100% In-Wall / In-Ceiling Question

vandec54

This is a question for a buddy of mine, which I couldn't answer.

He wishes to do a 5.1 speaker configuration with the rears being in-ceiling and the fronts being in-wall.

My response was to get the best Klipsch in-wall/ceiling speakers he could afford and buy 5.

His response was....if my center channel speaker is so important why doesn't a company make a "beefed up" center to match the other in-wall speakers?

Crickets....is what he heard from me.

Thoughts from Klipsch Nation?

Thank you

• Moderators

Typically with inwalls, you would use an LCR configuration for the front wall meaning three identical speakers.  This will provide the best sound and a perfectly seamless sound when panning from one speaker to the next.  No need for a "beefier" center.

They do make beefier centers, they just dont fit in the walls to good lol.
+1 ...there's also the balancing act between large direct-view television sets and large center channel speakers. Cosmetics and acoustic performance are inversely proportional in that regard. AT screens and projectors solve that issue, but at the same time open another can of worms.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

My response was to get the best Klipsch in-wall/ceiling speakers he could afford and buy 5.

I think your advice is sound.

Agree with both of you.

Myself I would rather see a normal front three than three grills on a wall. 

He wishes to do a 5.1 speaker configuration with the rears being in-ceiling and the fronts being in-wall.

Only reason to have in-ceiling for the rears is if you don't have any walls nearby, like if your small viewing area is in the middle of a huge great room. A friend of mine has a 7,500 square foot house and 1/3 of that is a great room where the side walls, which are a great distance away, are nearly all glass, and behind them is a kitchen. Just a weird deal if you had something like that going on. Ceiling surrounds may be better than nothing in that regard. Klipsch claims that their THX horns do some trickery where it sounds like they're coming from ear level than above you, may be neat in some situations.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

if my center channel speaker is so important why doesn't a company make a "beefed up" center to match the other in-wall speakers?

FYI, if you really need a horizontal center to match your mains, on a lot of them you can just turn the thing sideways. :)

Left and right version of the Klipsch pro-6504:

h714KL6504T-F.jpeg

special center channel version of the same thing.  ;)  

PRO-6504-L-THX_.jpg