How often do you clean your laser in your CD player / transport?

Audio Flynn

Back when DVD-A came out Technics A-10 had some very good equipment reviews. I opted for the lower cost sister product Panasonic RP-91. Kids in college....

I maybe cleaned the laser 10 years ago. No issues it keeps running well but does take a bit of time to read a disc when loading in. Since I have a new TT to listen to I was thinking this is a good time to spin vinyl and clean the digital transport.

How often do you clean your laser?

Back when DVD-A came out Technics A-10 had some very good equipment reviews. I opted for the lower cost sister product Panasonic RP-91. Kids in college....

I maybe cleaned the laser 10 years ago. No issues it keeps running well but does take a bit of time to read a disc when loading in. Since I have a new TT to listen to I was thinking this is a good time to spin vinyl and clean the digital transport.

I have a French Maid that comes in once a week to clean my laser.

• Like 2

I've only done it a few times on computer DVD players.   I took them apart, sort of a pain.

But unless they stop reading the disk I would not bother to clean.   you either get the data or you don't.

If you want to clean it the easier way is to get a cleaner CD disk.  Its a blank disk with a tiny brush that hits the laser element and knocks the dust off it.   Much faster than tearing it apart.   I've used it on DVD players that would not read a disk and it brought them back to life.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000J1QM?keywords=dvd%20cleaner%20disk&qid=1456795998&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Edited by BobK

I've only done it a few times on computer DVD players.   I took them apart, sort of a pain.

But unless they stop reading the disk I would not bother to clean.   you either get the data or you don't.

If you want to clean it the easier way is to get a cleaner CD disk.  Its a blank disk with a tiny brush that hits the laser element and knocks the dust off it.   Much faster than tearing it apart.   I've used it on DVD players that would not read a disk and it brought them back to life.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000J1QM?keywords=dvd%20cleaner%20disk&qid=1456795998&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

That's what I meant above

There was some like craftsman or DIY'er on TV years ago that explained he got up early  every Saturday to oil ALL his hinges and I think sharpen ALL his knives or something like that.

And he was serious.(for the unimformed)

Actually, I dunno.   Lars

• Like 1

Ever since I went to a sustainable lifestyle dusty wood heating the home, maintaining my precious bodily fluids and the like there are consequences.

I use an ash vacuum for the woodstove, filtered well water, and homegrown veggies while stuffing the freezer with snipe and jackalope to make it though the winter.

I have not played with my digital front end for years and I am looking for a non pharma cuetical tweak.