Did I just blow my Tweeters on my KG4's?

TheSeanis

Another option may be damaged crossovers. Try hooking your speakers up to your other amp and see if it sounds right. If not it is something other than your tweeters that went bad in the speakers themselves. Totally sucks...

What do you think, teaman? Should I order the repair kit from Crites or just piece it together myself?

I'd stay away from any "vintage" electronics until you can figure out what is going on...

Have you checked to make sure all the woofers are okay? Do they move back and forth freely with no issues and no voice coil rubs? Have you checked them with a multimeter? Did you double check the Tweeters before you reinstalled them?

If it was just the tweeter diaphragms, then replacing them with new ones would make an obvious difference. It's possible, if the amp has electrical issues, that you could have damaged the crossovers and/or woofers.

And if you're going to check/replace the crossovers, then I'd let Crites do the work. That way you'll know it's correct.

• Like 1

I'd stay away from any "vintage" electronics until you can figure out what is going on...

Have you checked to make sure all the woofers are okay? Do they move back and forth freely with no issues and no voice coil rubs? Have you checked them with a multimeter? Did you double check the Tweeters before you reinstalled them?

If it was just the tweeter diaphragms, then replacing them with new ones would make an obvious difference. It's possible, if the amp has electrical issues, that you could have damaged the crossovers and/or woofers.

And if you're going to check/replace the crossovers, then I'd let Crites do the work. That way you'll know it's correct.

The only amp I own that is working is the old Pioneer amp.. So, it has to be the mule. It's all good. I don't plan on cranking it up, just want to make sure the tweeters ARE the issue. The woofers seem okay, in my opinion, but then again I haven't hooked them up into anything since to test them so it's hard to be sure. I did look at the old tweeters and I was pretty surprised to see they were in pretty good shape. I think the coils took some heat, but otherwise, they were in OK shape. Not great, but definitely not bad, atleast to my eyes. I called Bob this morning to get a quote but I think he turns the phone off during the weekends so that might have to wait until Monday. I'm not too worried about the wiring as there's only a couple of capacitors back there and frankly it seems a little hard to mess up. I could be wrong, and in that case feel free to call me a moron :)

Just for the record, some tweeters in very efficient speakers will take maximum pulses of 4 watts (2 watts "power handling"), while they may take 100 watts or more in the bass.  With a speaker the efficiency of a Khorn, Belle or La Scala, a pulse to the tweeter of 4 watts would not be likely to happen with orchestral music or singing, because the high treble energy is much, much lower than the midrange or the bass.  But in some Rock, Metal or electronic music, that can happen. 

The KG4 is about 10 dB less efficient, but still about 4 dB above average.

A "pop" that reaches into the high treble could take out a tweeter.  So could a test signal.  Since you mentioned vintage gear, do you have a tape deck?  Fast forward can take out a tweeter because any given frequency at normal speed is multiplied many, many times over on some fast forwards.

Get rid of any turn-on or shut-off pop before doing anything else. 

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1