RP-280

dncdesign

Hi - Always wanted Klipsch since I heard a pair of LaScala in the 80s. So when I saw the reduced price of the RP-280 I jumped all over (2). Now I need an amp and would love a Emotiva but no budget right now. So looking at a decent 2 channel receiver to pair up with my Sony AV1020 and JBL L80s. The RP-280 is rated at 150 watt and rule of thumb is 80% so that leaves 120 watt. Unfortunately most of the receivers out there today are crap and the output is so low.

Any advice?

Dnc

Oh, if you can find a Luxman R-117(160w/ch) for under $300.00, grab it without hesitation.  I will guarantee you it will be the best sounding stereo receiver you will ever own.  Tons of dynamic headroom.

Trust me on this.

Bill

Just may do that - I've been looking on Craigslist  - an old Stereo receiver as they made much more power back then. Today seems everything is 100 watt, then they try to disguise the output as 6 ohm and 1% instead of the true 20hz to 20kHz at .03%... yadda....

The RP-280 just shipped out of Orlando, should have the tomorrow or Saturday... but for now I may go to Walmart and get a $100 Insignia NS-STR514 - how much cheaper can you get :(

Hi - Always wanted Klipsch since I heard a pair of LaScala in the 80s. So when I saw the reduced price of the RP-280 I jumped all over (2). Now I need an amp and would love a Emotiva but no budget right now. So looking at a decent 2 channel receiver to pair up with my Sony AV1020 and JBL L80s. The RP-280 is rated at 150 watt and rule of thumb is 80% so that leaves 120 watt. Unfortunately most of the receivers out there today are crap and the output is so low.

Any advice?

Dnc

I have new and old receivers. 

New - Outlaw Retro 100WC and is under rated.    http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

Old - Sansui AU series, Pioneer etc.  

You won't find anything built like the old unless you go into the 4k+ range.    The Outlaw they skimped on the knobs and put it all into the audio.  On the old stuff they have quality outside and in.

Power ratings in newer stuff seems to be over rated.  My Denon 7.1 135 watt per channel feels weaker than older 65 watt per channel.   Just because it says 120 watt does not mean its really 120 watt on some gear.

• Like 1

Harrison Firearm is 2 miles from me on East Bay... my rifle is made in Flooridah in Titusville at Knights Armament... SR15 E3 Stoner rifle.

Randy Savage died several years ago from a heart attack.. I liked Macho and Elizabeth.. Hulk is around here too. He's got issues.. lots of problems.

I've been in Paducah at the Ingersoll Rand plant... 

Edited by dncdesign
  • Like 1

PS - MetropolisLakeOutfitters, have you been to Eckerd Hall in Clearwater?

Seats 3,000 and is beautiful place...

I saw YES there 3 years ago. Paid $150 a seat 17 rows back. Steve Howe was awesome and what can I say about Chris Squire - you'll be missed...

I just got the 280 a couple days ago. I'm going to be writing a full review, but it is already apparent that they will tell you what you put in to them. Careful with your pairing of amp, they will tell you if you if it's good or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The RP-280 just shipped out of Orlando, should have the tomorrow or Saturday... but for now I may go to Walmart and get a $100 Insignia NS-STR514 - how much cheaper can you get

Clearwater?  Cool.

If that is the case, forgo that Insignia and look on accessories4less.com(Apopka) for a stereo receiver or integrated amp.

Better yet, consider my, not in use at the moment Cambridge Audio 640A integrated amp.  I will give you a very good deal.

PM me if interested.  You can demo first if you like.

Bill

Audio 640A = 75 watt per channel, I need 100 or 120

I missed Sammy Hagar last winter but won't again - if he comes back.

Roger Hodgson of Supertramp plays once a year too.

Why do you need 100-120? I happen to have mine hooked up to 105, but it's certainly not needed. I have my Heresy hooked up to 30 and that's more than I'll ever need.

Good quality amps will produce quality sound. Unless you will be really blasting them or need enormous headroom, I'm not sure why 100-120 has to be met.

http://support.klipschgroupinc.com/kb/faq.php?id=69

ExampleKlipsch Reference R-28F Floorstanding Speaker

RMS Rating: 150 watts Continuous / 600 watts Peak

Minimum (per Rule of Thumb): .8 x 150 = 120 watts.

Maximum (per Rule of Thumb): 2 x 150 = 300 watts

Acceptable Range: 120 watts – 300 watts

Anything larger is potentially excessive power. Anything smaller can cause damage from the amplifier clipping and digital distortion. Hint: that’s not good.

Edited by dncdesign

I missed Sammy Hagar last winter but won't again - if he comes back.

Roger Hodgson of Supertramp plays once a year too.

Why do you need 100-120? I happen to have mine hooked up to 105, but it's certainly not needed. I have my Heresy hooked up to 30 and that's more than I'll ever need.

Good quality amps will produce quality sound. Unless you will be really blasting them or need enormous headroom, I'm not sure why 100-120 has to be met.

I have the same question.

I have my Yamaha A-S1000(48 pounds) rated at "90w/channel" driving my RB-75's and believe me, they do not lack any punch, drive, or volume in a 4000ft3 room.

As a matter of fact, I used the same 640A v2 to drive the 75's before I bought the Yamaha.

I am not trying to sell you on the 640A v2 but believe me you do not "need" 120w/channel to drive them to ear bleeding levels.  Headroom is nice but a quality 75w to 100w amplification is plenty for a stereo rig in most listening rooms.

I am all about horsepower and headroom and do "prefer" 150+w/channel for larger tower speakers in larger rooms but I know from owning my Yamaha that high quality "90w/ch" is plenty, plenty, plenty.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

I'd take an integrated amp with 30/50 watts over a 120 watt cheap Wal-Mart receiver any day.  75 watts from an integrated amp is likely much nicer than you give it credit for.  30 watts of clean power will run you out of the room in many setups.  I wouldn't get too hung up on the watts.  The Klipsch call center guys are apparently obsessed with this, some of them tell everybody it has to be a perfect match.  

Cheap is the budget - its a throw away

I also wouldn't view it that way.  Find something you can get your money back out of if you ever want to upgrade.  Maybe consider a cheap Crown XLS amp.  It's all the power you'd ever need for these.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

You are absolutely right about an integrated amp and my old Sony STR AV 1020 at 120 watt is a power house compared to my new Sony.  

My end game is the Motiva XPA-5, good price for 5 channel at 200 watts RMS @ 8 ohm (0.05% THD) - I just can't buy the amp & pre-amp right now....

I had my JBL re-cone in Tampa. The Speaker Exchange on Hillsborough  - old tech guy and he told me the JBL L80 & L100 are still great speakers but need power.

Spec calls for 150 and he told me put 200 into them...

So I will use the JBL for front, the RP-280 for rear and the 5 satellites from my ProMedia 5.1 (the bash amp died) as surround...

PS - that is a Bose 501 I bought in college in the 70s as the stand..

Your Audio 640A  is 35 amp - what do you want for it? I may have to come to Orlando next couple days..

IMG_0287.jpg

Edited by dncdesign

If all you want is a hold me over.  I would find a 60 to 100 watt old integrated amp on craigs or ebay.

I got a 1982 yamaha receiver for 30.00 that is 60 watts.   Other than a little static in one of the knobs it sounds pretty darn good.   I hooked it up to KG4s and chorus and it did fine.  It might not have the power to blast it but I could live with it for a hold me over no problem.    So there are tons of amps out there that will fit the bill.

This is the one I got for $30.00 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-RX-550-Stereo-Receiver-/252290931194?hash=item3abdb619fa:g:sPoAAOSwzgRWxNsY

old yamaha, marantz, sansui, would fit the hold me over bill.  Just have to hunt for good deal.

Edited by BobK