Bass pre amp

The Dude

What about an RCA Y splitter on the outboard side of the pre?

I was thinking something like this going into one of the inputs.

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YPR-257-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B000068O5C/ref=sr_1_20?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1457462398&sr=1-20&keywords=rca+to+1+4

Then a bi pass switch going to a different output, which would be feed my bass amp.  Now on this note, that bass amp is a inuke 1000dsp.  If there was a way (which there might, I just need to read the manual) to have two different settings.  One that would feed the mains along with crossing over the sub, so I would have a 2.1 sound system, and the other mode cutting the mains to allow only low frequencies to the sub.  if I could do it with the sub amp, then this would eliminate the need for a  bypass switch in the pre amp.

Ok, I was thinking this could be a little simpler.  How about running the bass into an input, my guess the line stage would be the best choice.  Now running my pre to my minidsp.  Crossing over between the mains and sub anywhere around 80-120hz.  When playing bass just turn the mains amp off, leaving the sub amp on.  Shouldn't this work?  I think I might try it.

Ok, I was thinking this could be a little simpler.  How about running the bass into an input, my guess the line stage would be the best choice.  Now running my pre to my minidsp.  Crossing over between the mains and sub anywhere around 80-120hz.  When playing bass just turn the mains amp off, leaving the sub amp on.  Shouldn't this work?  I think I might try it.

I don't know how an upright bass works but with a normal bass guitar, this would sound like doo-doo. Most of what makes a good bass guitar sound is not in the sub realm. There are frequencies as high as 10 kHz. What's wrong with just running a full range signal to your entire system?

I don't know how an upright bass works but with a normal bass guitar, this would sound like doo-doo. Most of what makes a good bass guitar sound is not in the sub realm. There are frequencies as high as 10 kHz. What's wrong with just running a full range signal to your entire system?

Good point, I actually was talking to pro audio fella yesterday and the is exactly what he recommended.  So I will be going that route.

• Like 1

Not much to say here but if the output is -14db from the input that is not am amplifier its an attenuator. The same function could be accomplished with a direct box.

I could agree on that.  I will say my new idea is pretty simple and I get to utilize some of my existing gear along with killing two birds with one stone.

If you're not on a tight budget, I'd look at some of the Line 6 emulators, particularly the POD HD stuff. It's all kinds of fun. You can emulate all kinds of amps and pedals, and plug it right into a PA or even your stereo, or even use headphones. You can do it with both normal guitar and bass, they have both types of amps. I used to take a Gallien Krueger amp and Ampeg half stack like a 4x10 and play electric guitar through it on the Line 6 by emulating different amps, it was super punchy, I even used this while gigging in bar bands. This is a great alternative to having three suitcases full of pedals and half a room full of different amps. You can literally make things sound just about however you want. Great for practice too.

http://line6.com/podhd/

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

If you're not on a tight budget, I'd look at some of the Line 6 emulators, particularly the POD HD stuff. It's all kinds of fun. You can emulate all kinds of amps and pedals, and plug it right into a PA or even your stereo, or even use headphones. You can do it with both normal guitar and bass, they have both types of amps. I used to take a Gallien Krueger amp and Ampeg half stack like a 4x10 and play electric guitar through it on the Line 6 by emulating different amps, it was super punchy, I even used this while gigging in bar bands. This is a great alternative to having three suitcases full of pedals and half a room full of different amps. You can literally make things sound just about however you want. Great for practice too.

http://line6.com/podhd/

My buddy had one of those in high school. I did think about it. I will keep it in mind if this fails.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk