need help with rear fill for my 7.1 atmos setup..

toomnymods

Hello,

I'm not really sure what would work best for my type of situation for my setup. So I'll list what I have so far and hopefully you can help me with my 7.1 Dolby Atmos needs :) I'm still wanting to upgrade my rear fill for my living room. My room isn't totally square which makes putting in a sound system a little hard.

Equipment:

Yamaha RX-A3050 9.2 channel receiver

2 - Klipsch RP-280 FA     Left and Right front channels  and Left and Right Height channels 

1 - Klipsch RP-450CA      Center channel

1 - Klipsch R-112SW Subwoofer

this is all I have at the moment and I'm not sure what I should get as far as rear fill or rear surround channels. Currently atm I have some small black bose small cubes hanging on the wall for rear fill, but would love to do a totally Klipsch system..

Would a pair of these work on opposite sides of the room? where should I place them? and at what height?

http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-premiere-surround-sound-speakers#rp-250s

Thanks guys..

Attached is a pic of my living room and my arrangement of the equipment I already have.

post-62474-0-65420000-1456560348_thumb.p

Edited by toomnymods

Welcome to the forum!

Interesting and difficult room configuration. I'm not to hip on having surrounds in front of the listeners like your left surround is. In my opinion, the RP240S's would work well and they should be "centered" on the walls over the sofas.  If you don't have walls there, you might consider ceiling speakers. Do you have a couple pictures you can share?

Toomnymods,

Welcome to the forum.

You mention a Sony AVR but I think you really mean a Yamaha RX-A3050?

As far as your surround speakers, get the "matching" models in the RP line.

I would only do a 6.1 configuration and place the surrounds like in diagram.

Bill

post-24680-0-21020000-1456574802_thumb.p

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

Interesting and difficult room configuration. I'm not to hip on having surrounds in front of the listeners like your left surround is. In my opinion, the RP240S's would work well and they should be "centered" on the walls over the sofas.  If you don't have walls there, you might consider ceiling speakers. Do you have a couple pictures you can share?

I do have a wall behind the sofa on the right but the sofa at the 6 o clock position has no wall only a ceiling..  behind that has my dining area and kitchen table.

Toomnymods,

Welcome to the forum.

You mention a Sony AVR but I think you really mean a Yamaha RX-A3050?

As far as your surround speakers, get the "matching" models in the RP line.

I would only do a 6.1 configuration and place the surrounds like in diagram.

Bill

yea, I have a Yamaha receiver, lol dunno how I got that mixed up, sony is junk.. haha been there and done that route before..

would the RP-250s blast the listener pretty bad since the distance would be less than 2-3 feet? the one behind the sofa at ear level I guess would have to be placed on a stand of some sort?? I don't have a wall their it is a open area that has only a 4' wall behind where my sub is sitting. Behind my sofa at the 6 o clock position in the drawing is completely open.

Why would I only do a 6.1 system willand? my RP-280FA's are 4 channels by themselves.. So that'd give me 7.1 or 8.1 if your suggesting a 3rd rear fill between both the sofas in the center??

Edited by toomnymods

He meant a 6.1 as in two surrounds and a surround center instead of surround backs like a 7.1. Your room just isn't even optimal for any surrounds except in ceiling in my opinion.

im not opposed to putting speakers in the ceiling even if they have to be in the dining / kitchen area and aim them forward toward the 6 o clock position sofa.. this is the main place we watch tv from..

He meant a 6.1 as in two surrounds and a surround center instead of surround backs like a 7.1. Your room just isn't even optimal for any surrounds except in ceiling in my opinion.

im not opposed to putting speakers in the ceiling even if they have to be in the dining / kitchen area and aim them forward toward the 6 o clock position sofa.. this is the main place we watch tv from..

Surrounds in the ceiling will sound very odd, surrounds are supposed to be at or just above ear hieght. If your goind with Atmos they really can't be in the ceiling and work anyway, you need a certian ditance between your ear level speakers and hieght speakers to work properly.

Only recently with atmos coming out are surrounds supposed to be at that level. Is it optimal? No but with the limited placement he has and if it's a really nice house I personally wouldn't be putting a surround on a stand out in the middle of the room.

Correct but he's asking about setting up ATMOS so choices are limited if you want to make it work. If you don't have the seperation it's just not going to worth the $$ spent. Mine as well setup a well layed out 5.1 or 6.1 rather than worry about adding more speakers that are not going to give you any better experience. 

Only recently with atmos coming out are surrounds supposed to be at that level. Is it optimal? No but with the limited placement he has and if it's a really nice house I personally wouldn't be putting a surround on a stand out in the middle of the room.

Correct but he's asking about setting up ATMOS so choices are limited if you want to make it work. If you don't have the seperation it's just not going to worth the $$ spent. Mine as well setup a well layed out 5.1 or 6.1 rather than worry about adding more speakers that are not going to give you any better experience.

well to me id rather have a proper 5.1 before a improper 7.1 and I definitely would rather have a well setup 5.1 or 7.1 before a subpar atmos setup. Just me. I see he wants atmos since he got the atmos towers from Klipsch but me personally I'd skip it cause like I said, 225k house I ain't laying speakers out in the middle of the room. My opinion of course.

well to me id rather have a proper 5.1 before a improper 7.1 and I definitely would rather have a well setup 5.1 or 7.1 before a subpar atmos setup. Just me. I see he wants atmos since he got the atmos towers from Klipsch but me personally I'd skip it cause like I said, 225k house I ain't laying speakers out in the middle of the room. My opinion of course.

Then we agree, I'm just answering what the OP asked.

Ans sorry you keep bringing up the house price of $225K, is that a lot for the US? I misunderstood, even with the crazy exchange rate that kind of money wouldn't even get you into a small starter house here.

Edited by ClintonH
  • Like 1

Then we agree, I'm just answering what the OP asked.

Ans sorry you keep bringing up the house price of $225K, is that a lot for the US? I misunderstood, even with the crazy exchange rate that kind of money wouldn't even get you into a small starter house here.

It depends on the place. They have a saying here about real estate; "location, location, location". $225,000 might buy the biggest house in a city, and it might be a down payment for a small apartment on a low floor in another. 

Regardless of the price of a home, it is a home and very personal. For men, it's the place you hang your hat at the end of the day. For women, it is the nest they build. Either way, there are always compromises, especially when it comes to something like a home theater or TV room. There should be full bilateral agreement for one for there to be peace in the home. For us men, we call it WAF. I have no clue what women call it, but I have heard PITA before.  :)

• Like 1

Didn't know the cost of a house would be such a big issue, lol yes to most middle class americans $225,000 is probably a lot of money to spend on a home, but to most of you guys on here who drop 20-30k on home audio yea it's probably nothing. I only make 31 bucks a hr and work hard for what I have and it's what I can afford. The county taxes here are outrageous averaging around 6k a year alone in the South Arlington area in Texas.

Now back to the important stuff, lol here are some shots of the living room, even with the blinds open the lighting is horrible in my home.. Homebuilders are so cheap these days not wanting to install nothing but maybe one light in each room its ridiculous. Still don't have the RP-450Ca as it was just purchased I just haven't built anything for it to sit onto. My mantle is very narrow only 8.5" back to front and the 450ca is like 14.5" I really think it would look a little tacky hanging off the mantle with 6" dangling (supported by wood of course underneath) would it sound alright if I built a stand for it to sit inside my fireplace? I never use it and can elevate it high as possible within that area.. Whats your guys opinions?

hope this helps..

LOL please excuse my laziness with not removing the stupid bose cubes.. I whether look at them than holes in the drywall, my friend is supposed to comeover and help me fix all the holes once I get all my speakers. So figured just leave them all hanging till then.

post-62474-0-66260000-1456610838_thumb.j

post-62474-0-51220000-1456610854_thumb.j

post-62474-0-93140000-1456610865_thumb.j

Edited by toomnymods

heres the shot of front facing rear.. plenty of room to put stuff into the ceiling if you guys think that is the best best for audio quality.. really hate to go backwards.. and tearing down walls or selling the house isn't a option, lol

post-62474-0-32340000-1456617953_thumb.j

Edited by toomnymods

Didn't know the cost of a house would be such a big issue, lol yes to most middle class americans $225,000 is probably a lot of money to spend on a home, but to most of you guys on here who drop 20-30k on home audio yea it's probably nothing. I only make 31 bucks a hr and work hard for what I have and it's what I can afford. The county taxes here are outrageous averaging around 6k a year alone in the South Arlington area in Texas.

Wasn't a issue just a question, I'm not in the US so have no idea what $225K buyes, here it would buy you a decent condo or town house even with the exchange.

Back to your question I would still say Willland gave you the best answer in post #3. With your layout it's going to  be your best bet.

Willand was very vague. I didnt understand excatly what he was telling me to do? Was he wanting me to add three rear fill speakers? And totally disconnect my atmos from my front speakers??

What about putting the RP-250's inside the dining area its rather large about 10x15 or so and would be directly behind the listener during watching tv..

Edited by toomnymods