How's TIDAL now?

Arguably a better alternative. How much for high end player for a high end system? How much for the record collection? How much for the rack/cabinet to store them?

I imagine I can get 10 years (conservatively speaking)or so of digital play time before I realize comparative loss. But then, that isn't taking into account that I have more selection coming out every month that I don't have to physically buy and store - the bad songs with the good songs being inseparable. In essence, the cost is lower to 'not own' the physical copies.

I suppose there are disadvantages to either preference. Being preferences and all.

Depends on weather or not you want to listen to zeros and ones or real music.  Why bother with Klipsch speakers when a car radio will do just as well.

I'm also sure these streaming sites would never waste your time by playing a song you don't want to hear, but maybe have a promotional stake in, and of course, computers are infallible when it comes to delineating your tastes.

Ya know, cd's and their digital streaming ilk theoretically sound better, but they have some kinda subliminal distortion that drives me buggy.  Cd's I'm always turning down, lps I'm always reaching over to inch up the volume.

You are not listening loud enough :)

Depends on weather or not you want to listen to zeros and ones or real music.

You mean like scratching a piece of plastic with a needle? B)

And all this time I thought I had to go to a concert to hear real music.

Concerts are not "REAL" music!

You don't get the snaps, crackles, and pops that way!

Roger

• Like 1

Roger

Yes but you get the guy three rows ahead of you coughing, the woman to your left digging into her purse to silence her vibrating phone, and the guy behind you who insists on tapping his foot like he is a reincarnated rabbit!

Point being... there are distractions no matter how we listen to music.  I know there are some purists who claim vinyl is just the only option because it is faithful to the original recording and I know there are people who claim a digital music file is more true to the original.  I doubt you can convince them otherwise regardless because people have preferences.  I say let people enjoy the music how they wish - I don't really care although I freely admit I will offer an opinion if someone asks.

Much better and you can keep the songs:

That is a beautiful piece!

Is it yours Thebes?

Roger

I wish.  Lifted from the internet, but I did finish this plinth today for my Technics SP25. Two layers baltic birch and one mdf. Rega arm, Ortofon OM30 cart.

post-12696-0-09720000-1457036495_thumb.j

Roger

Yes but you get the guy three rows ahead of you coughing, the woman to your left digging into her purse to silence her vibrating phone, and the guy behind you who insists on tapping his foot like he is a reincarnated rabbit!

Point being... there are distractions no matter how we listen to music.  I know there are some purists who claim vinyl is just the only option because it is faithful to the original recording and I know there are people who claim a digital music file is more true to the original.  I doubt you can convince them otherwise regardless because people have preferences.  I say let people enjoy the music how they wish - I don't really care although I freely admit I will offer an opinion if someone asks.

Just cause your new here doesn't mean you have to flip-flop on this question.  Battle lines are being drawn.  Armies are on the march. Pick a side or remain neutral and be bombarded by both sides. :D

Well how about something ever more new-fangled: :D

I see you use something to get on the internet...smoke signals not working???...time marches on... :D

Bill

I know, I got me one of them thar fancy, smancy flip phones and a portable Walkman cd player with ear buds and everything.

Ya know, cd's and their digital streaming ilk theoretically sound better, but they have some kinda subliminal distortion that drives me buggy. Cd's I'm always turning down, lps I'm always reaching over to inch up the volume.

I've always had a hard time with cd's myself......until I added tubes and DSP to the mix. Now I'm hooked and there's no going back.

The concerts I go to, I can't notice or even hear any of those things. Heck, when the concert is over I can't even hear.

Well how about something ever more new-fangled: :D

I see you use something to get on the internet...smoke signals not working???...time marches on... :D

Bill

I know, I got me one of them thar fancy, smancy flip phones and a portable Walkman cd player with ear buds and everything.

Do they make turntables that can hang off your belt?

Arguably a better alternative. How much for high end player for a high end system? How much for the record collection? How much for the rack/cabinet to store them?

I imagine I can get 10 years (conservatively speaking)or so of digital play time before I realize comparative loss. But then, that isn't taking into account that I have more selection coming out every month that I don't have to physically buy and store - the bad songs with the good songs being inseparable. In essence, the cost is lower to 'not own' the physical copies.

I suppose there are disadvantages to either preference. Being preferences and all.

Depends on weather or not you want to listen to zeros and ones or real music.  Why bother with Klipsch speakers when a car radio will do just as well.

I'm also sure these streaming sites would never waste your time by playing a song you don't want to hear, but maybe have a promotional stake in, and of course, computers are infallible when it comes to delineating your tastes.

Ya know, cd's and their digital streaming ilk theoretically sound better, but they have some kinda subliminal distortion that drives me buggy.  Cd's I'm always turning down, lps I'm always reaching over to inch up the volume.

It took me several digital iterations to get to the three box system which still has listener fatigue greater than an old Dual 510 TT with Grado Silver cart. All listeners are different.

Well I've gone modern. Picked up a California Audio Labs Icon Mark II cd player today.   Circa mid-90's and its got 18 of those Burr Brownie-bit thingies, and its got one of those Toss-A-Link outies.

What's next Thebes?  Streaming? 

Sorry,  but noway. I read today that Spotify and Pandora consider K-Pop to be a "genre".

I shouldn't have typed that last sentence out loud, now my stomach is feeling queasy.