Speaker hum and static

TylerW

I need some help here. I currently have my tv, turntable, and computer plugged into my receiver which play through a pair of rp-150m. I'm getting a static/hum when it's on either of those three inputs. I have tried unplugging all electronics around my system to see if it was an interference. Nothing changed. I also unplugged the three inputs from the receiver and the static goes away except when I unplug the turntable. It actually gets worse when I unplug the turntable. Lastly, I took the input that normally goes into my computer and plugged it into my iPad and iPhone, no hum/static now even though it's the same cord. Anyone have some advice how to fix it. Thanks

• Like 1

I need some help here. I currently have my tv, turntable, and computer plugged into my receiver which play through a pair of rp-150m. I'm getting a static/hum when it's on either of those three inputs. I have tried unplugging all electronics around my system to see if it was an interference. Nothing changed. I also unplugged the three inputs from the receiver and the static goes away except when I unplug the turntable. It actually gets worse when I unplug the turntable. Lastly, I took the input that normally goes into my computer and plugged it into my iPad and iPhone, no hum/static now even though it's the same cord. Anyone have some advice how to fix it. Thanks

Do you mean it gets worse when you plug the turntable back in?

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

It sounds like EMF, electro magnetic interference.  This may not be an easy problem to tame.  Is there a cable box? One or more of the other devices may need to be grounded to the avr.  Cable boxes and well know culprits for noise in the audio chain.

Changing some of the interconnects may also be of benefit.  Cheaply made interconnects may not have enough cable sheilding.  Even rearranging the wire  to space them apart from each other may help.

Edited by derrickdj1

Hello, do you have them all plugged into the same electrical outlet? If not try doing that.  It sounds like a ground loop passing through the interconnects. The reason the iphone doesn't do it is because it is battery powered.

-Cindy

I agree with Cindy.  It sounds like a ground loop.

Have you tried turning up MUSIC as far as you normally would, then pausing the computer, muting the TV, or taking the needle off the record (careful, don't drop the needle at that volume!)?  It's conceivable that you may be turning the volume up to a higher level than you would ever use with music.  Some fairly good receivers will hum if the volume is turned way up.

It is very, very unlikely (next to impossible) that it is the speaker wire, but the interconnects could pick up some hum from each other or some other source, as derrickdj1 said.  Don't wiggle interconnects and don't unplug them while the receiver is on, or you could blow out your speakers.  It's possible that one of the interconnects could be damaged.  Some turntable/phono cartridges are prone to hum.  Do you have manuals for them, or can you access them online?  In the old days, they had us ground the turntable to the preamp or receiver, but it's been so long since I've had a turntable I don't know if this still recommended.  Someone else can tell you.

Edited by garyrc

It's a brand new system. The turntable is internally grounded. I'm testing the whole system in a different room, everything plugged into one power strip. Seem to still be having the same problems. I do have to turn the receiver up pretty high to hear the buzz/hum whatever you want to call it. Maybe I am just over reacting. And it's normal

Ok,so this is a brand new system and has done this from the get go. Unplug all the inputs so you just have the speakers hooked up to the receiver. Can you turn up the volume and not have the Hum/noise? Of course if you turn it way up you will have a little residual noise. Anyone that says there system has "no noise" is A) deaf or B ) A liar  :)

Edited by babadono

I do not have my phonograph grounded using the wire for that purpose. Connect and disconnect the phono ground wire and if there is no difference in sound do not use the wire. You might try calling a repair business some are customer oriented, they are out there it is what the repair shop I use does. They even look for this stuff and if they find no solution there isn't a charge though I'd tip $20 for their time...

Ok,so this is a brand new system and has done this from the get go. Unplug all the inputs so you just have the speakers hooked up to the receiver. Can you turn up the volume and not have the Hum/noise? Of course if you turn it way up you will have a little residual noise. Anyone that says there system has "no noise" is A) deaf or B ) A liar  :)

I must be a liar so I won't say it make sure if you have everything plugged into a different set of home sockets. I have not looked behind the cover of any of my wall sockets but make sure if your equipment has the wider spade on the plugs make sure everything uses the same polarity. Every plug has one side of the wire identified with either writing or raised ribs. I use red, writing or ribbed white for connecting + or positive and use white, no writing no ribs for - or negative. I check behind the wall plate for the wire color connected to the wider spade and also make sure the center screw is connected to the copper ground. I use the wide spade label it + to connect everything exactly the same way and I connect my turntable last with then without the ground wire. A pain but sometimes the culprit turns up first component?