Klipsch Epic CF-3 without serial numbers?

Lost240

Hi, 

I am looking at purchasing a set of CF-3s but there are no serial numbers on the back. The inspected by stickers are there but there is no model or serial number on them where it should be above the signatures. Has anyone seen this before? It seems very odd to me. 

Thanks!

May have simply come off.  I'm not sure if these have serial numbers on the top engraved into the wood like the Heritage line.  Plus I'm not at home to look at the top back of mine, either.  Only real way is to look at the ports and measure depth, look at internal wiring to see if it's clear cable or colored wire, and if the horns are more black or gray in color.  About the only ways to tell differences in versions 1, 2, & 3.  And sometimes even those can vary.

I actually have a set and the serial numbers are right above the signatures. On the set I am looking at it appears that they were never there. It is strange. These have the 2" ports. So already I know they are series 2 or 3. I don't know what the wiring is though. 

Ahhh B stock. Now that makes sense. I think I am going to pass on these. @wvu80 Thank you for the picture. Now I know there is no way the serial could have rubbed off of the sticker. 

Something to consider:

Usually the B stock speakers are labeled that way because of some kind of cosmetic problem, maybe a mismatch of color, but the sound is within specs.  When you are buying brand new $2200 speakers in 1995, you're darned right they better not have any cosmetic issues.  But after 20 years they are going to have cosmetic issues, so in 2016 that is pretty much a non-issue.

Sight unseen, I value the CF-3's at $600 in excellent shape, local pickup.  Deduct $100 if NOT a version 1 (we can help you identify it if you want to pursue them).  For B stock, take off another $100.

If you can get these for $400 or less, you will have a pretty good sounding pair of speakers at a bargain price.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Agree with Dave upstream. B stock isn't a death blow...Klipsch isn't going to sell it if it doesn't sound to spec, but there's usually a small cosmetic issue leading to the B designation. I'd go check em out and at least give them a listen.

Edited by kapsnb01
  • Like 1

I think that B stock is a load a BS. Every one I have seen was beautiful. I think that B stock is a great idea for selling at a discount to ensure continuous cash flow while not negatively impacting the perceived value of your (non discounted) product in the market place. Passing on a set of CF series because they are or were B stock is not much of a plan. BS I say.

• Like 1

I also think I see some water damage in the last pics that I received on the grills and the lower portion of the speaker. That AND it being B stock is why I am going to pass. Thank you everyone for the input!

if they are a reasonable distance go look and listen for yourself, you might be passing on a good deal and these are hard to find. even if they have some damage but sound good and you can get a very good price because of the damage why not they will still sound good and you will have spare parts for cheap for later when you can find a perfect non B stock pair.

• Like 1

Did the cabinets change across the versions? If I were to find a version 3 / 2 and later a version 1, could i swap the crossovers and drivers across the cabinets?

no cabinet change aside from vent length those are easily changed if you want to all other parts (horn lens  compression drivers networks and woofers) are all interchangeable.

just so you are clear the networks all fit onto the back side of the same terminal cup the differences in networks is some parts values so not a big deal if you want to play with them.

Edited by moray james