12AX7 By Telefunken

jcmusic

Are there any 12ax7's that sound better and are dead quiet, vs the tele's? I have been using tele's in my phono stage for years and it might be time to try some other top rated brands.

I'd give the Mullard 10M series ECC83 a try, these are a fantastic alternative to either the Telefunken or Siemens ECC803S. They seem to have a bit more "Cream" throughout the mids and a little less "Chime" on top.

TS Matt.

• Like 1

I am a fan of Mullards from the 60s and 70s. I find them smoother than the teles. If I recall the ones to try are from the Blackburn factory and are the 163 series. I used to know how to tell via the etching on the tube but I cant recall exactly what to look for.

Others I have liked are the Amperex from the Heerlen factory in Holland. The Bugle Boys and others from the same era have a following!

Josh

Telefunken to me was like "creamed corn." Nice in a comforting way, but too forgiving. They sounded absolutely fabulous in the brown goods of the day. For HiFi and HiRes, I would rather have an Amperex Bugle Boy. No, they don't mask off the noise that is in both tubes, but neither do they mask off the high end, which on the Bugler is wickedly extended and very smooth. 

Can you still get them? I have no idea. I know there are a shitload of counterfeits out there.  

Brent Jesse has some nice Bugle Boys for $499 a pair.

New Old Stock, made in Holland, in original box. Among the rarest of the BugleBoy type tubes made in Holland. These are the early Holland types with the long narrow plates, but these have the very scarce "tiny" Bugle Boy logo on the glass, the the very first production of the large halo getter. These may have been early test samples of the large halo getter, as the D-getter with the foil strip continued in general use until 1961. These are both Heerlen, Holland dated September, 1958. I have never seen other long plate Amperex 12AX7 with the halo getter, so it seems these tubes have nearly vanished from circulation, and a matched pair of these are usually not available anywhere in the world. The sweet sounding essence of the Bugle Boy type, these NOS gems have closely matched triodes internally and good labels.

You two need to take your issues to PM and get out of this thread!!!

What is that crazy looking thing in your avatar?  Is that some sort of cookie cutting machine or something?  TSA Matt has been pushing me to start spinning vinyl.  If I had a "cookie cutter" like that, I just might :P

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

You two need to take your issues to PM and get out of this thread!!!

What is that crazy looking thing in your avatar?  Is that some sort of cookie cutting machine or something?  TSA Matt has been pushing me to start spinning vinyl.  If I had a "cookie cutter" like that, I just might :P

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Here is a great place to start... :)

https://store.uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-plus-turntable

TS Matt.

• Like 1

Mullard is my go to in modern gear, in most vintage I like Telefunkens. Don't shun the consumer grade vintage mullard they sound darn good. The biggest advantage to the 10M is it's tough as nails so it lasts a longtime, so do consumer grade telefunkens. Be careful paying too much for used consumer grade Mullards.

Edited by NOSValves