RP-280

dncdesign

I got a 1982 yamaha receiver for 30.00 that is 60 watts.   Other than a little static in one of the knobs it sounds pretty darn good.   I hooked it up to KG4s and chorus and it did fine.  It might not have the power to blast it but I could live with it for a hold me over no problem.    So there are tons of amps out there that will fit the bill.

You can get electronic contact cleaner in a spray can for the static - I've been looking on CL

So I will use the JBL for front, the RP-280 for rear and the 5 satellites from my ProMedia 5.1 (the bash amp died) as surround...

What makes no sense about trying to match the receiver's power like this is that the power ratings that you get are typically for 2 channels driven.  As soon as you connect several speakers and drive several channels, that number goes way down.  I've seen seemingly powerful receivers only pump out maybe 55 watts per channel with all channels driven.  Worrying about your speakers only getting 75 watts but then turning around and taking a supposedly 120 watt per channel cheap receiver but hooking up 5-7 speakers to it and thinking it's fine doesn't make any sense, just usually doesn't work that way.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

My MP3 & MP4 are on Hard Drive so I come out of my PC with 3 lines to 3 receivers - for now...

Okay here's the long story again.  The Sony STR A/V1020 drives my JBL L80. I have Pro Media 5.1 and when the BASH amp died I bought a Sony 5.1 receiver to drive the 5 satellites and connected both to the PC. When I saw the RP-280 on sale I jumped on it and now need a temporary receiver to drive them until I can buy a good integrated amp for all involved... 

CMR-200_RGB_856-350x230.jpg

Edited by dncdesign

Here are a couple of suggestions in your neck of the woods.

Yamaha integrated amp but over your budget.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/ele/5431626488.html

Marantz non HDMI AVR.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/ele/5471302816.html

A couple of NAD AVRs, one flagship like I own and one two levels down form that.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/ele/5437682084.html ---offer $200.00

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/ele/5433332862.html ---offer $300.00

I will send a PM with 640A v2 price.

Bill 

• Like 2

My MP3 & MP4 are on Hard Drive so I come out of my PC with 3 lines to 3 receivers - for now...

Okay here's the long story again.  The Sony STR A/V1020 drives my JBL L80. I have Pro Media 5.1 and when the BASH amp died I bought a Sony 5.1 receiver to drive the 5 satellites and connected both to the PC. When I saw the RP-280 on sale I jumped on it and now need a temporary receiver to drive them until I can buy a good integrated amp for all involved... 

If you haven't thrown out the 5.1 sub, there is a guy that knows a lot about repairing them. Then you could use the Sony to drive the 280's for the time being. Those pre-HDMI receivers Willand pointed would be a good direction. If you don't need AM/FM, you could go pro amp dnc pointed out.

Here's the card for the Promedia 5.1:

post-47699-0-64720000-1385657767_thumb.j

He actually has a couple different rebuilt and upgraded 5.1 plate amps for sale:

My Promedia Ultra has one of his kits in it.
Edited by mustang guy

My MP3 & MP4 are on Hard Drive so I come out of my PC with 3 lines to 3 receivers - for now...

Okay here's the long story again. The Sony STR A/V1020 drives my JBL L80. I have Pro Media 5.1 and when the BASH amp died I bought a Sony 5.1 receiver to drive the 5 satellites and connected both to the PC. When I saw the RP-280 on sale I jumped on it and now need a temporary receiver to drive them until I can buy a good integrated amp for all involved...

Wait you have 3 receivers each driving a different set of speakers all in the same setup? And want a 4th receiver/integrated amp? Am I lost here?

Mustang, I have the BASH amp. Took it to a place who worked for me before but their quality has crashed and burned.  I'm afraid they did more damage then good. I want the BASH amp working again so I am interested as they pump out some power but get hot. From day one I said I would take off the back plate to install a squirrel cage fan and never did. I even gave them the schematic from http://www.thompdale.com/bash_amplifier/5-1/5-1_bash_amp.htm and they still screwed it up. 

So tell me what the difference is between the Crown PA amp and the NAD - why I can't run (2) Crown XLS 1000 amps?

So tell me what the difference is between the Crown PA amp and the NAD - why I can't run (2) Crown XLS 1000 amps?

The crown is just an amp while the NAD is an integrated amp(preamp/amp combo).

Is your Sony going to be used as the preamp/processor with the Crown amps or are you planning on using the NAD integrated amp only to drive the RP280Fs?

Bill

Oh yeah, sometime I dont read what I see Bill ...  may be its better to bite the bullet and get two A-S301s..

yamaha-a-s301-noir.jpg

I am still confused. :unsure:

Are you planning on using one A-S301 drive the 280s and the other to drive another stereo system?

Bill

One to drive the RP-280 and one to drive the L80s -

I'd like to add two R-12SW someday..

Minimum RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz) 60 W + 60 W (0.019% THD) at $350.00 each..

A-S3013-800x600.jpg

Edited by dncdesign

One to drive the RP-280 and one to drive the L80s -

I'd like to add two R-12SW someday..

Minimum RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz) 60 W + 60 W (0.019% THD) at $350.00 each..

A-S3013-800x600.jpg

I understand, two stereo rigs and taking the Sony out of the equation.

Bill

Yes Bill, at $350 which isn't bad and have two similar amps on the rack. Already dumping $1k plus new spool of wire and banana plug plus tax is up to $1150.. and the L80s are old cross over design and the want power but OMG do they rock... I bought them in 1992 - so call it a $2k addition and be done with it... problem is I'm seeing out of stock on the S301...

Edited by dncdesign

Audio 640A = 75 watt per channel, I need 100 or 120

With all due respect, you probably don't.  The difference between 75 watts and 120 is probably less than 3 db, tops, and you can't hear the difference if only 2 db.

As was pointed out, the power ratings on today's receivers are just plain deceptive.  Onkyo is now putting out power specs rated at ONE channel driven! 

If you can get a used unit from a forum member you will be way ahead, dollar-for-dollar.

Im still not understanding. What is the end goal here? Twin stereo rigs in the same room? If it were me I would be dumping my cash into 2 good speakers and 1 or 2 good subs. No twin systems and no expensive electronics until you are happy with your main speakers and sub.