Interesting Kitchen Knives

Mighty Favog

Japanese food culture:  Eat anything possibly edible, charge exorbitant price for endangered species.  Feed mercury laden Dolphin meat to school children, sell same meat in market calling it whale.  Eat whale if possible.

Touché...  :(

I see.  Still, I was referring in part to your "Food Culture."  It's nice to go out with friends and have a margarita with a plate of Mexican food.  It's nice to go to Chinese buffets.  That doesn't mean every time you do so, you have to pig out; however, it usually does mean that if you are trying to lose weight, "this meal isn't going to help the cause."  That's fine and all once you get to your goal and if you take on routines, such as exercise, to keep it all in balance.

There's nothing wrong with the balanced approach as one person's choice. But, my observations tell me that what really happens is more like "a little heroin for fun" and then BAM! they are off the wagon. Then, there is the problem of weaning one's self off all that overly spiced, overly flavored, overly prepared food. Compared to kale and apples and beans it becomes a rather persistent temptation. Since that food has very little nutritional utility (too much bad and too little good), there's no reason to keep doing it. 

I observe a lot of people who are obese, and I listen to what they say, and watch what they do. In general, they are giving in to temptations often enough that they can never actually make progress. My program is more like AA. You don't accept the idea of "just one drink." 

It's just a different way to go. Nothing wrong with other ways. 

You have described addictive behavior. Smoking is that way for me. I was a dedicated smoker for 30 years. I had to quit cold turkey. If I smoked even a single cigarette, I fear I would go all-in again.  Therefore, I abstain completely.  

I am not that way with food. In fact, I polished-off a half gallon of Blue Bell Coffee ice cream this past weekend... and it was gooooooooood.

I see. Still, I was referring in part to your "Food Culture." It's nice to go out with friends and have a margarita with a plate of Mexican food. It's nice to go to Chinese buffets. That doesn't mean every time you do so, you have to pig out; however, it usually does mean that if you are trying to lose weight, "this meal isn't going to help the cause." That's fine and all once you get to your goal and if you take on routines, such as exercise, to keep it all in balance.

There's nothing wrong with the balanced approach as one person's choice. But, my observations tell me that what really happens is more like "a little heroin for fun" and then BAM! they are off the wagon. Then, there is the problem of weaning one's self off all that overly spiced, overly flavored, overly prepared food. Compared to kale and apples and beans it becomes a rather persistent temptation. Since that food has very little nutritional utility (too much bad and too little good), there's no reason to keep doing it.

I observe a lot of people who are obese, and I listen to what they say, and watch what they do. In general, they are giving in to temptations often enough that they can never actually make progress. My program is more like AA. You don't accept the idea of "just one drink."

It's just a different way to go. Nothing wrong with other ways.

You have described addictive behavior. Smoking is that way for me. I was a dedicated smoker for 30 years. I had to quit cold turkey. If I smoked even a single cigarette, I fear I would go all-in again. Therefore, I abstain completely.

I am not that way with food. In fact, I polished-off a half gallon of Blue Bell Coffee ice cream this past weekend... and it was gooooooooood.

Addictive is a medical term. I might nor go that far. But, there is no doubt in my mind that it's hard to go from sugary, salty, fatty recipe food to bland natural food.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Edited by Jim Naseum

Mine goes way back.

are yours rounded on the ends?

Wooden storage block, 2 slots cut in the sides that you can look through and see the sticks in the block, and a peg in the block to protect your hand?

The originals would be over 30 years old, somebody in the family dropped a rod and shattered it.

the newer ones have square ends and a red plastic holder.

the newer ones actually have small imperfections in the surfaces that will knock your edge off of your blade :( 

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

Washita Mountain Whetstone Company

Case is plastic clear on top blue on bottom.  Instructions have no trademark or copyright.  Wooden holder with white whetstone on one end and angled holes for the sticks on the other, no cut outs.  Indian chief headdress logo in gold paint.  I can't remember when I got it as a gift, but it was easily before 1990.  It restores a good edge, and if the edge is too far gone  go to the whetstone first.  made in Arkansas.

• Like 1

I'm 51, and the ones my dad bought, he got when I was around 16 or so.

If they are the good ones, they are great stuff :)

Roger

That sounds about right to me.  They probably had different models and your dad got the deluxe one.  Honestly, I can't remember not having it for a long time.

Wustof Blackwood handle versions. Love the real wood handle. (LOVE the slight arch to the handle... It's flawless in my hand)

AllClad copper core pots/pans

Super old cast iron skillet with grill ridges

And a huge cast iron / ceramic coated "lasagne pan"

That's about all I use in my kitchen.

Oh.. Just picked up a real nice Walnut butcher block, some Italian company... about 30" deep by 40" wide... It's a beast. My wife can not lift it. I hate a tiny cutting board.