Heresy III for HT

JOEnAZ

I've searched, but not found a lot of folks using the Heresy III for LCRs.  Seems you see a lot of hubbub here and there about DIY kits that have similar, albeit 2-way, designs and physical forms.  Now, I would be the first to say that I don't have nor would I ever have a configuration where Heresy IIIs were placed on the floor.  I have a large room and would either be on ear-level stands or in niches (with appropriate EQ to "defeat" the 2pi boundary gain effect), but it seems that this speaker would be a great choice for a room with longer throws and no necessity for -3dB response below 80Hz.

Anybody out there using these as LCRs?  Impressions?

• Like 1

I'm using KP-201's for my L&R (and phantom center), which are essentially Heresy II's. It's not exactly the model you're asking about, but it's definitely the same family. I have them on $10 Ikea Lack end tables, which put's them right at ear height and the HF horn almost at the middle of my 73" screen. Paired with my large horn subwoofer they are excellent for both movies and music.

• Like 1

I would not hesitate to recommend for LCR. I have not used the Heresy III but have used both the heresy 1 and Heresy II and with a sub, it would be hard to beat at any price.Using them more as a bookshelf (on speaker stands) would uncouple them from the floor and reduce already thin bass output. However; you are talking about utilizing them with a sub so that doesn't matter. They are very good at long throws like you want. They don't have the efficiency of their big brother, the LaScala. What size is the room you are using? 

I'm assuming some of the 2 way kits your talking about are the seos designs. If looks wasn't important I'd give the diy seos option a very hard look. I went from palladium to seos designs and I'm very happy except they don't look near as nice.

• Like 1

I loaned a buddy of mine my Heresy with Crites CT125 in them to use in his HT for two years they sounded wonderful (he had a single Heresy for the centre). Chunky speakers but the best sound he has ever had in his HT.

PS: I have two sets of H3 now both ultra modified they are the best Heresy ever.

Edited by moray james

post-4680-0-86720000-1457072118_thumb.jp

Heresy III's. Nope. Wouldn't want to place them that way! Audyssey has them crossing over to the subs (which are in diagonal corners) at 40 hz! Room is about 26 x 23. They sound great to me.

Edited by Kevin S

image.jpeg

Heresy III's. Nope. Wouldn't want to place them that way! Audyssey has them crossing over to the subs (which are in diagonal corners) at 40 hz! Room is about 26 x 23. They sound great to me.

yikes that's low. Have you tried crossing them over higher? I can't imagine heresey having much output at 40hz. Mine never did. I run big speakers now with dual 15's and still cross them at 80

Rudimentary checking with test tones and my Rat Shack meter, without Audyssey engaged, seems to bear it out. So does listening without Audyssey. I have re-run Audyssey several times after moving the subs around and widening out the Heresy's and 40hz was the number every time. The miracle of boundary reinforcement/room gain I guess.

image.jpeg

yikes that's low. Have you tried crossing them over higher? I can't imagine heresey having much output at 40hz. Mine never did. I run big speakers now with dual 15's and still cross them at 80

I have tried higher and keep going back. The blend between the Heresy's and the subs seems very seamless at 40.

Edited by Kevin S

Audessey usually likes to set things about 20 hz lower than it ought to be in my opinion.  Centers, mains, surrounds, doesn't matter.  I actually prefer that sound at low volumes but Audessey doesn't seem to account for what will happen when you crank it to high heavens.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the replies. Forgive me for being away so long after the initial post; just got buried with work for a while.

I would not hesitate to recommend for LCR. I have not used the Heresy III but have used both the heresy 1 and Heresy II and with a sub, it would be hard to beat at any price.Using them more as a bookshelf (on speaker stands) would uncouple them from the floor and reduce already thin bass output. However; you are talking about utilizing them with a sub so that doesn't matter. They are very good at long throws like you want. They don't have the efficiency of their big brother, the LaScala. What size is the room you are using? 

It's complicated. Room volume is impossible to calculate due to large open floor plan. Also complicating is the installation which is in niches/cubbies that are just big enough for the Heresies with some toe in room in the width dimension.  This puts them in a 2pi acoustic situation with the accompanying 200Hz boost, but Audyssey Pro handles that easily, so that is not an issue.  At least those niches are at or just above ear height. The center niche will not permit an Heresy (read below about DIY SEOS).

I'm assuming some of the 2 way kits your talking about are the seos designs. If looks wasn't important I'd give the diy seos option a very hard look. I went from palladium to seos designs and I'm very happy except they don't look near as nice.

Yes, that's right.  I recently built an 88 Special to test and utilize as a center since the niche I have for it is close to that dimension. In free space in the room (well clear of boundaries), the 88 Special is very impressive.  I hamstring it a bit in the niche installation, but as long as I keep it out at least flush with the wall plane, it still does great (after Audyssey Pro calibration).  DIYSG's Fusion-12 Tempest model is fairly similar in dimensions to the Heresy, but a bit deeper. That depth robs me of the room I need to be able to toe-in that speaker...which is a necessity to cover the primary listening area.  Hence, the Heresy with its slightly smaller dimensions which permits the toe-in, the 3-way design, and the sensitivity seem like it would be an excellent choice and work well with the 88 Special.  I also notice that the Heresy mid and woofer cross pretty low...which is pretty close to where the 88 Special crosses...considerably lower than most residential "hi-fi" speakers.

I only require/expect any speaker to be good/linear down to 80Hz. That provides freedom to place nominally for LCR location, and permits nominal LF acoustic response with Sub placement to continue the linear response in the lower octave and a half or so.

With regards to Audyssey, I have a lot of experience with it and Audyssey Pro.  The "problem" with Audyssey is that there is not a verification pass after the calibration run. It presumes it did what it intended.  As you guys have noted, it often has not. A decent and affordable RTA like OmniMic or similar can easily be used to verify the with-and-without effectiveness of Audyssey.  I use the same mic positions as used in the Audyssey passes to spatial average to verify.  You can turn off your subs and see how each speaker has done, then engage the subs and see how the splice and general smoothness turned out (with and without Dynamic EQ turned on).  EDIT: You can also check the crossover selection effectiveness while the subs are off.  Average at two different crossover points (40Hz vs 80Hz) and see if the lower really make that big a difference. Then do the same with the subs on  Typically, the smoother response with the subs will occur with the higher LCR crossover (presuming around 80Hz).  That higher crossover also allows the LCR woofer(s) to have much more headroom for dynamics on sound in the 80Hz to 200Hz range where there are a lot (gunfire, percussion instruments, etc.).

I love DEQ, but find that it often chooses a trim level for the subs that is too loud at lower-than-Reference listening. The "tell" on the heavy LF is usually in coloring male voices/dialog. Using the RTA, you can easily quantify the LF difference between no-DEQ and DEQ and customize it for your common volume setting (probably less that Reference).  I find that DEQ LF perception then tracks quite consistently across all the levels at which I listen. Yes, that's a bit of subjectivity, but not so much.  You're only "compensating" for a bit for the Audyssey choice whether part of its algorithm or an acoustic anomaly that is causing the heavy LF. You aren't defeating it, just shifting its overall amplitude. It will still be tracking dynamically.

FWIW :)

I was hoping for some good subjective impression comments on the Heresy IIIs as LCRs...in case you have them to share. :)

Edited by JOEnAZ

What about a cinema-8? Would that work for your depth requirement? I have the fusion 8 center which is a horizontal cinema 8. But maybe a trio of cinema 8's would work and not break the bank.

That's a logical choice...and I've looked at it and every model there, given the good experience with the 88 Special.  The Cinema-8 is a bit too tall to fit in the niches I have.  I have expansion room downward in the niche, but not without major cutting. If I were to start cutting for more room, I'd go with the Cinema-10 Max...which is narrow in width enough to be able to toe-in, and would be very powerful down to my 80Hz crossover.  One downside to the Cinema-10 is no flat pack.  Rather than cut downward and build two more speakers, I began to consider the Heresy III.

Thanks for the reply and idea.  Very welcomed.  On any Sunday...a great idea can appear from anywhere. :)

• 3 weeks later...