My 15yr Old Daughter's 1st Stereo System

Youthman

I complain every now and then that I didn't have a family that set me up with really cool stuff when I was younger - and that's only really half true. The RF-3 II's that I still have were purchased for me new when I was 12...so I should stop complaining. I will say though, my setup never looked that clean - and still doesn't. I think that's what I envy more. :lol:

• Like 1

• Moderators
The RF-3 II's that I still have were purchased for me new when I was 12.

You were doing way better than me when I was 12.

Haha Dtel, you said the exact same thing 3 years ago when my (at the time) 14yr old son received his RF7's

I remember because it's true, the truth never changes. :D  But it's a good thing, quality sounding music makes you want to listen and listening to "most" music is a good thing.

• Moderators
Nice, great to see kids who are interested in having a system. Now you just need to decide which remote to give her an MX-890, MX-880 or Harmony One.

Ha!  I don't think so.  I could see my son using a Universal Remote someday down the road when he has his own place but definitely not my girls.  They just wouldn't appreciate it like he would.

• Moderators

Yeah, there have been several times I have purchased a "Lot" because I was interested in a piece or two but because I was buying all of it, I was able to get a really good deal.  Sell what I don't want and often times have been able to keep what I wanted out of the lot for free.

My wife loves the look of our Klipschorns.

I started at 14 when my parents gave me a single JBL D130 in a Karlson front and rear loaded enclosure that my dad made me, an Arkay amplifier my mother and I wired, a Components turntable, a copy of a Gray viscous damped tone arm, and a GE cartridge.  It was an improvement over what the other kids had, and what we had in the house.  Things would never be the same.

I experienced 70mm Todd-AO six channel magnetic sound (Todd hired Ampex and JBL to provide the sound), and it was way better than what I had at home.  Things would really never be the same!

That was followed by a journey through Ortofon, SME, Thorens, Dynakit, Teak, Crown, McIntosh, Luxman and many others.  It "ended," for now, with building a combination music room/library/ home theater, with treatment, and the components listed below in my signature.

I still have the Karlson sitting (without a speaker) in the room mentioned above, for sentimental reasons.  My wife likes the look of it, too.

Edited by garyrc

I have had system in my daughter's room for years now.  She is 14 now and enjoys it totally KG-2's mains, KG 2.2 center, KG1 rears, and a KSW-50 subwoofer with an Onkyo receiver as well.  Sony Blu-Ray player, DBX DX-5 CD, Sega Dreamcast, XBox 360, and inputs for her laptop, phone and tablet (Hundreds of movies and thousands of songs are available throug the home network).  Picked it up little by little piece over the years at really good prices.

Wow, what 14yo plays Sega Dreamcast? I didn't even think they'd know what it was!

Well my daughter came home this morning and said "Thanks for the speakers Dad".  I'm learning that's about all I can expect from my teenage daughters.  LOL

Feel lucky chances are it will get worse before it gets better> girls are a joy until they hit about 14 or 15...then they rip dads hearts out..about 35 they turn into humans again I hope ;)...Boys are a PITA as soon as they can walk and talk...they they get easier as they become adults. 

You guessed it I'm pretty disgusted with my 28 year old daughter right now...

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yes, my two oldest daughters are 12 and 14.  They are definitely at that stage where they are incredibly frustrating.  My 17yr old son is extremely easy to raise.  He has a 4.5 GPA, taking honors and AP classes.  His room is ALWAYS perfectly clean (he's never had to be told to clean it)...part of that is he's OCD...he knows if I move anything in his room even a few inches.

I sure hope it doesn't take until 35 before they turn into humans again.  haha.

• Like 1

Feel lucky chances are it will get worse before it gets better> girls are a joy until they hit about 14 or 15...then they rip dads hearts out..about 35 they turn into humans again I hope ;)..

I'm trusting you on this.  (I own an adult daughter as well)   B) 

...and whatta you mean you "hope???"  :wacko:

You were doing way better than me when I was 12.

What was available when you were 12? You could have had a set of Heresy speakers...

My first decent speakers were purchased in '72, but no one ever gave me anything when I was yourger (audio wise...). We had a stereo with a drop down/fold out turntable changer... you know, the kind with the three pound tone arm.

Michael, I am sure your daughter really does know she is blessed to be in your home. Still can be a bit rough.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

• Moderators
Michael, I am sure your daughter really does know she is blessed to be in your home. Still can be a bit rough.

Yeah, we still have a great relationship....she is just a typical teenager trying to discover her identity, test boundaries etc.  She's can be very sweet....sometimes.  LOL

• Like 1

Several months ago, my 14yr old daughter mentioned she would like to have a stereo for her bedroom.  So of course I immediately headed to Craigslist to look for some Klipsch.  I found a pair of RF-5, RC-7 and RB-5 for $600.  I figured at that price, I could keep a pair of the speakers and sell the rest.  I brought them home and asked my daughter if she would rather have the towers or bookshelf speakers in her bedroom and she said the bookshelf (I would have picked the RF-5's but hey....it's her room). 

I didn't have a need for the RF-5 or RC-7 so I ended up selling them and ended up with the RB-5 for free. 

A few weeks later, I found an Onkyo TX-SR602 for $30 and then several weeks after that, I found a small entertainment center for $20.  I figured it would make a nice birthday gift for her so I stored the entertainment center at the church and the speakers and receiver in the HT.  Not a bad first system for $50.

So tomorrow is her 15th birthday and she's spending the night at a friend's so I brought home the entertainment center and hooked up her first system.  I think she is going to be thoroughly impressed.  I couldn't believe how terrible her TV sound was.  I mean really awful.  I think she will be pleasantly surprised.  :D

klipsch-rb-5-bedroom-2.jpg

HENCE, the creation, formation, appreciation and (possibly, hopefully) emulation of this forum's addiction!!!  

that is so awesome. you did great!!

as for the heartfelt thank you -- you will get that when you hear "wishing you were here" (pink floyd) coming out of that room!!

daughters are our life givers.  they have to make mistakes in order to learn and grow.  granted the daughter mistakes do seem to hurt more, in the end they are that much sweeter when everything evens out.  keep breathing fellas...  that's all you can do... and pray.....  a lot....

ya know....i keep telling MKP i want a system for MY room...  :wacko2:

This may crap or  lock the thread, but Youthman Im just asking If  AWANA means anything to you.

I was involved as a leader for a few years,  Lars

That should absolutely not crap the thread...internet forum are about sharing...Share away I got your back...

• Like 2