First DIY KHorn Upgrade Project & Priority Alignment

OldIron

I haven't posted much over the short time since I joined; however, I certainly have spent some late nights reading & learning from you all.  For that, I can only say thank you and post a little on my first DIY-type speaker project.  It might not be too exciting for you pro’s; take it for what it’s worth.  One more disclaimer: like many learning processes, the actions you take at one time, may not necessarily be what you’d do as the journey continues.   With that, I’m already look forward to my next project :)

Background

I bought some nicely built DIY KHorns right after college off Craigslist, probably 30 years ago.  At 22, I lived at home and really only used them a little bit as rear surround speakers on either side of my bed in a small bedroom at my parent’s house.  It was actually ridiculous, especially around 1987.  As I moved on with various long-term relationships, none of the girlfriends seemed to be too enthralled with the KHorns.  The builder used a grey formica.  In 87’, they seemed pretty cool.  Even today, they don’t have a scratch or nick on them.

Speakers have accumulated too quickly around the house.  I hate selling stuff e.g. “Is it what someone wants?”, “What if it break?” all that.  Nevertheless, I went ahead and posted these on Craigslist for a couple months.  One or two inquiries, no one ever came by to see them.  I probably would have let them go for any offer.  I certainly know my girlfriend would have gladly given them away to the first vehicle large enough to take them.

Build

Tweeters:

Old – EV T35A

New – Dave is building a pair of Contrac-T’s.  FaitalPro HF108’s just came in the mail today, got a deal on a brand new pair.

Mids:

Old - EV 1824M

New – Dave is building a pair of Eliptrac 400’s.  THANK YOU, DAVE !!  These will be mount up to some BMS 4596ND’s.

Woofers:

Old - EV SP12C

New - Kappa 15C’s came in last week

Crossovers:

Old – SpeakerLabs

New – Al is working on a set of ES5800’s & ES400’s.  THANKS, AL !!

Internal Wiring:

Justin, AmpsandSound, has been ridiculous to work with.  He’s putting together a set of his outstanding looms for me.  After all his coaching, I feel bad only purchasing the looms; perhaps, one of his tube amps will be in the future. :)

Cabinets:

We’ll, I’d just as soon keep them the way they are.  But, in a moment of weakness & everything the girlfriend as put up with, the cabinets were also sent out today for some veneer.

I’m sure I put a few of you to sleep by now.  If anyone still reading is at all interested in before/after pics, I’d be happy to post.  If not, you won’t hurt my feelings.  After all the late nights of reading on here & coin spent, I certainly hope these upgrades help.  If nothing else, I certainly learned a few things.

Final thought: I didn’t realize how therapeutic writing this post would be, until I just went back to re-read it.  I bought my Cornwalls new in ’83 and still have them.  I’m a mess !!  It seems I’ve been longer committed to speakers than to girlfriends, certainly not something to be proud of.

• Like 1

Awesome story, glad you were able to hold on to them.  Sorry you had to go through so many girlfriends, but I am sure once you hear your new upgrades it will all be worth it.  And welcome, stick around and continue to enjoy.

I am also interested in your thoughts on those Faital drivers on the conical-t tweeters.  I have those same tweeters in my drifts and have all ways thought about upgrading.

Edited by duder1982

Great story and please post more often!

We can't wait  to see what they look like once done and back in the house. Changing from formica to a veneer might make them way more acceptable to the GF. ;) And the parts upgrades will be a huge help after all the years.

Bruce