"Encryption -- A Right of Privacy?"

Jim Naseum

I just had my picture snapped while meeting a police cruiser parked on the side of the road by the Alma Police Dept.using a similar device. This really pisses me off. Police are not only capturing your license plate, by now your face for entry into the national database. This cop was stopped doing speed control duty. What business of it is his that he can capture my face without a warrant or any other reason without probable cause? 

The new weigh station on I-40 in Oklahoma just across the Arkansas line has about 15 cameras designed for the same purpose. Anyone passing by gets the inside of their vehicle captured. And folks are OK with this???

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/07/13/how-a-new-police-tool-for-face-recognition-works/

I don't believe for one minute that the powers that be cant see what is on this phone.  However, I don't care who listens to my phone calls, looks at my pics or laughs at my naked azz while strolling through my house on Sat. morn.  One thing is for sure, I still want everyone's bag checked and I still want everyone go through a screening at the airport....and hey maybe metal detectors are a good idea at schools and movie theaters.  And no I don't want that "scared" woman to accidentally shoot me with her 380 that still has the tag on it while she is fumbling in her purse and Im just standing in line trying to some dam diapers.  The Govt doesn't scare me, but some of the "scared" people out there do.

Piss off the wrong people and see why you need to fear the government. (I kept trying to figure out how to word this, but that is all I am willing to say.) Right doesn't win many arguments, but power always wins.

I have found that sometimes all that is required to piss someone off that works for the government is just show up in front of them and ask them to please do their job.

I just had my picture snapped while meeting a police cruiser parked on the side of the road by the Alma Police Dept.using a similar device. This really pisses me off. Police are not only capturing your license plate, by now your face for entry into the national database. This cop was stopped doing speed control duty. What business of it is his that he can capture my face without a warrant or any other reason without probable cause? 

The new weigh station on I-40 in Oklahoma just across the Arkansas line has about 15 cameras designed for the same purpose. Anyone passing by gets the inside of their vehicle captured. And folks are OK with this???

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/07/13/how-a-new-police-tool-for-face-recognition-works/

How would it matter if they were ok with it or not?

Since 2001, I can think of a hundred spots in California that record every plate and every driver. 

They were definitely going to bury this kid so deep he'd never be see the light again.

Seems to have been their plan.  I am not sure or not whether he distributed anything actually protected under the law, or just because you could only get it from JStor.  In any event, it is clear that the resources thrown at him in no way fit the alleged crime. 

Dave

Edited by Mallette

A policeman is harmless compared to a used car finance man.   I needed some blood pressure meds about 3 hours ago, just now coming back down.

Max2, I respect your opinion but cannot comprehend your willingness to allow the government absolute power...which is really what you seem to be saying.  How did it come to be that people believe that the government has ANY rights to you unless you commit a crime?  This is incomprehensible to me. 

Today I would fear what was once common and given no thought...refusing to identify myself to an officer without reason, or wanting to search my car.  Did both back in the last days of freedom, but would fear now and don't know whether I'd surrender the last vestiges of an illusion of living in a free country or just cave in. 

Dave

• Like 1

There is a lot of academic material I would like to peruse on Jstor and Elsevier, but it is usually about $33 per paper. Both of these services hamper scientific inquiry instead of promoting it.

I agree. The IP regime in the USA has wildly inflated the value of IP assets and wildly slowed innovation. I think it is way out of control. And unfortunately, the TPP is going to sell this crazy regime to the Pacific Rim. 

A policeman is harmless compared to a used car finance man.   I needed some blood pressure meds about 3 hours ago, just now coming back down.

Max2, I respect your opinion but cannot comprehend your willingness to allow the government absolute power...which is really what you seem to be saying.  How did it come to be that people believe that the government has ANY rights to you unless you commit a crime?  This is incomprehensible to me. 

Today I would fear what was once common and given no thought...refusing to identify myself to an officer without reason, or wanting to search my car.  Did both back in the last days of freedom, but would fear now and don't know whether I'd surrender the last vestiges of an illusion of living in a free country or just cave in. 

Dave

Im from the South which you all can stereo type and I would probably hit on all the guessed keys. I don't like to see privacy and infringement going on. However, I can see the inevitable and its going to be more disclosure.

What do yo think Freedom will be like in 100- 150 years with technology hurling out of control like it is? Just think how plugged in the world will be then.   Just imagine for a minute.      There are going to have to be DRASTIC changes in many avenues.

Now think who and what regions will have the technology we have today at that 100+ year point....only hoping we are then, well, well beyond that.  How is that going to happen without everyone being somewhat "transparent?"

How long before GPS chips are mandatory for newborns or for children?

I bet it comes well before X-cons are mandated to have them.

Its all about Technology and mix it with Democracy and brother things are going to get much wilder. The country turning in to haves and have-nots is only fueling the turmoil. Desperate people with nothing to lose, brainwashed Xbox junkies massing the AK's and AR's,  "Spiritual" Fanatics and few bad immigrants,  well they're all coming over for a long stay if they're not already here.

Everyone buckle up. 

• Like 2