Promedia 2.1 can't hear vocals

klavopa

Hey everyone,

Just created my account here on the forum, hopeful to learn a lot :)

So my problem is with my promedia 2.1 speakers. I bought them about 4 years ago and they worked amazingly up until a few months ago. I was trying to watch a movie on my computer and realized I could barely hear any of the dialogue. Switched to some music and it is similar, instrumentals coming through just fine but vocals are barely there. I would describe the vocals as muffled or kind of an underwater sound. 

I've tried looking this issue up and found the temporary fix of just partially unplugging the audio jack, which actually works. I let the audio jack hang a little bit out from my computer monitor and everything sounds fine, with the lower frequencies being not quite as present but at least dialogue is understandable. This is what I've been doing for the past few months but am growing tired of knowing there is a problem with the speakers. I cannot do the halfway plug directly with my Macbook, though, it just doesn't play if I try to unplug it a little. Also I've seen people suggest that the sound is now in 5.1 surround sound but I don't believe that's the case because it's the same with my phone. 

Some troubleshooting that I've tried:

• Tried plugging speakers into different audio sources (computer, phone, computer monitor) all with the same issue
  • If I use an extra 3.5mm audio cable to plug into my computer to the speaker set (not using the speaker's own 3.5mm jack) the issue is still present
    • Using the extra cable makes the volume overall higher, not sure if that is significant
  • If the speaker's 3.5mm jack is plugged in but I plug headphones into the speaker then the sound is back to normal

I am no expert with audio equipment but am not afraid to try and open the speakers up to look at the electronics inside if necessary. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I love these speakers. Also might be worth mentioning, I've purchased another set of these speakers once I thought my old set was broken because well.. I'm not about to use my built-in computer speakers. So I have one working set and this semi-working set. 

Thanks in advance y'all

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2022 at 1:09 AM, vdubpower said:

hi i am suddenly having this same problem with my Promedia 2.1 bt. 

Same as above... nothing comes out of the speakers but there is underwater sound from sub. I ve checked all connections etc and still nothing is working. 

Hey did you ever figure out a fix for this? My setup did the same thing. No sound from speakers, via 3.5mm jack or BT, but subwoofer has the underwater sound like its trying to play all the sounds itself.