whats up with my Klipschorns?

2Bmusic

I bought these used. So I have some questions.  

First... the back is closed in, but it looks like factory. These are supposed to 10 to 20 years old or older.

I was told that Klipsch did not  start closing in the back until recently.  Whats gives?   Could they have been upgraded at the factory? Does the factory do this?

Second... this is a picture of one of the cross-overs.  Is this a good one? I remember reading that some cross overs are not as good as others. 

The person I bought these from that the previous owned had them brought to current specs internally.

This was done around  the early 2000's. 

*** 3 pics of crossover ***

http://s35.photobucket.com/user/Racegun/KHORNS%20CROSSOVERS/story

the x-overs look rather nice to me, but looks don't aways mean that much.  The caps look to of the modern type.

I very much appreciate any and all knowledge you could send my way.

FYI, they sound very very good  ( even on my yamaha H.T. advantage 1030 125 wpc)

and much better than my highly modified LaScalas low freq. sound reproduction. 

Edited by 2Bmusic

had to be a DIY project if they are as old as you say. can be a good thing BUT the biggest problem would be if they are not cutout at the bottom to accept baseboards if you put them in the corners

the original tailboard is cutout for this reason

can you post pictures

anythings possible from the great guys and gals from Hope

Edited by Budman

That looks like an AK-4 or AK-5 setup of a modern day K network.    The boards they are on are pretty evident that its a manued network.   Someone likely spent a lot of money updating your K's, or in fact, your K's are a lot newer than you thought.   If they are enclosed as well, you may have a set of anniversary editions.

• Like 1

I want to see ALOT of pictures!

Pictures of the cabs, pictures of the enclosed backs, pictures of the data sheets!

there are a few companies that have made more expensive clones of Klipschorns.

Are you positive they were built in Hope?

pictures of the badges and of the serial numbers as well.

there is a mystery to be solved here!

How did you like your visit with Kev?

Rog

Hi Rog,

I will get the pics on here over the next few days.  My visit with Kevin was beyond awesome. I have made great friends for a life time in both you and him.

SPEAKERS....

I was told that the badges are less than a year old. He did not tell me that when I bought the speakers.

I have no way to know where they were built at this time. They look factory made ( looking in the bass speaker slot/opening).  Yet to find and S/n's anywhere. Will continue to look. Brad, the guy I bought them from said the person he bought them from did not know much about them nor about the previous owner...who was the one that supposedly had them upgraded. They are Piano Black. BUT .... BUT the paint is not smooth and it does not look to be a factory finish.  You can not see these defects in pics with out taking a special effort. I will try to catch the MANY imperfections.   Of course I hope they are the real deal.  OTOH, they sound very good.

In fact, after attending a YANNI concert, two hours later I was playing the same music on the Khorns. It was close, real close.  In some ways better.  This is while driving the Khorns with a Yamaha Advantage 1030.

I am in the process to get a Nelson Pass Amp.   Looking at the F6, F7 ( in a few weeks) or even the mighty XA30.8. 

• Like 1

Hi Rog,

I will get the pics on here over the next few days.  My visit with Kevin was beyond awesome. I have made great friends for a life time in both you and him.

SPEAKERS....

I was told that the badges are less than a year old. He did not tell me that when I bought the speakers.

I have no way to know where they were built at this time. They look factory made ( looking in the bass speaker slot/opening).  Yet to find and S/n's anywhere. Will continue to look. Brad, the guy I bought them from said the person he bought them from did not know much about them nor about the previous owner...who was the one that supposedly had them upgraded. They are Piano Black. BUT .... BUT the paint is not smooth and it does not look to be a factory finish.  You can not see these defects in pics with out taking a special effort. I will try to catch the MANY imperfections.   Of course I hope they are the real deal.  OTOH, they sound very good.

In fact, after attending a YANNI concert, two hours later I was playing the same music on the Khorns. It was close, real close.  In some ways better.  This is while driving the Khorns with a Yamaha Advantage 1030.

I am in the process to get a Nelson Pass Amp.   Looking at the F6, F7 ( in a few weeks) or even the mighty XA30.8. 

Kev is one of my very best friends on the Planet, only one closer!

He is just one super guy!

How many guys do you know that would go lay down their own money on 30 KP-600 cabs for you until you could pay them back?

My best friend and I have been buddies since High School. He took me fishing in South Padre' Island for 15 days and paid air fare, rooms, fishing, meals, and everything because he wanted me along and can afford it. He loaned me $18,000 once interest free, and he has a 4 bedroom cabin in the smokies, a beach front property on Daytona Beach, and a time share in Disney World that I can use any time I want to for free! :)

Both are super people and I am very blessed to have them in my life :)

Rog

In fact, after attending a YANNI concert, two hours later I was playing the same music on the Khorns. It was close, real close. In some ways better.

Pause button, comfy seat, better drinks, no driving/parking, etc.  :happy:

If you like YANNI, try giving Rahul Sharma & Kenny G's - Dance of the Elephant God a whirl on your K-Horns. :emotion-22:

Edited by Quiet_Hollow
  • Like 1

The previous user apparently purchased the AK-4 upgrade kit from Klipsch. The kit came with new AK-4 crossovers (attached to the inside of the bass bin doors), K-55-X midrange drivers, and K-77-F tweeters. Sealing the rear (as well as cosmetic changes), was probably an attempt to copy the 60th Anniversay Edition. As long as you back them into corners and keep them within 12" of the walls, there will be no low frequency loss.

The pictures from eBay are 60th Anniversary networks which used rebranded Bennic metalized polypropylenes. The stock AK-4 networks use Mylars.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What about after market Cross overs and Mid range horns?   Or should I leave them stock?

You have real nice cross overs already.

Some guys like to modify their speakers, I for one like my Klipsch all Klipsch and you will loose money on your investment on a hot rod speaker just like a hot rod car!

The one exception is I would change out the K-69 on Jubilees for the TAD driver if money were no object, but that is just me :)

Roger

• Like 1