Low cost air fair

The Dude

I would like to go to Seattle to see a friend at the end of April.  I would be flying from Omaha to Seattle.  Does anyone have any pointers on how to achieve lower cost air fair?  I would like to see if I can get it under $300.00.  Times like this I wish I had a CC with flyer miles.

I book a lot of travel for my family.  

Try to book at least 30 days in advance

Be flexible on dates if possible, within 2-3 days each way

Check out airports around you, and around your destination

My local news just ran a story about how when to purchase tickets at the optimal time. Data proves the answer is 54 days prior to departure. That is apparently the airlines measurement period and when prices are typically the lowest. However, I have always purchased far in advance for the best fares. Perhaps I will utilize this strategy the next time I purchase tix. One thing that I have found to b extremely helpful is too be flexible with your dates if possible. Everyone has their favorite sites, we use -cheapoair . com-, if I want to travel on the 10th I will still search for flights on the 8th, 9th,11th,12th also. Sometimes they will try to push you towards those flights anyways just to fill seats, and will offer them to you at a steep discount. We flew round trip from Detroit to Miami last October for $87 per ticket total, leaving Monday- returning Friday. Had we traveled leaving Wednesday- returning Sunday as originally planned, the same flight would have been $340 per ticket. This isn't a one off occurrence, I see it frequently in my searches. Saving baggage fees is important as is not upgrading your seats last minute, also not buying in flight entertainment and food/beverage. But my biggest savings have always come from flexibility of travel.

• Like 2

Lass Fall, my wife and I got tickets for her sister to fly from LAX to Chattanooga. We ordered on a Saturday for a flight the following Saturday and back to LAX on the third Saturday. The info is in my wife's email, but it was between $200-300 for the round trip. We were shocked at the low price on such short notice.

Bruce

• Like 1

Flying within Europe on budget carriers can be stupid cheap. My daughter and a friend flew from Cologne to Copenhagen a few weekend ago for TEN Euros. Yep, about $11 US. The light back was a pricey 35 Euros. Cheaper than driving.

• Like 1

Flying within Europe on budget carriers can be stupid cheap. My daughter and a friend flew from Cologne to Copenhagen a few weekend ago for TEN Euros. Yep, about $11 US. The light back was a pricey 35 Euros. Cheaper than driving.

No doubt!

That said, I would rather take the train for considerably more (still make the journey for less than a hundred bucks) and take in sights along the way...Nothing cooler than taking the train and getting off and Street Hiking along the way. :)

Edited by Zen Traveler