can help us as technology advances, just ask Hawking..

So, we are helpless in national defense, then?  We know quantum computers can hack such things with ease, and we know that they've developed to pretty high levels.   I suppose my assumption is that as with other technology the gov has moved much farther than we would know.

Or, maybe not and now Apple is the world's greatest military power.

Dave

Under no circumstances do I think Apple should be forced to develop a product that today does not exist. This isn't compelling a company to comply with a court order, this is forcing a company to make something they aren't in business to make.

This will go to the U.S. Supreme Court I'm sure. A decision supportive of the FBI's position will have profound affects not just on privacy, but on corporate policy. If they can force you to make something outside of your business model what precedent does that set?

Security trumps every other issue. Apple, is one of the most valuable companies in the world. They can not in any way risk being on the wrong side of an angry government. They will cave after putting up a fight to show their customers they are sincere. They can't win this, ultimately. Terrorism trumps the BoR, for crying out loud.