RW-12d resonance issues or something going "blahhhnnnn"

SuBXeRo

I bought a system from a friend that's moving and he had bought a rw12d from newegg a few months ago but this sucker is having an issue. When he first got it the port tube vibrated apart so I glued it together which worked great. Unfortunately that was months ago and now I own the SOB and when I start cranking it it sounds like the sub is bottoming out but isn't, you know, sort of the limiting noise. It sounds like cabinet resonance in the plastic or the front joints butnincamt pinpoint in and I can't get the front fascia off to remove the port tube to see if there is an air leak. One would think no biggie because it's already ported but I don't know what else it could be.

Thoughts???

Rammat is a mass loading butyl deadening material to eliminate mechanical resonance in a cars frame. It's applied directly to the metal. They also have closed cell foam which takes care of other vibrations and resonances. I applied this to the port tube in the hopes that it would isolate the driver from the tube since they were touching to help eliminate resonance if that was the case.

The driver could be faulty but I have my doubts. Suspension feels good and its working, even excursion, didn't see anything loose.

The box on that sub irritated me so much that I ended up making my own box for the driver.  Mine creaked and chuffed like mad, and that's without the driver moving a whole lot.  I originally had two RW-12d's and replaced them with SVS PC-12NSD's.  That inspired me to match them in appearance, and the sub turned out to perform on par with the SVS.

It now performs like what I thought it should.  

38957734073_large.jpg

med_gallery_13208_320_736123.jpg

I love my SVS subs, they hit so clean. The noise I hear is what I would equate to chuffing as a sound but it sounds like air being forced out a different area. Too many variables. I was debating building another box and probably will. Good way to hone my speaker building skills as it's something I'd like to do more of.

So i did some more testing and I am pretty sure there's an air leak behind the port that I can't see or get to which is a source of noise in addition to horrendous port chuffing. I want to think that Klipsch wouldn't have designed a sub with terrible chuffing but anything is possible.

At this point I think this into a salvage project. It's disappointing to say the least but hey, the amp and DSP work.

So i did some more testing and I am pretty sure there's an air leak behind the port that I can't see or get to which is a source of noise in addition to horrendous port chuffing. I want to think that Klipsch wouldn't have designed a sub with terrible chuffing but anything is possible.

At this point I think this has turned into a salvage project. It's disappointing to say the least but hey, the amp and DSP work and the sub too.

I was surprised too, the p weighs next to nothing, looks like a bunch of spare parts slapped together. Welcome to class d haha.

There's a guy selling another rw12d sub on Craig's for 100 which is ridiculous but would be fun to do a dual sub project.

Edited by SuBXeRo