Interesting Kitchen Knives

Mighty Favog

Artsy, but I prefer the magnabar and good old work horse kitchen knives.

I'm using a wooden block now, only because I have grand kids around a lot, otherwise a magnabar as well.

Have been cooking a long, long time now, and over time the best knives I've used for ruggedness and keeping their edge have been the Wusthof Classics.  Another brand is a German knife, Friedr. Dick.  Not quite to the Wusthof standard for me, but quite good, and a bit less expensive.

• Like 1

I'm using a wooden block now, only because I have grand kids around a lot, otherwise a magnabar as well.

Have been cooking a long, long time now, and over time the best knives I've used for ruggedness and keeping their edge have been the Wusthof Classics.  Another brand is a German knife, Friedr. Dick.  Not quite to the Wusthof standard for me, but quite good, and a bit less expensive.

Wusthof rocks.  Some people don't appreciate it though.  I bought both my mother and mother-in-law matching Wusthof chef's knives thinking I was doing something special.  Nether one of them use it.  That was 10 years ago and I don't think my mother in law even took hers out of the package, and my mom threw hers in the back of a drawer and never sharpened it once.  They both use these cheesy and cheap Wal-Mart knives, don't own any type of sharpener.  

Another brand is a German knife, 

Ever notice that quality tools in just about any field are German made many times?

Those Germans are really really good at marketing. :)  For example, where would you go to buy a nice rifle scope?  I mean, German glass is the best, no?  Lots of people are shocked to the point of disbelief to figure out that many of the best scopes in the world have Japanese glass.  

That being said, the only small engine I'll own is a Stihl who is German.  

Oh wait, those are being built in Virginia now?  Oh man, just turn my world upside down why don't you.   :)

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

How do the F Dick knives compare to Henkels four star and pro s?  I want to get my dad a nice chefs knife and noticed the pricing is similar.  We love our Wustof's too.

I own a number of good knives by many manufacturers.  None of them are worth a whit unless you know how to keep them sharp and safe.  I use a diamond brick, a 3000 and 7000 whetstone and finish with a razor strop with polishing paste.  They are one and all razor sharp all the time.  I actually warn guests that they are unforgiving slicing tools meriting the greatest of caution.  Kids are barred from the knife drawer.  When they get used they are hand cleaned, dried and steeled and put safely away.  I have a linear drawer rack for the knives.

• Like 1

Love our Wustoff Classics too. Keep them in a wood block on top of the counter and have to remind the Mrs. every time I've sharpened them. :)

It's a treat to watch my Dad sharpen a kitchen knife. Like watching one of those Beni-Hanna chefs giving the floor show. He had a second job as a butcher for Kroger's when we were kids.

Some years ago, my brother-in-law gave me a small Kukri for a Christmas present. He's originally from Nepal after all.

Edited by Mighty Favog
  • Like 1