Anyone used Scott 399 receiver with La Scala/Klipschorn?

Welborne

They are awesome in that vintage tube kind of way. That is If you don't mind mono FM which is actually pretty darn good with today lousy FM signals. Basically a 399 is a very early model 299B integrated amplifier coupled with the really good 330D AM/FM mono tuner. I've rebuilt about 100 of them over the years. another great tidbit is the very large power supply transformer has separate rectifiers and windings for the AM/FM tuner and amplifier sections so no trade off for the added tuner features! 

Edited by NOSValves
  • Like 1

If your looking at that one on EBay for $450 right now that is tubeless that is not all that good deal but also not horrible. It will cost nearly $300 to tube it up and than about the same as purchase price to have it properly professional restored unless you are handy with that type of stuff. 

• Like 1

Thanks! Really quick!

How is the treble performance when compared to say Eico HF81? For most part of my journey I have always used modern single ended triode ampmifier such as a 300B/6c33c, and my only exposure to anything "vintage" was an Eico HF81 I borrowed from a friend.

Thanks! Really quick!

How is the treble performance when compared to say Eico HF81? For most part of my journey I have always used modern single ended triode ampmifier such as a 300B/6c33c, and my only exposure to anything "vintage" was an Eico HF81 I borrowed from a friend.

Well the treble is just wonderful. I've rebuilt a bunch of HF-81 in my day and they are great for what they are they present a very laid back relaxed tone that is very alluring.. but as a point of reference the HF-81 was a very entry level piece of gear offered in kit form or factory built. It retailed for $59 in kit form and something like $79 assembled. The 399 was always factory built and cost you guessed it $399... 

In the 60's the EICO had about the worst reputation in audio and test equipment. Today many of the products have a big following. In my opinion and to my ears the Scott line trounces the HF-81 in both build quality and sound quality. I like my sound more controlled and true too source just so you have a point of reference.   

Hope this helps

Edited by NOSValves

Thanks! Really quick!

By the way who was your friend? I might know him.

I am a customer of Craig / NOS Valves.  He’s restored a number of tube amps for me, including a Scott 399.  I love it. 

I have no experience with La Scala or Klipschorn.   My 399 drives Klipsch Palladium P-37F.   I also have a Scott 222C driving Klipsch RF-7.   And I have a 299B that Craig restored.  These 7189 based Scott amps all have very good sound quality. 

And, IMO an immaculate 399 in a nice wood case is a beautiful looking receiver – particularly at night with the round dials glowing.  

Edited by robert_kc
  • Like 1

I too am a customer of Craig and liked his rebuild on my 299C that I also had him do a 299D (for my son) also a 272 and 296. they drive a modified Heresy (2 way with a larger horn for the mids and highs) and 2 sets of Cornscala's.  I just finished listening to Leo Stokowski's Debussy CD (recorded in 1957)  and it sounds incredible - (add 9 or 10 more superlatives).

• Like 1

I too am a customer of Craig and liked his rebuild on my 299C that I also had him do a 299D (for my son) also a 272 and 296. they drive a modified Heresy (2 way with a larger horn for the mids and highs) and 2 sets of Cornscala's.  I just finished listening to Leo Stokowski's Debussy CD (recorded in 1957)  and it sounds incredible - (add 9 or 10 more superlatives).

I also have a Scott 272 and 296 restored by Craig.  In addition to the Scott 399, 222C and 299B listed above, I also have a Scott 299C, LK150, and 210F.  (Plus various McIntosh, Fisher, Altec, and Pilot amps.   And an Inspire SET amp.)  Of course each has a different sound compared with the 7189 amps.

I also listen to classical music and opera.   IME a specific tube amp complements a particular recording. 

• Like 1