Survey of listening room sizes

Chris A

Approximately 24' x 21' x 8' -- main speakers will be on long wall.  Room will be dual-use -- music and home theater.  Room is still being put together so nothing is in place yet.  Room treatments will likely follow.

2ebrifd.jpg

5ocimw.jpg

oadezn.jpg

10z5ndl.jpg

Edited by JMON
  • Like 4

Exactly.  The sample size does need to be a bit larger, however.  Perhaps more people will post their listening room dimensions here.

I've always wondered why this information hasn't been gathered and analyzed in terms of commonly used statistical measures.

Chris

• Like 1

I count 27 different listening rooms thus far.  Thanks to everyone that's participated to date. 

It's been pretty interesting: there seems like there are trends but I believe that we need many more data points. 

Perhaps our EU and other international members might also contribute.  More is better, so feel free to join in.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

• Moderators

My room is 13' W x 19' D x 10' H with DIY Acoustic Panels and DIY Bass Traps.

Behind the false wall:

• (1) horizontal acoustic panel behind the screen
  • (1) horizontal acoustic panel behind the top three doors
  • (1) bass trap mounted on a shelf and (1) vertical acoustic panel installed behind each of the side doors

In Room:

• (5) acoustic panels on the side walls
  • (1) horizontal acoustic panel on the back wall
  • (2) bass traps stacked in the back corner

Klipsch-LaScala-Screenshot.jpg

Home-Theater-Rear-Wall.jpg

room-360-5.jpg

Jlbs with 402's, 13'x21' ceiling cants from 13' to 8', 9, 2'X4'X4" tiered foam panels. New  temporary second system 22'x40' using M19's, concrete everywhere hearing lots of very uncomfortable sounds, evil sounds....

Edited by juniper

24x18x11 here with a relatively open floor plan into the kitchen (via large pass-through), main hallway, and openings to two other rooms along the back wall. ~4500 cu feet considering the the adjacent rooms.

Couch (main listening position) is 6 feet from the back wall.

L & R are asymmetrically placed on the long wall

-14 feet apart

-42 degrees of toe

-12 feet from the LP

Center channel cross-fired pair, 9 feet from the LP.

LS & RS are asymmetrically placed on the back wall

-45 degrees of toe

-raised with the tweeters 55" off the floor

-tilted 10 degrees down

-9 feet from the LP.

Sub is in the left rear corner.

No acoustic treatments beyond full Berber carpeting, a plush couch, and a plush reclining chair. Pic is in my profile.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

• 3 months later...

I've currently got about 40 responses (listening room length, width, height).  The arithmetic mean currently stands at:

ave. length - 21.1 ft

ave. width  - 18 ft

ave. height -   9 ft

3D room size plot.GIF

More people would make a difference in the results.  I'm currently toying with 3D plots of the data, so more data points actually increases visualization of data groupings. 

Please list your room size(s) (that's three numbers) if you haven't already done so.  The Klipsch forum is currently beating diyAudio forum in terms of number of responses. 

Help make the Klipsch forum the most helpful and informative on the web by writing in your three room dimension numbers.  The current goal is 100 rooms--and beating that goal by a significant amount would be most useful.

TIA

23L x 15W x 10.5 H

Front stage on the long wall. Dampened with heavy curtains, micro suede sectional and acoustic panels on side walls at first reflection points. Ceiling is somewhat different than the norm....

wylfQcUm.jpg1ltKoiEm.jpg

• Like 2

My finished basement is 14 X 26 X 7.5.  Three fortes along the 14" end.  Two evid 4.2 for surround duty.  Listening position centered ten feet from end wall,  speakers two feet out.  Currently two blankets hanging at first reflection points on the side.  Two rolls of R19 set in the two front corners and and a big bag of Roxul SafenSound laying against a side wall.   Basement is currently my office, but will retire within the year to start the theater mods.

• Moderators

Just seen this.

Room is 24' wide and 18' deep to that pole behind the sofa, the ceiling is sloped 18" front to back, higher end over the sofa.

The beam behind the sofa ends that room but it's completely open for another 16' and a little wider than the living room, It's the kitchen, dining room.

For ht, 3 forte's are mounted on the living room side of that beam pointing kind of down to the middle of the room.

It works

post-9700-0-60020000-1467386370_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Just seen this.

Room is 24' wide and 18' deep to that pole behind the sofa, the ceiling is sloped 18" front to back, higher end over the sofa.

The beam behind the sofa ends that room but it's completely open for another 16' and a little wider than the living room, It's the kitchen, dining room.

For ht, 3 forte's are mounted on the living room side of that beam pointing kind of down to the middle of the room.

It works

I had to buy a pair of Forte to get my center speaker.  so I now I have one left over.  My Evids 4.2 sound good,  but really low efficiency compared to the front forte. I was looking at lots of real surround speakers and just got confused.  For the price of them I might as well look this year for another set of forte and I can match you.   You are my hero!

• Moderators

No way, I would make a sorry hero. :unsure:

At first I was looking for an Academy for a center, but for that price i could just get another pair of forte's.

I found 2 pair of forte ll's and later I found a pair of original fortes, over about 3 years and never did find another pair of ll's within 6-8 hour drive. 

I ended up using three of the ll's across the front and with the extra ll as a rear center 6.1. The rear L & R are original fortes, I love the sound of 3 identical speakers across the front and the rears are plenty close enough for a match.

You can't see the sub in the pic, it's a danely spud clone and it's on the right wall next to the MWM.

Edited by dtel

• 2 weeks later...

Thus far, I've collected 65 listening room sizes.  Here is a plot of those room sizes.  Visualize the points as the far corner of the room, in feet, with the other corner at the origin:

post-26262-0-69100000-1468424146_thumb.g

The stats are:  Width   Length   Height  Volume (ft^3)

Mean            17.5    22.2     8.9     3608.7

Median          16      21       8.5     3100

Mode            16      24       8.0     2688

STDEV            5.1     8.7     1.4     2505.7

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

I'm aware from mining room size data from the forum--looking at older posts where the room sizes were mentioned--that there is probably under-representation of smaller listening room sizes in this survey.  It's much better to have those room sizes, too. 

Feel free to contribute, and especially if your room dimensions are below the statistical averages mentioned above.  The idea is to get an accurate picture of this nebulous topic. 

Chris

Edited by Chris A