R112SW Rattle

iaclimber4

I'm hearing a rattle with the R112SW, calibrated the system with the Marantz 5010 using Audyssey, music, TV all sound great.  

I've noticed something that sounds like rattling (almost like something loose) coming from the R112SW behind the subwoofer cone only for really low frequency effects like a shuttle take off or an explosion.  Some movies tested include Wall-E, Transformers, Mad Max.  I'm wondering if i'm overdriving the sub the cone does move a lot but again not exceedingly loud volume?  I can't imagine that i am, given that the whole system at seating position doesn't exceed 85db (Marantz volume is at 66-70).  The sub will rattle using a test tone (Wall-E disc) has the GAIN at only at half or less and cross over at 60Hz the spl meter read 75db right in front of the sub. Plus, the R112SW spec sheet says if should be able to output 118db (not that i'm trying to get there)

Any advice if i should try specific Hz or target db?  I've never heard the rattle outside of movies.  It's definitely not the subwoofer chuff i've read about from the port.  Perhaps the R112SW wasn't the best idea for movie LFE....the R115SW is on it's way so i'll have to compare.  I'll see if i can't post a video with sound...

Edit: Video:

https://youtu.be/M5nfB-TDX3I

Edited by iaclimber4

Honestly, when i first heard it i though it was the TV stand rattling, so relatively subtle, but noticeable.  I would consider it a higher frequency sound.   I got closer and noticed it sounded like it was behind the subwoofer cone.  Moved the sub onto carpet to see if it was a base/hardwood issue.  Same thing.  

He is over driving it.  The sound is the woofer's voice coil hitting the back plate inside the driver.  Which is most notable when subjected to high intensity low frequency signals.  Lower the sub volume to 1/2 or less and set the receiver sub out to "0" and see if it improves.

dB would depend on frequency as well, right?  Lower frequencies would require more movement of the subwoofer cone in order to generate "x" volume.  I'll play with the receiver settings (calibrated with Audyssey, gain set in the middle, XO at ~60Hz) and see if it makes a difference. 

dB would depend on frequency as well, right? Lower frequencies would require more movement of the subwoofer cone in order to generate "x" volume.

Not necessarily.

The spec sheet says that this sub is good to 24Hz.  Normally that's the tuning frequency of the enclosure.  Output drops off fast after that and manufacturers normally install a high pass filter at that frequency to keep the driver from bottoming out below the fs of the box as it can no longer protect it.  If the box is indeed tuned to 24 Hz, the driver should almost be still at that frequency.  If you play a test tone at that frequency @75dB measured within 3' of the box and hear the noise, something else is going on.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

For those of you who are still stumped on why your subwoofer is rattling, I have an answer. The sub isn’t blown, your box is fine, the amp isn’t going out. All it is, is the that the glue that connect to voice coil to the the driver has come apart or cracked, thus making the rattle you hear from the subwoofer.  to make the repair is relatively simple but unfortunately the way Klipsch designed the basket on the subwoofer, it makes it damn near impossible to fit your finger in the basket to re-glue the voice coil.

• 11 months later...

What would you suggest regarding the rattle on my R120SW?  I don’t want to send the sub even thou it’s under warranty if I can do this myself.  

For those of you who are still stumped on why your subwoofer is rattling, I have an answer. The sub isn’t blown, your box is fine, the amp isn’t going out. All it is, is the that the glue that connect to voice coil to the the driver has come apart or cracked, thus making the rattle you hear from the subwoofer.  to make the repair is relatively simple but unfortunately the way Klipsch designed the basket on the subwoofer, it makes it damn near impossible to fit your finger in the basket to re-glue the voice coil.