Happy new owner of some Klipsch Chorus speakers! What center to use?

AaronB123

Yeah, the Academy has a 90x40 exponential horn and that matches the 90x40 exponential horns on the Chorus. So it's about as close (tonally) as you can get. You may also be able to find one with the same type of veneer. So it'll be close in the looks department as well (if that matters to you).

Here's the link to the Chorus page/specs in case you haven't seen them before.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130527204020/http://www.klipsch.com/chorus-floorstanding-speaker

• Like 2

I'm awfully glad I inquired about this because i'm finding that getting a single speaker from the heritage line will be much cheaper than getting a reference premier center that I was previously thinking of. In fact so much cheaper that I may be able to squeeze in replacing the rears as well with some Klipsch. Would you guys suggest doing that or would you say just leave the rear's alone? Right now I am running JBL ES20's I have no complaints with them plus the rears really don't do all that much compared to the mains and center.  Definitely open to suggestion though. 

Yeah, the Academy has a 90x40 exponential horn and that matches the 90x40 exponential horns on the Chorus. So it's about as close (tonally) as you can get. You may also be able to find one with the same type of veneer. So it'll be close in the looks department as well (if that matters to you).

Here's the link to the Chorus page/specs in case you haven't seen them before.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130527204020/http://www.klipsch.com/chorus-floorstanding-speaker

Thank you! I have actually been looking for this! 

• Moderators

You might want to add your gear to your signature so we can see what you have to work with.  Like what receiver you are using.  Might be able to make some suggestions on how to get more out of your surrounds.  You should be hearing them throughout the entire movie.  So it's not like they just get a little bit of info every once in awhile.

You might want to add your gear to your signature so we can see what you have to work with.  Like what receiver you are using.  Might be able to make some suggestions on how to get more out of your surrounds.  You should be hearing them throughout the entire movie.  So it's not like they just get a little bit of info every once in awhile.

Great idea. 

Small rears don't do much in a 5 or 7 channel system because, well they're small. Get a real speaker for side and surround and you will be amazed at what they put out. But i do agree it's not the most important part of a good home theater system by a long shot. Welcome to the forum.

• Like 2

Small rears don't do much in a 5 or 7 channel system because, well they're small. Get a real speaker for side and surround and you will be amazed at what they put out. But i do agree it's not the most important part of a good home theater system by a long shot. Welcome to the forum.

Ya, that definitely makes sense. I've always had budget speakers for my rears. I guess it's time to change that!

• Like 1

You did great choosing the Chorus. I know I'm the 20th person who has told you that. Just how much room is under the TV? Got  picture of that? It might help all us narrow the field for you. Personally, I would go back in time and buy the 3 Heresy speakers that sold on the bay last week for $340 shipped. :)

• Moderators

I started out with the Velodyne CT-100, then Velodyne F-1500, then Velodyne HGS15, then a pair of Velodyne HGS15's, then a single Klipsch RSW-15 (performed as well as the pair of Velodyne HGS15's), then purchased a second Klipsch RSW-15, and now I have (3) RSW-15's.

It's a slippery slope around here....just wanting to give FULL DISCLOSURE!   :o:P:D:lol:

Welcome to the forum....

I think the Chorus is one of the best speakers Klipsch ever made....imho.... The Chorus was the 1st Klipsch I heard some 27+ years ago... That sound stuck with me... I new one day I would own some Klipsch speakers....

I see you will be using them for HT.... I've just started kinda working on a HT system..... I use my Chorus I's and II's for two channel.... When it comes to music those speaker ROCK and I do mean ROCK... They can put out some big sound that you can really feel... and I am not shy to put the power to em.... Big Carver amp power to get those 15" woofers woofing..... Yea I want to feel that music in my chest and those Chorus can do it.....Good choice ;)

Have fun.... and again welcome to the forum....

MKP :-)

Might want to look into to redoing the cross over and maybe bracing the cabinet. There is a lot of info on that in the forum...you have a lot of reading to catch up on. But welcome to the forum ,you did start with a good speaker.

My guess is you will get bigger heritage for the front and move those to the rears. I do not have theater as of yet to poor to afford the receiver for it. Maybe sell the JBLs so you can get more Heritage...yummy. Rick

The Academy is the best matched center for the Chorus line....Not all that easy to find.

Personally I never liked my RC-64 ....sold it. I went back to an RC-35 to run with my Forte's. Don't get me wrong the RC-64 is a nice center....maybe it just didn't work with my room.

Oh yea finding a cabinet for the Academy is impossible. I had to have one built.

But it sure is perrdy.

G.E.M.

post-36197-0-29120000-1455968141_thumb.j

Edited by oldred
  • Like 1

You did great choosing the Chorus. I know I'm the 20th person who has told you that. Just how much room is under the TV? Got  picture of that? It might help all us narrow the field for you. Personally, I would go back in time and buy the 3 Heresy speakers that sold on the bay last week for $340 shipped. :)

Ya, I was thinking that it would be best to upload a picture of my whole setup as well. Haha, excuse the printer on the floor I am in the process of finding a better spot for it. I had it on the sub but it was making a horrible rattling noise. That's an insane deal for the Hersey! Was that 340 each or for all 3?? 

post-62430-0-21800000-1455979331_thumb.j

I started out with the Velodyne CT-100, then Velodyne F-1500, then Velodyne HGS15, then a pair of Velodyne HGS15's, then a single Klipsch RSW-15 (performed as well as the pair of Velodyne HGS15's), then purchased a second Klipsch RSW-15, and now I have (3) RSW-15's.

It's a slippery slope around here....just wanting to give FULL DISCLOSURE!   :o:P:D:lol:

I have to fully admit that pretty much what you said is very similar to what got me into klipsch. I bought the Velodyne around 10 years ago when I first bought the JBL's before I ever knew about Klipsch but as I said then I got the Pro Media's for a computer setup and was completely blown away but then my brother bought the Energy take 6 classic's and that little 8 inch sub performed right up there with my 15 inch Velodyne. I was absolutely blown away by that! I can't even imagine what a 15 inch Klipsch would do haha honestly I would probably have to reinforce the windows in my house! 

As of right now though my main concern is the center and rears. I might upgrade the sub down the line but I wouldn't really be able to afford it right now unless I found a really good deal on a used one. This actually leads me to another question that I have though. I see here and from many people say these speakers have insane amounts of bass and truthfully I am not seeing that with my setup. I mean don't get me wrong they have really great bass but I am not finding that I'm blown away. Maybe that's because I'm comparing it to the bass output of my stand alone subwoofer? Could be a placement issue? I posted pictures of how I have them placed. Any critique as far as that goes would be welcome. 

Look into a pair of Heresy speakers for surrounds, and swap one in and out temporary like for your center and see if you can live with that Academy center :emotion-14: 

Personally, I like the Heresy 1.

Another thing you will find about your Chorus speakers is that the Bass will really come alive if you add a big amp to them, like 200-350 watts per channel :emotion-21: 

Roger

• Like 2