Super Budget Theater Rebuild

ClintonH

Looks awesome! Wakejunkie made a DIY screen with two layers is spandex. Think it was silver in front and white in back. Looks fantastic

Thanks man :) Yes my screen would be the same white with the "silver" on top, that is what it is listed at but really it's a light grey. This stuff is Canada only (first time for everything) tested a bit better than the stuff from the US that was tested. Just a bit better for AT, not sure about picture.

Canada only you say? well where did you buy the spandex? What brand? I gather from a fabric store? I am in montreal... thinking of doing the same. But why 2 layers? Or is the screen reversible? white on one side.. .grey on the other?  Just puzzled if indeed it is 2 layers.

13W7 isn't that a car subwoofer? A very good sub nontheless I used to have the JL Audio 12w3 and that thing was pretty damn good! How's it working out for in home application? 

Lol yes but it's not your average sub and it's almost exact to what they use in there home line of Subs. The Fathom hase a little stronger motor and a bit more excurssion, other than that same dirver.

And yes one of these destroys my old TC Sounds LMS 15" that was in a 4 cubic foot box.

I have two 13W7's (other one is not veneered yet) each in 1.875 cubic foot sealed boxes, they extend fairly flat down to 10hz in room and they will take everything the Nu6000DSP can give which is 1800 watts per channel RMS .

And behind the couch for nearfield I have a 12W7 run in a 1.375 cubic foot box, it will be run off a NU3000DSP 1800 watts RMS. It's running off one side of the Nu6000 right now since I only have the 2. :)

Anyway yes they are fantasitc subs, very happy with the time and effort I put into em. 

Here is the the first sub measurement with REW no EQ etc, the dip at 60 is a room null where I had it placed. Don't pay attention to anything after 10hz, REW is not accurate past 10 as far as I have read.

Yes that is a cool sub.  I made a 4ft vented for an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12 inch. (I got a pair cheap)   tuned to 20Hz.  but man yours are tiny?  Where they flat down to 10 Hz when simulated in something like WinISP?  Or are you talking flat with room gain? (just as in car subs?)   The Infinities where not good in a small sealed box.

But why 2 layers? Or is the screen reversible? white on one side.. .grey on the other?  Just puzzled if indeed it is 2 layers.

Most nicer acoustically transparent screen setups have two layers due to bleed-through.  Usually the second layer is just speaker grill cloth or lightweight felt.  Light is going to get through one layer which can illuminate your goodies that hide behind it.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Looks awesome! Wakejunkie made a DIY screen with two layers is spandex. Think it was silver in front and white in back. Looks fantastic

Thanks man :) Yes my screen would be the same white with the "silver" on top, that is what it is listed at but really it's a light grey. This stuff is Canada only (first time for everything) tested a bit better than the stuff from the US that was tested. Just a bit better for AT, not sure about picture.

Canada only you say? well where did you buy the spandex? What brand? I gather from a fabric store? I am in montreal... thinking of doing the same. But why 2 layers? Or is the screen reversible? white on one side.. .grey on the other?  Just puzzled if indeed it is 2 layers.

Exaactly as MLO said it's for bleed through and since it's a stretched fabric the white behinde the grey (it's actually called silver) makes it a little brighter but still has far better blacks than a white top fabric. 

It's called Heavy Activewear Silver from Fabricland.  http://fabricville.com/en/heavy-activewear-silver.html

And the white is the same just white. ;) lol For a 110" screen I bought 2.5 meters of each and has a bit left over, if you stretched it really nicely you might get by with 2 meters but it would be tight at 10"

13W7 isn't that a car subwoofer? A very good sub nontheless I used to have the JL Audio 12w3 and that thing was pretty damn good! How's it working out for in home application? 

Lol yes but it's not your average sub and it's almost exact to what they use in there home line of Subs. The Fathom hase a little stronger motor and a bit more excurssion, other than that same dirver.

And yes one of these destroys my old TC Sounds LMS 15" that was in a 4 cubic foot box.

I have two 13W7's (other one is not veneered yet) each in 1.875 cubic foot sealed boxes, they extend fairly flat down to 10hz in room and they will take everything the Nu6000DSP can give which is 1800 watts per channel RMS .

And behind the couch for nearfield I have a 12W7 run in a 1.375 cubic foot box, it will be run off a NU3000DSP 1800 watts RMS. It's running off one side of the Nu6000 right now since I only have the 2. :)

Anyway yes they are fantasitc subs, very happy with the time and effort I put into em. 

Here is the the first sub measurement with REW no EQ etc, the dip at 60 is a room null where I had it placed. Don't pay attention to anything after 10hz, REW is not accurate past 10 as far as I have read.

Yes that is a cool sub.  I made a 4ft vented for an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12 inch. (I got a pair cheap)   tuned to 20Hz.  but man yours are tiny?  Where they flat down to 10 Hz when simulated in something like WinISP?  Or are you talking flat with room gain? (just as in car subs?)   The Infinities where not good in a small sealed box.

The reason I can use a tiny box is because they are desgined for a small box, your Infinity is just not on the same par just a budget sub but great for there price if you can afford the space they take. I had no desire to fill my room with huge boxes so I paid a little more for my subs and put 2000 watss RMS into each one in a 1.875 cft box and they can take it with no problem at all. Here is a picture of one of the 13W7's next to a pop can for size ref and a 8" driver out of a RF35. They weigh 54 LBS each so there built fairly well, made my TC sounds look small. lol

1252016215746_zpswx6gkqby.jpg

125201621583_zpsv8fqlkff.jpg

And a bit of a update, I got the center channel in a few days ago, it looks smaller but it's the same size as the others just a lighter paint. ;) Havn't rerun Audyssey yet but even still it is so much clearer and dynamic sound stage is seamless between the three, super happy with the outcome and it should just get better.  Cleaned up the wires a bit as well, with a case for the wires running up behind the sceen

Also built a quick cover for my AV rack out of 1x2" poplar covered in speaker grille cloth and held on by the spring loaded magnet dealies. :)

1252016215733_zpscsxcbtlb.jpg

• Like 1

Exaactly as MLO said it's for bleed through and since it's a stretched fabric the white behinde the grey (it's actually called silver) makes it a little brighter but still has far better blacks than a white top fabric. 

It's called Heavy Activewear Silver from Fabricland.  http://fabricville.com/en/heavy-activewear-silver.html

And the white is the same just white. ;) lol For a 110" screen I bought 2.5 meters of each and has a bit left over, if you stretched it really nicely you might get by with 2 meters but it would be tight at 10"

The reason I can use a tiny box is because they are desgined for a small box, your Infinity is just not on the same par just a budget sub but great for there price if you can afford the space they take. I had no desire to fill my room with huge boxes so I paid a little more for my subs and put 2000 watss RMS into each one in a 1.875 cft box and they can take it with no problem at all. Here is a picture of one of the 13W7's next to a pop can for size ref and a 8" driver out of a RF35. They weigh 54 LBS each so there built fairly well, made my TC sounds look small. lol

Sure , the JL is among the best subs bar none on the market at any price.. But it still wont go "flat to 10Hz" in a sealed box. See the WinISD plots of the JL vs my infinity Perfect..  both in 1.75cuft box. Both almost on top of each other.  Yes with twice the XMax and power handling, the JL will put out 6dB more.  So how did you get "flat to 10" Hz? did you apply low frequency EQ with the Beringer DSP amp? Or are you implying room gain to get down to 10Hz? 

Edited by efzauner

2X the Xmax and 2X the power? As far as can see your Infinity can handle 350 watts RMS and has a 14 mm Xmax plus it's a 12" driver. The JL can do 1500 watts RMS and has a 32mm Xmax , I know not a huge difference in Xmax but with the larger cone and 4X the power handling. The W7 has just over 3X the displacement with the cone area and Xmax alone.

Yes in room with one channel of a 6000DSP no EQ or processing of any kind, it is flat down to 10hz as you can see in the graph I posted.

2X the Xmax and 2X the power? As far as can see your Infinity can handle 350 watts RMS and has a 14 mm Xmax plus it's a 12" driver. The JL can do 1500 watts RMS and has a 32mm Xmax , I know not a huge difference in Xmax but with the larger cone and 4X the power handling. The W7 has just over 3X the displacement with the cone area and Xmax alone.

Yes in room with one channel of a 6000DSP no EQ or processing of any kind, it is flat down to 10hz as you can see in the graph I posted.

Thank you, clarifies what you meant by 10Hz.  was not trying to dispute that the JL is a great sub and you did an amazing job!

Thank you, clarifies what you meant by 10Hz.  was not trying to dispute that the JL is a great sub and you did an amazing job!

NP, I just don't see the point in measuring your gear not in your room. That's where your going to use it so makes sense to see how it responds in place.

And managed to get the send front 13W7 sub veneered and 2 coats of stain on tonight. I used a different brand for this one and totally doesn't match the other side since I stained it a different way as well. I like it way better so I'll end up rebuilding the first box sometime to match this one. Will be painting the front and back texture black (like the first sub)  tomorrow and maybe a coat or 2 of varnish on the Walnut.  Second time veneering, so be kind. ^_^

1262016215252_zps8smpjwzb.jpg

1262016215319_zpst0nuvseg.jpg

• Like 1