Klipsch question

Dr Morbius

Hi,   I have a question for a friend (and myself included) - he has a room 12 foot by 17' by 8' high. He likes my Cornscala's, actually loves them but they are too big for the wife. I told him there's other fish in the sea, you know. Some reason he wants to keep her so I'm trying to help him out. He was always touting Bose this and Bose that so I said Bose up your nose, you gotta hear my Cornscala's. So he needs smaller set of Klipsch. Now I've seen you guys talk a lot about the semi-Heritage line of Chorus II's and the KG 5.5 speakers of which everyone speaks highly of and since I never heard either of them play I wondered which would play better with his HH Scott 299C amp and he listens to Classical and Rock & Roll as well as Classical Rock. (No rap)

Thanks for your help.

Chorus ll are going to require more power than either a Cornwall or a KG 5.5. I think that you are under estimating the KG 5.5, when fitted with a set of Crites ti tweeter diaphragms it is a very good loudspeaker. You only have thirty watts a channel to work with I think the KG 5.5 will give you more quality sound than the Chorus ll will with that amount of power at hand. If you had double the power I think that things would swing toward the Chorus ll. I believe that the Chorus ll is a more difficult load to drive compared to the KG 5.5.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

Dr. Morbius, my forte II performed holodeck-esque wonders in a room of very similar dimensions.  In that room, power simply was not an issue, and I doubt it will be for you (even if you go with something less sensitive than fortes, KG 5.5, or others).  I think that you may have trouble with the larger three-way speakers and necessarily short listening distance in that small of a room.  I was able to get away with it because the fortes were deeply corner loaded (but off the floor, and heavily toed in) keeping the distance to the listening area >12'.

If you have the flexibility for more room hogging, free standing placement, you can (would be advised to) use smaller speakers, as discussed in Maynard's thread here.  Power wouldn't be an issue with that approach either, and it too can perform incredible acts of stereophonic holography.

That's a pretty good room dimension wise to work with.  Good luck!    

Edited by Ski Bum

The Chorus is much more sensitive, and the HH Scott he has is only about 30 watts. That should play a role in the decision.

yes a Chorus ll is rated as being more sensitive (but it is not really 101db that is marketing BS) it is more sensitive but it is also a more difficult load so harder for the amp to drive, it will play loud with 30 watts but I don't think it will sound as good as the same amp driving an easier load that being the KG 5.5. It really depends upon how loud and how realistic your friend wants things to sound. Thirty watts might spin his crank in which case who cares what he chooses he will be just as happy?

If you friend has the cash a new alternate which is also a very easy load and which would sound very good would be the R28F. The R28F will play lower than the Chorus will as low or lower than the KG5.5 will and it is a much more attractive option than either the Chorus or the KG 5.5. They were just on Sale for $450.00 a pair and will be again this fall.

• Like 1

The Chorus will get the loudest. Not sure where the fortes are relative to Heresies on the sensitivity scale, but probably pretty close.  

Fortes dig the deepest and IMO are the most even keeled top to bottom, if not as sensitive as Chorus.  Heresies would need subs to compete with either Chorus or forte on their own.

Hey, thanks for all the info guys, and Carbon 66 - my those are beautiful Heresies!! … which brings me to my own question. What would be best for Classical music with a 30 watt tube amp - the Chorus II, Forte II or Heresy 2 or 3 ?

Having owned Heresy II, Forte II and Chorus II... The Chorus II, from about 40Hz on up, is one of the smoothest and sweetest sounding speakers Klipsch has made. And since it's a bit taller that the Forte II, would provide the best imaging and sound stage. But, it really performs best (in my opinion) with a healthy (at least 100+ wpc) amplifier.

The Forte II has a warmer, slightly fuller sound since it plays down into the 30Hz range. And if you're talking just classical music, with a 30 wpc tube amp, it would probably be the best choice of the three.

And unless you're just listening at background levels, the Heresy II would need a sub to sufficiently fill in the lowest octaves (below 50Hz). It would also need to be up off the floor to compete (imaging wise) with the Forte and Chorus.

Of course, every room, setup and pair of ears will have a lot to do with the decision...

The Chorus will get the loudest. Not sure where the fortes are relative to Heresies on the sensitivity scale, but probably pretty close.  

Fortes dig the deepest and IMO are the most even keeled top to bottom, if not as sensitive as Chorus.  Heresies would need subs to compete with either Chorus or forte on their own.

Ski Bum,  I myself would not be looking for the loudest speaker of the three, but one that opens up and have the clearest sound and projection.  Clarity and depth is what I'm looking for most of all. And from what has been said here it looks like the Forte is the winner, even beating the Heresy?!?!?

Chorus II hands down, don't even think twice about it. I've ran mine with a little Jolida 102 at 20 wpc and a Carver VTA 20 (also 20 wpc)  and they drove them to about 75% output with authority. Very loud and clear with good bass. Yes, they can handle a lot more power but they don't need it to sound good.

• Like 1

Ski Bum,  I myself would not be looking for the loudest speaker of the three, but one that opens up and have the clearest sound and projection.  Clarity and depth is what I'm looking for most of all. And from what has been said here it looks like the Forte is the winner, even beating the Heresy?!?!?

Why take anyone's word for it?

They are your ears and nobody else knows what you hear.

Why not audition all three with your own music?

Roger

• Like 2