Klipsch Reference vs. Klipsch Legend Center Channel Challenge

japosey

So, today I was in the garage and was contemplating replacing my Martin Logan system in the living room with a Klipsch system. I love my Heritage setup in my media room and have wanted to replicate it in the living room. The Martin Logan Motion system I currently have is a really good sounding system however it doesn't have that midrange sensitivity that I've grown to love with my Fortes. The folded ribbon tweeter is really nice. It provides an airy depth in a quiet room. My living room is anything but quiet with a wife and 2 kids. What I've found ,is that I really have to turn the volume up for them to sound great and engaging. They aren't near as sensitive as Klipsch speakers are. With that said, I planned to put together a Reference setup with speakers from 5-10 years ago. I had purchased a center and then a pair of surrounds. Then I ran across a KLF-C7 on CL yesterday. So, that brings me to today. I hooked up the RC-62 and the KLF-C7 to a receiver and placed them side by side in mono. I would turn the balance all the way to the right to listen to the RC-62 and then all the way left to the C7. I listened to the two speakers for probably an hour going back and forth. Here is what I noticed:

First, I would say surprised at how similar they sounded overall. The Reference series speaker seem to extend higher and the tweeter was definitely crisper due to the titanium. Additionally, it had greater midbass punch due to it being a ported design. The C7's midrange really stood out to me and the speaker seemed to have a smoother overall presentation. I finally choose the the KLF over the Reference speaker due to the midrange clarity. The Reference speaker's excitement tended to overpower it's midrange. Whereas the C7 produced the singer upfront and center, the RS-62 really pulled the band and instruments to the forefront.

Listening to both, you could tell even though they were different they both were designed with Klipsch's principals in mind.

• Like 2

Nice review.

I am surprised by your results but encouraged at the same time.  I expected you to say that the KLF-C7 just "crushed" the RC-62 since that is an often used word to describe one speaker over another.  It is good to know that Klipsch engineers can build a less expensive design center speaker that is not too inferior to one of it's more acclaimed models.

Bill

For a better test, STACK the two center speakers.

agreed. And they need to be perfectly level matched to REALLY judge. Otherwise a slightly higher spl from one can overcome your emotions and favor. I remember once thinking some rf-62's sounding better than my rf-63's I once had, but once my buddy said they couldn't be level matched, I checked and he was right. Level matched, played the same thing again, boom 63's sounded better.
  • Like 1

Great news I picked up 2 CF7s at a great price a couple of weeks ago... This is one huge center! 

You should try them in stereo just for the fun of it.

Seems this is the only Klipsch non heritage center that has 8 inch drivers!

Actually the RC-7 has 8" drivers.

Bill

Edited by willland

So, today I was in the garage and was contemplating replacing my Martin Logan system in the living room with a Klipsch system. I love my Heritage setup in my media room and have wanted to replicate it in the living room. The Martin Logan Motion system I currently have is a really good sounding system however it doesn't have that midrange sensitivity that I've grown to love with my Fortes. The folded ribbon tweeter is really nice. It provides an airy depth in a quiet room. My living room is anything but quiet with a wife and 2 kids. What I've found ,is that I really have to turn the volume up for them to sound great and engaging. They aren't near as sensitive as Klipsch speakers are. With that said, I planned to put together a Reference setup with speakers from 5-10 years ago. I had purchased a center and then a pair of surrounds. Then I ran across a KLF-C7 on CL yesterday. So, that brings me to today. I hooked up the RC-62 and the KLF-C7 to a receiver and placed them side by side in mono. I would turn the balance all the way to the right to listen to the RC-62 and then all the way left to the C7. I listened to the two speakers for probably an hour going back and forth. Here is what I noticed:

First, I would say surprised at how similar they sounded overall. The Reference series speaker seem to extend higher and the tweeter was definitely crisper due to the titanium. Additionally, it had greater midbass punch due to it being a ported design. The C7's midrange really stood out to me and the speaker seemed to have a smoother overall presentation. I finally choose the the KLF over the Reference speaker due to the midrange clarity. The Reference speaker's excitement tended to overpower it's midrange. Whereas the C7 produced the singer upfront and center, the RS-62 really pulled the band and instruments to the forefront.

Listening to both, you could tell even though they were different they both were designed with Klipsch's principals in mind.

Well, out with the Reference system and time to hit CL to complete a Legend series. :D

Well, out with the Reference system and time to hit CL to complete a Legend series. :D

NOOO!  Me First....take a number... wait in line!    There are not many to go around!  I will be seeing a pair of KLF-20s tomorrow afternoon...hopefully the guy will sell..  have cash and wagon!

• Like 1

NOOO!  Me First....take a number... wait in line!    There are not many to go around!  I will be seeing a pair of KLF-20s tomorrow afternoon...hopefully the guy will sell..  have cash and wagon!

OK Got my KLF-20s....with Crites Ti tweeter diaphragms on the side.   You may go hunting now! Several KLF-30s on CL new England!